HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 12, 2003, 02:44 PM
United States, NY, Mechanicville
Joined Mar 2003
1,203 Posts
Deans Connector tip... Easy to remove!

I started using a product called OX-GARD on my Dean's connectors. It is an anti-oxidant grease designed for electrical connections. It is conductive, so it will not create more resistance in the conncetion.

It makes it a LOT easier to disconnect...

I bought it at the local electrnics store, but I imagine similar producs could be found at most home improvement stores. It is typically used on older homes when working with aluminum wiring..

(BTW- it is in this forum because a lot of the heli guys use these connectors)
davensocal is offline Find More Posts by davensocal
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2003, 03:04 PM
Rogers, MN. USA
Joined Mar 2003
593 Posts
I imagine it's similar to "Dielectric Tune-Up Grease" (by Permatex) that you can find at Auto Parts stores (and probably Wal-Mart). It's used on cars to keep air and moisture away from spark plug wire connections, and any other electrical connection. Works very well.

I've got a tube, and keep forgetting to put it on my Dean's!

Just have to remember to keep it clean and re-apply often. When you crash as often as I do, dirt gets everywhere which would turn the grease into polishing compound.

I better look at the swash on my Coronas now that I think about it....
MondoMor is offline Find More Posts by MondoMor
Old Jun 12, 2003, 06:06 PM
United States, NY, Mechanicville
Joined Mar 2003
1,203 Posts
Mondo-
Close, but no cigar (no Lewinsky comments please).

What I am using is conductive! I was a little nervous about using the dielectric. I was afraid the small coating on the surface would cause more resistance..

So you'll let us know after you coat yours?

BTW, if you use a conductive compound, don't use a lot of it. Wouldn't want that stuff bridging the batt terminals..
davensocal is offline Find More Posts by davensocal
Old Jun 13, 2003, 01:18 AM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,801 Posts
Nice tip, but not just for us heli guys.

Going to copy to Open, and leave here.

Just a Reminder guys, if it is not heli specific info, it belongs in the correct forum.

FB
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Jun 13, 2003, 06:29 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
As stated somewhere here, all you're doing is making it easier to attract crud that will interfere with the contact of the pins. Mine insert and remove quite easily out of the bag..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jun 13, 2003, 09:47 AM
Seņor Meember
Joined Sep 2001
973 Posts
yea... crud=bad.

BTW, something I've seen a few people do is to rub pencil lead on the Deans connector. It does make it easier to take the connectors apart but I'm not sure what it does to the actual electrical connection. Seems pretty mickeymouse to me. Anyone know?

An idea I had (or got from here I can't remember) was to drill a small hole on the same side of the male and female Deans. The hole would be just deep enough that you don't hit the conductors but can fit a c-clip expander tool to separate the connectors. It would work great for a one handed disconnect. Just a thought.

Mario
Sloper Mario is offline Find More Posts by Sloper Mario
Old Jun 13, 2003, 10:25 AM
Stress Be Gone
Snohomish, WA
Joined May 2000
3,404 Posts
The best solution would be for Dean's to put a ridge at the rear of the connectors, just as they have now done for their smaller connectors
GBR2 is offline Find More Posts by GBR2
Old Jun 13, 2003, 11:30 AM
Joined Apr 2003
20 Posts
I am more interested in my Deans connectors staying together than coming apart :-)
Ridges would be great, but you know they would want to raise their price. They cost more than enough already IMHO.
Sky Tech is offline Find More Posts by Sky Tech
Old Jun 13, 2003, 01:05 PM
jlk
Lifetime Beginner
Chicago & Tucson
Joined Sep 2001
638 Posts
We drill the plastic body of the Deans with a small drill and use snap ring pliers to push apart the stubborn ones.

Jordan
jlk is offline Find More Posts by jlk