HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jan 11, 2011, 05:53 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,588 Posts
They propbaly meant "corrupted byte"... As with the other keycam, make sure it is close to fully charged before doing anything with it.
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAero View Post
What does this mean? What is a bad public atom? I had some short test clips on the SD and thought they were erased, is why the vid is number 8. Its the second part of a test run attempting to see what the thing could do on the brim of my hat (hat cam) the second part works as do the other test clips. the first part that will not work is 1.58 GB (1,705,705,472 bytes

Error -2002: a bad public movie atom was found in the movie (PTDC0008.MOV)

thanks
Tom J
PS: there times when this thing will connect quickly on my PC and other times the my computer just doesn't see it for a few min. Also this is when I first plug it in after using it, the red charge light is on. Perhaps it won't read until it has charged some?
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2011, 06:14 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RADAR_66 View Post
how do you get the web cam option to work i try to follow the instructions but it didn't work
Did you follow the instructions given in the FAQ on post #3? That works for me, although it seems the camera can get confused sometimes when going from normal to web cam and back. Push the rest button, then try the instructions in that FAQ link again.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jan 11, 2011, 06:31 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithLuneau View Post
To get into webcam mode:
  • Turn off the camera, then plug in USB.
  • The red LED will show that it's charging.
  • Hold down the shutter button (one all the way to the front), and while holding it, hold down the power button.
  • The LED will blink then flash a couple times, and you'll hear the tone in Windows when it connects. You can release the buttons when the LED is solid yellow.
  • The yellow LED will stay on. It should now show up as a webcam, and Windows will probably install the drivers for it if this is the first time you've used it on that PC as a webcam.
  • You can use AmCap, or just about any other program meant to use a webcam to view the video stream from it.
There might be a couple clarifications needed? If the battery is fully charged when this is done, the red LED will blink once when plugged into the USB port, then quickly goes out. If YOU blink, you will miss it and may get confused waiting for it to come on. Also, sometimes there is a slight delay after toggling the web cam mode before the camera is recognized by the computer, even after the first time when the drivers are loaded for the first time. There is no pop-up message about drivers being loaded... the camera just isn't recognized immediately, and the video capture program will not see it as being available.

I've run into this several times now going through many iterations of lens focusing.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 06:40 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAero View Post
What does this mean? What is a bad public atom? I had some short test clips on the SD and thought they were erased, is why the vid is number 8. Its the second part of a test run attempting to see what the thing could do on the brim of my hat (hat cam) the second part works as do the other test clips. the first part that will not work is 1.58 GB (1,705,705,472 bytes

Error -2002: a bad public movie atom was found in the movie (PTDC0008.MOV)

thanks
Tom J
When I tested my 20 min. close/save/continue function, the camera files were all 1.04 GB in size, and the clips were exactly 20 minutes long. The time delay between my clips was exactly 3 seconds based on the date/time stamp on the videos. It sounds to me as if the first file may not have been properly closed. Also the big difference in file size is perplexing, unless your camera is producing some of those 10000 kbps clips, which I have not been able to duplicate with my camera. If that is the case , that could explain why your first file size is so much bigger than mine for what should ba a 20 min. clip.

I'm beginning to question if the 20 min. stop/save/continue function really adds safety and reliability to the recordings!
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jan 11, 2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 06:47 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepinside View Post
I get an annoying "cracking" sound on the recording only when I have the car charger plugged in. Did anyone else experience this? I guess its not possible to remove it somehow, is it?

Heres a sample from a 2 hour test vid (filled my Kingston 8GB).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSKek-H0N74
I can hear the exact same sound in that "car driving over the bridge" clip one of the vendors posted for us early on. And in that one, the sputtering noise stops and the radio comes into clear as the car comes to a stop. This leads me to believe that ignition induced noise is getting pick up by the camera, possibly via it's car charger cable. Just a theory... haven't test it.

Also, I got similar static burst at about 1 sec. intervals in my first test clips in some, but not all, of the test clips which I merged and posted earlier. The only explanation I have is that all the clips were taken in and outside the front and back doors of my house. The clips shot inside on the bottom floor and just outside the back door have the static bursts. The one upstairs and outside the front door do not. I have both wireless internet and wireless digital phone router/base units in close proximity to the clips that had the static bursts. Noise pick up from those perhaps? I have no explanation... only hunches.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jan 11, 2011 at 06:54 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 07:13 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,427 Posts
If you set the Bitrate Viewer to frame mode, and zoom in, there's a skipped frame at 8 sec. Looking at deepinside's video, there's quite a few. Maybe they correlate to the sound. Even if not correlated, still interesting!
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Jan 11, 2011, 08:27 PM
United States, DE, Townsend
Joined Jun 2007
186 Posts
Got it
autorail1 is offline Find More Posts by autorail1
Old Jan 11, 2011, 08:40 PM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
There might be a couple clarifications needed? If the battery is fully charged when this is done, the red LED will blink once when plugged into the USB port, then quickly goes out. If YOU blink, you will miss it and may get confused waiting for it to come on. Also, sometimes there is a slight delay after toggling the web cam mode before the camera is recognized by the computer, even after the first time when the drivers are loaded for the first time. There is no pop-up message about drivers being loaded... the camera just isn't recognized immediately, and the video capture program will not see it as being available.

