HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 24, 2003, 07:59 AM
United States, NY, Dutchess
Joined Jun 2002
652 Posts
Wind gods smile, BantamBipe maidens - CG question

Having shown an amazing amount of restraint and patience, I finally was able to maiden my SR Batteries Bantam Bipe. This was such a great build, that I wanted to make sure that the conditions were perfect for the maiden. This morning, I awoke to no winds and the sun was just starting to rise. Perfect! I quickly got ready and drove down to the local ballfields. Amazing, still no wind. A quick pre-flight, a couple feet roll out and away she went. Awesome! It was worth the wait.

The plane did porpoise a fair amount a full throttle, so I suspect I'll have to take a closer look at the the thrustline and CG. I measured the CG on the upper wing, is that correct?

Sorry, no pics as I forgot to charge my camera's battery, but if the wind gods continue to smile I hope to have some by this evening.
robs is offline Find More Posts by robs
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2003, 08:35 AM
LJH
Moths do not fly inverted
Greenwich CT.
Joined Sep 2000
4,191 Posts
Robs,
I have had that trouble as well.....I have played around with the thrust line and it has not helped. I am a little aft on the CG now that I am useing Kokom's so that may be the cause, I have to get some aluminum tube to redo the control rods and get the servos farther forward.

Cheers,
Jim
LJH is offline Find More Posts by LJH
Old Mar 24, 2003, 08:46 AM
Terre Haute, Indiana
Joined Jan 2003
151 Posts
robs, the cg is measured on the upper wing. My Bipe also porposed at full throttle on the first flight so I now just use part throttle. I remember Larry at sr batteries saying he set it up this way so that at will come down when you cut power instead of having a long glide. It was a pleasure to build and I hope to see the Curtiss Jenny that Larry mentioned a few weeks ago.
Airhog is online now Find More Posts by Airhog
Old Mar 24, 2003, 08:49 AM
United States, NY, Dutchess
Joined Jun 2002
652 Posts
Thanks Jim and Airhog, I remember reading that post where Larry provided that feedback. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't making a newbie mistake in measuring the CG on the wrong wing
robs is offline Find More Posts by robs