USA Grand Opening Sale! USA Grand Opening Sale!
Old Nov 14, 2015, 10:31 AM
Find More Posts by bergfalke4
Germany
Joined Apr 2003
182 Posts
Question
Build box for transportation

Hi!

How do you protect your fragile indoor models when you bring them to the gym/venue where you fly? When it's windy outside I find it very difficult to carry a lightweight model without damaging it. On several occasions I have had control surfaces blow off or damaged hinges, even when I parked my car just outside the doors and tried to be as careful as possible.

I tried to build a wooden box for transportation, but it did not turn out very well. Would love to see pictures and descriptions of how to build something appropriate!

Cheers,
bergfalke4 is offline Find More Posts by bergfalke4
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2015, 06:30 PM
Find More Posts by Vince Caluori
United States, WA, North Bend
Joined Dec 2002
249 Posts
I have had the exact problem as you. So i built a "coffin". It turned out too big to fit in my car so a friend finished it. here are some photos. 1 inch foam board for insulation ,glue and tape.
Vince Caluori is offline Find More Posts by Vince Caluori
Old Nov 15, 2015, 05:15 PM
Find More Posts by Free
"Free" in Christ! #F3P
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jan 2012
1,108 Posts
Here are some photos of my box I checked under a plane when I went to OH. Worked perfectly.

I also made a smaller box of cardboard and foam and that works great for car trips.

Free
Free is online now Find More Posts by Free
Old Nov 15, 2015, 06:09 PM
Find More Posts by pmackenzie
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
19,223 Posts
Making the box is one thing, the other is how you secure and locate the model inside the box.
Try to keep it light, and also make sure there is no way it can come loose.

You don't need much at all to hold the model in place because it is so light.

Even a piece of foam like Free is using can just about destroy a model if it comes loose.
One of our guys found this out the hard way when we went to Poland last spring.
When we opened the box we were too shocked to take a picture. The foam holding the wing on one side had come loose from the box but was still attached to the wing.
The model was folded in half, one wing tip touching the tail . Took two days and a lot of work to get it flyable, but it was never quite right.

Coroplast is pretty good for making a box if all you want to do is get in and out of the place you are flying. Duct tape and hot melt to hold it together.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2015, 06:15 PM
Find More Posts by Free
"Free" in Christ! #F3P
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jan 2012
1,108 Posts
Yes, I see how that would happen.

Some of the foam did come dispatched during transportation, but because my model was a brick, it didn't do any damage.

I will look for better ways of securing my model next time I travel.

Free
Old Nov 16, 2015, 01:17 PM
Germany
Joined Apr 2003
182 Posts
Looks good!

How thick was the plywood you used? Did the box come out very heavy?

,David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free View Post
Here are some photos of my box I checked under a plane when I went to OH. Worked perfectly.

I also made a smaller box of cardboard and foam and that works great for car trips.

Free
Old Nov 16, 2015, 01:23 PM
Germany
Joined Apr 2003
182 Posts
Interesting solution! Especially the idea with duct tape to hold it all together. My problem is that I can't source foam board locally. I once tried to laminate thick paper and thin 20 mm foam sheets to build a box. However, as the glue dried the foam would warp... 20 mm foam sheets are cheap but it ding very easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Caluori View Post
I have had the exact problem as you. So i built a "coffin". It turned out too big to fit in my car so a friend finished it. here are some photos. 1 inch foam board for insulation ,glue and tape.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 02:07 PM
Find More Posts by Free
"Free" in Christ! #F3P
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jan 2012
1,108 Posts
I used duct tape just to keep everything smooth but it wasn't necessary structurally.

Free