I've run into this several times now going through many iterations of lens focusing.
Added your notes to the post!
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Jan 11, 2011, 08:48 PM
United States, DE, Townsend
Joined Jun 2007
186 Posts
I have not. I will try The Firmware update.

Quote:
Just curious if you have done anything to resolve your bad files with the 20 min. stop/save/continue recording. I'm pretty confident your seller will replace the camera if it is one of the four mentioned back in post #2. If so, I would definitely try the date removal firmware patch first if it were me. They are replacing any cameras that might be bricked by this process, so you'd have nothing to lose other than some time waiting for a replacement. And if your firmware is somehow corrupted, this just might fix it.

FWIW, I have asked my camera contact if they can eliminate the 20 min. stop/save/continue function altogether, and they have confirmed it is possible, just as was done on some of the old 808 cameras. If there is enough interest, I think they would implement this for us. I thought most users would rather not have the 20 min. stop/save/continue recording, as long as the camera will properly close and save a file when the flash card fills up. But perhaps I guessed wrong? I don't want to fill up this thread with many posts that agree with my hunch, so if you violently disagree with me, please post your objection. I'll assume all others who read this and don't reply would like the camera to continuously record without stopping until the memory card is full.
autorail1 is offline Find More Posts by autorail1
Old Jan 11, 2011, 09:51 PM
SUPERB RC CRASH MASTER
Houston, Texas USA
Joined Aug 2004
987 Posts
subscribed!
rc crashburn is offline Find More Posts by rc crashburn
Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:26 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,702 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for those who provided feedback on the close/continue recording function. Valid points. I'm not a .MOV fan to begin with, so never dug into it's file structure. But it seems strange that it does not leave enough room for updating it's header without shifting the entire data space if files get large. Oh well... don't want to get into that any further.

I got feedback from my vendor "camera guy" that they can modify the camera firmware for continuous recording if there is a demand for it. He also made a similar case (having something rather than nothing) against doing it.

Since we already have a pair of firmware patches that toggle the date on/off while keeping the close/continue ON I asked if they can provide a new pair of firmware files that toggle the date on/off while keeping the close/continue function OFF. That way a user can pick his preferred flavor, and toggle back if his taste changes Something for every one!
An update on this... I got some feedback from my "HD camera guy" asking for some clarification before they went ahead with another firmware offereing to allow continuous recording. In the communication (difficult in both directions), it was mentioned about having a "fully charged battery or possibly lose some file".

I had assumed (really bad idea, I know), that when the battery voltage got dangerously low, the camera could sense that, stop recording, and save the file. That may have been a bad assumption! I am doing a test right now with a partly discharged battery to see what happens to a file when the battery gets low. If the file is totally lost lost, I would not want to risk that. And knowing how many of the old 808 cameras had problems with the battery not lasting very long, the 20 min stop/save/continue sequence is not so bad after all.

I know there are one or two people working on an external power source for the camera, and perhaps they would still like to have a continuous recording option? If so, please respond to this post and I'll advise my contact accordingly.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jan 11, 2011 at 11:34 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:31 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,702 Posts
Web Cam mode on an XP computer

Who has done it with the HD key cam? Vendor said no drivers needed, even when I specifically ask him about older XP computers. I tried it today, and as I expected, no driver support! Anyone? ANYONE?
Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:38 PM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,361 Posts
BRB, going try it now... Will edit this post!

Edit - Nope, no go! I tried a few times, and most of the time the computer never even detected it. The lights blink and all just like when using it on Win7, but the computer just didn't see it. A couple times it did show up as a removeable drive as normal. No dice for webcam mode on XP though. (I used XP Pro SP3)
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Last edited by KeithLuneau; Jan 11, 2011 at 11:44 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:39 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,562 Posts
Quote:
Who has done it with the HD key cam? Vendor said no drivers needed, even when I specifically ask him about older XP computers. I tried it today, and as I expected, no driver support! Anyone? ANYONE?
I think I did it at work on XP Pro. I will verify tomorrow at work. I do have the V3 driver on the work PC.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:42 PM
Joined Dec 2010
25 Posts
Quote:
Tom,

It works exactly the same in XP Pro as you described on the previous posts - push and hold shutter button, then power button until yellow LED comes on, then XP chimes that it has detected a new USB device. Bingo. Your suggestion about using Vdub works wonders as well, and I got my cam focused using this exact method. Eureka!

Thanks again, Tom
clx1
clx1 is offline Find More Posts by clx1
Closed Thread