SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 14, 2013, 10:55 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,960 Posts
Hmmmm, just seems that this isn't a very popular plane. I have been watching youtube videos and it appears that this is the same plane as the Ripmax Acro-Wot Foam E.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2013, 12:52 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,782 Posts
chucksolo69,

Yes it is. I assume it's a Chris Foss design. I know a couple of people who own and like them. They seem to fly well, but there are a couple of design flaws, IMHO. Notably, ESC placing and adequate cooling and motor access.

If (more likely when) you nose in an electric plane, you need to be able to get to the motor to take it out and replace it, or fit a new shaft. The motor ESC and battery all need to get good airflow over them to keep them cool.

Chris Foss has designed some great i.c. planes,and the WOT4 and Acro WOT are pretty good electrics, but with some short comings, probably because they're his first electric designs.

Having said that, all electric ARTFs and radio ready planes (receiver ready, PNP, BNF or whatever), tend to have some problems, and benefit from a bit of modding.

I don't personally feel any great desire to own either the WOT4 or the Acro WOT, but if I did, I'd have no real problem sorting out the things that should have been sorted out at the design stage... except for the motor access on the Acro WOT. That is a bit major. As I undersstand it, you'd basically have to slice a chunk of the nose off, then fit a new firewall to mount a motor on, if you needed to repair it, then maybe make a cowl to restore the looks.

Having said that, if the Acro WOT didn't have those design flaws, I'd more than likely have bought one when I first looked into it.

The WOT4 is easier to work on. I've reshafted and replaced motors for an older guy at my club on WOT4s, a few times, and it's not a big deal.
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Old Jun 14, 2013, 03:00 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,960 Posts
Thanks for the info. Yes, I hear you about the motor/ESC access. I had to resort to buying an adapter cable from Tower Hobbies so I could use my Dean's equipped batteries.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Aug 05, 2014, 09:36 PM
Tommy Toy the Crazy Boy
United States, AR, Jonesboro
Joined Mar 2013
443 Posts
Amazingly easy to fly!

I flew my Acro Wot for the first time today. Without a doubt, this is the easiest plane I have ever flown. It takes off beautifully, it will cruise around at about 1/3 throttle, it will do the aerobatics that I am capable of, and it seems to land itself. Never before has my first flight of a plane gone so smoothly. I liked it so much I immediately ordered another.
tmulligan is offline Find More Posts by tmulligan
Old Aug 06, 2014, 12:10 AM
Go Dawgs!!!!!!!
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2No View Post
chucksolo69,

If (more likely when) you nose in an electric plane, you need to be able to get to the motor to take it out and replace it, or fit a new shaft. The motor ESC and battery all need to get good airflow over them to keep them cool.
Motor access is really not hard at all, just pop off one of the plastic cheeks and you have pretty good access. They are glued with that white silicone type glue, I think I hot glued mine back. Yeah, a cowl would be nice, but theres no reason to cut foam here.

Same with the aileron servos, I had one start to get jittery so cut around that servo cover and popped it off. 9gr servo just screwed in place underneath there. I tied a string to the connector and pulled it through, then replaced both with hxt900's. Had to open the bay up just a little wider to fit, and left off the covers cause they didnt fit the hxt's....no biggie at all. People are saying they need to replace the wing over a servo? Thats silly
David Hogue is offline Find More Posts by David Hogue
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 08, 2014, 01:08 AM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,782 Posts
Did you manage to get the motor out and back in again, or fit a new one, David?

I've never tried (don't own one, and haven't yet been asked to fix one) but my impression from looking at other people's was that it wouldn't be easy... like gulio found:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulio View Post
When I got mine someone had torn a hole in the fuse to get the motor out. I didn't like it , but it was easy to make a piece of cheap foam to repair it. The motor mount bolts on mine are very hard to get to , as I had to do it again when a setscrew came loose. My esc is cut into the side of the fuse right beside the battery.
Old Aug 08, 2014, 01:55 AM
Go Dawgs!!!!!!!
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2No View Post
Did you manage to get the motor out and back in again, or fit a new one, David?

I've never tried (don't own one, and haven't yet been asked to fix one) but my impression from looking at other people's was that it wouldn't be easy... like gulio found:
I bent or broke the shaft, the hardest part was positioning the motor while starting the screws, but I have a disabled right arm so thing like that are more difficult for me anyway. The actual screw access is easy, dunno what hes talking about there. I wish the Wot 4 was available here, Id've gotten one a long time ago if so....
David Hogue is offline Find More Posts by David Hogue
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 08, 2014, 04:12 AM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,782 Posts
Good to know, David. Maybe there's been more than one version.

I have changed motors and shafts on a WOT 4, a couple of times. That's easy to do. I don't own one of those either, but I've been asked to repair a series of them, belonging to the same guy.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:53 PM
Tommy Toy the Crazy Boy
United States, AR, Jonesboro
Joined Mar 2013
443 Posts
I'm surprised there isn't more interest in this plane. I find it exceptionally nice to take off, fly, and land. Why do you think it has not gotten more interest? For example, there are over 1,000 pages to the Fun Cub thread or the Beaver thread. I have all 3 and they are different but all terrific planes. What am I missing?

Tom
tmulligan is offline Find More Posts by tmulligan
Old Aug 14, 2014, 04:15 PM
New Zealand, Marlborough, Blenheim
Joined Jun 2012
483 Posts
I wonder that too. Others at my club admire how well it flys. Perhaps because it is so basic and simple to fly that there are no issues for people to comment about. once you get it set up and get used to a tight battery compartment its all good.
otherhalf2 is offline Find More Posts by otherhalf2