Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:12 AM
Biting ankles since '53
No Pants Island
Joined Feb 2007
2,944 Posts
Discussion
Picasim: Slope soaring sim for iPhone/iPad and Android

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1772069

Bought this at the weekend after seeing it mentioned on a UK forum. Highly configurable and a lot of fun.
I won't say any more, check the linked thread or search for PicaSim on the app store.
mr_editor is offline Find More Posts by mr_editor
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:41 AM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
It's got better slope soaring than Phoenix and it's a tiny fraction of the price

I've enjoyed SSS for 10 years now and having it on my phone is so cool. Thanks Danny!

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:14 AM
Flagstaff, AZ
USA, AZ, Flagstaff
Joined Mar 2003
3,853 Posts
I downloaded the iPhone version this weekend. It was fun to fly Le Fish on a variety of slopes. I did have to lower the elevator rates a lot to make it flyable for me.

While I enjoyed flying on my iPhone; but it was more fun on the iPad... easier on my old eyes.

I would recommend this app for any slope flyer... definitely worth the 99 cents.

Dawson

P.S It was a blast pumping the Jart up into the stratosphere!
dawsonh is offline Find More Posts by dawsonh
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:34 AM
I'd rather be out sloping...
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Jan 2011
1,339 Posts
Have been eyeing it on the Yahoo groups for a while and just purchased it from the iStore!

Cool to finally have it on the iPad!

Jakes
Jak35 is offline Find More Posts by Jak35
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:59 PM
Where is the inspiration
Moira
Joined Feb 2006
809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawsonh View Post
I downloaded the iPhone version this weekend. It was fun to fly Le Fish on a variety of slopes. I did have to lower the elevator rates a lot to make it flyable for me.

While I enjoyed flying on my iPhone; but it was more fun on the iPad... easier on my old eyes.

I would recommend this app for any slope flyer... definitely worth the 99 cents.

Dawson

P.S It was a blast pumping the Jart up into the stratosphere!
How do you get sss on a pad or phone?
wdeighton is offline Find More Posts by wdeighton
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:02 PM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Sorry if I caused confusion; SSS is the desktop PC version that's been around forever, while Picasim is the iOS version - just do a search for it on the App Store

They work very similarly, but Picasim is sort of the more advanced version of SSS, in that there's a very nice GUI letting you select the aircraft model (including thumbnail of the plane) as well as adjust settings (something that had to be done with a text editor previously) as well as select the hill and conditions you want to fly. It's really quite nice, to be honest!

For $0.99 you get a slope soaring simulator that's as good as (if not superior, and yes Phoenix I'm looking at you!) the $200+ commercial offerings out there. And you can use it while you're on the bus (or whatever! )

Steve
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:33 PM
Lost at LAX
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Dec 2005
2,558 Posts
Downloaded to both iPad and iPhone. Lets see how many times I can crash on the way to New York tomorrow
Old Fart is offline Find More Posts by Old Fart
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:43 PM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
I should mention that, lest I've sounded like too much of a shill above: I do not have a commercial relationship of any kind with Danny or the App Store. I'm just an enthusiastic fan.

Back in 2003, SSS was the thing that got me back into slope soaring after having an on/off relationship with it since I was a kid. I subsequently went on to design the 3D and flight models used in SSS for the Weasel, Moth, and Le Fish (the Weasel and Le Fish models are also used in Picasim). I also served as volunteer consultant for Danny on the flight model of the Le Fish (including Madstab elevator on "high" rates) used by Picasim.

He was very kind in giving me name credit on the Le Fish model page as well as a link to SlopeAerobatics.com, my website dedicated to slope and glider aerobatics, but that's the extent of our "business" relationship.

Just wanted to make sure full disclosure was made! Picasim is great and if you own an iDevice, it's well worth the modest cost. Runs great on my iPhone 4.

Steve
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:24 PM
Good, fast or cheap, pick two
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,604 Posts
Nice, and thanks for posting this Steve. I've got it on my iPhone and iPad... so far, the addiction factor is staying under control, but it sure was fun for the first few minutes that I had to check it out. More to come!

Rob
robh is offline Find More Posts by robh
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:43 PM
EPP Extrordinare
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Feb 2008
3,327 Posts
Hey! The Le Fish has a Mad Stab too!
Mr. Combat Certain is online now Find More Posts by Mr. Combat Certain
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:03 PM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orni-freak View Post
Hey! The Le Fish has a Mad Stab too!
Flip out

On my iPhone 4, I find it does them better inverted than upright. In dialing in the flight performance with Danny, we determined this was because of the way the iPhone handles touch detection at the edges of the screen... i.e. it was hard to get a full back input to register, so upright I often get a tight loop rather than a proper flip. Inverted, it flips like it should.

May work differently on other versions of the iPhone or iPad. I've also got a case on my iPhone, so that probably influences it too (when I take the case off, it's easier to make it flip upright).

Steve
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by surfimp; Nov 21, 2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:09 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Apr 2012
33 Posts
This works great on my iPad. I especially like the Weasel. Very cool.
Free fall is offline Find More Posts by Free fall
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:49 AM
United Kingdom, England, Oxford
Joined Jul 2002
199 Posts
With the Le Fish flip - as Steve says I'm pretty sure it's just that the on-screen controller is by default a bit low down on the screen, so you tend to move your finger/thumb off screen and it looses touch. On the Android device I used for most of the testing there's a little rim around the screen which seems to stop this happening - we only realised it was a problem right at the last minute, after submitting it.

What should help is:

- Open Settings/Options and press Advanced

- Scroll down to Controller settings

- Increase the "vertical offset from edge" up to 1 (or less if you prefer)

This will shift the vertical position of the controller so its top is aligned with halfway up the screen. People with an iPad might prefer that too - it can help with physically holding the device. I'll be changing the defaults when I release the next update.

Anyway - I'm glad people seem to be enjoying it! The Windows version is very close in some ways - actually I sent out a build to a few people last night to try. It still needs a little work to convert it from being a touch-screen based app to work more intuitively under a windows based system.
Mr Rowl is online now Find More Posts by Mr Rowl
Old Nov 22, 2012, 05:47 AM
Siv
Trinidad and Tobago, Port of Spain
Joined Jan 2006
181 Posts
I must say, this is great fun - and good for practice for me since I haven't really gotten the hang of flying a plane yet and want to give it a go. One thing that I find odd is that I'm always having to hold up bags of up elevator just for level flight... is this normal?
Siv is online now Find More Posts by Siv
Old Nov 22, 2012, 06:27 AM
United Kingdom, England, Oxford
Joined Jul 2002
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siv View Post
One thing that I find odd is that I'm always having to hold up bags of up elevator just for level flight... is this normal?
The planes are set up to fly level in the conditions I expect them to be flown in... but that might not be the same as what everyone else expects! For example, the Banana flies level on slopes with lots of wind/lift, but if you use it in one of the thermal settings you tend to be pulling back on the stick quite a lot. I guess this is not unrealistic - you need to trim any plane for the conditions.

It's quite easy to do this - after loading the plane/scenery open up settings->controllers and adjust the trims there. Note that (unless you fiddle with the settings) these will get reset every time you load a plane.
Mr Rowl is online now Find More Posts by Mr Rowl