New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 17, 2015, 04:47 AM
Find More Posts by Burakko
Joined Aug 2012
119 Posts
Question
Catamaran Sailboats

Hello. I wrote that I was a novice on the water. I wanted to build a boat RG65 JIF. I can not do only "bulbkeel". So I thought to circumvent this problem, build a catamaran. Traditionally, balsa and plywood. I can not find the plans. Many links on the internet but old and not active. Something on this shape.
Burakko is offline Find More Posts by Burakko
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2015, 07:20 AM
Find More Posts by tarmstro
RC Newbie with lots of ideas
Chile, Santiago Metropolitan Region, Stgo
Joined Dec 2012
446 Posts
Hi:

If you are a novice sailor, I would suggest to do a keelboat first. Catamarans are very tricky to handle, the biggest problem being they tip-off, and you will find yourself 90% of the time walking/rowing/swimming to recover it!

What are your restrictions on keelboats? Pond depth? There are keelboats for almost every pond!
tarmstro is online now Find More Posts by tarmstro
Old Jun 17, 2015, 07:27 AM
Joined Aug 2012
119 Posts
I do not know how to cast lead. A small apartment and a small child. As for the sailing I have experience in scale 1:1
Old Jun 17, 2015, 07:44 AM
Find More Posts by thorsail
Chicago , Illinois
Joined Jul 2008
1,016 Posts
Hello
on ebay, under "toys and hobbies" search "rc sailboats"
you will find pre-made keels from many production sailboats sold as parts.
can you use a pre-made keel for you boat ? they have many parts for RG65
type boats there also.
thorsail is offline Find More Posts by thorsail
Old Jun 17, 2015, 07:58 AM
Joined Aug 2012
119 Posts
It is too expensive. Maybe in the US it is cheap but for me too expensive. I build my models - not buy. In the opposite event, i bay a catamaran on eBay. Ready with transmitter. I ask again do you have a plans for catamaran ?
Old Jun 17, 2015, 08:12 AM
Joined Dec 2012
446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burakko View Post
It is too expensive. Maybe in the US it is cheap but for me too expensive. I build my models - not buy. In the opposite event, i bay a catamaran on eBay. Ready with transmitter. I ask again do you have a plans for catamaran ?
Where are you from? I'm sure lots of people can help you here on getting a nice keel+bulb for little money!

Most of us build our own stuff here... But again, some parts its better to get already made instead of making them yourself. Lead is a good example!

If you go for a catamaran, do not say we did not warn you about their difficult handling! Here you have two pointers to some modern wing-sail cats:

http://www.instructables.com/id/rc-m...ing-catamaran/
http://www.instructables.com/id/RC-Wing-Sail-Catamaran/
Old Jun 17, 2015, 08:25 AM
Joined Aug 2012
119 Posts
I know the two links that you sent and I know 100% that do not contain plans. but they contain information content such as: "$300.00 us plus shipping." Someone can answer the question in the subject?
Old Jun 17, 2015, 08:46 AM
Joined Dec 2012
446 Posts
PM Sent.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 09:01 AM
Find More Posts by Dick L.
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,752 Posts
Burakko -

What "kind" of plans do you seek? Some plans are step-by-step with many photos, many pages and you follow each step in the building process. Other plans - like most multihull plans, are just the line drawings - side view, top view and front view. These require you to break the plans apart yourself - and are designed for those who have had building experience - with boats or airplanes. These are the most basic, and do not guide you in "HOW" to build - only that this is what they look like.

Do you have model building experience - or will this be your first one? Please download these construction tips. They are for a 1 meter long boat, and a monohull with lead, but many steps are able to be used regardless of what size you are building.
http://www.theamya.org/boats/us1m/us1mcons.php

If you must build a multihull, I suggest a trimaran, and you don't go smaller than 1 meter in length. You will be able to see it on the water, and it will have room for your electronics inside. The trimaran, as opposed to a catamaran, will be a bit easier to sail, and while they can tip over, they aren't as quick to go over as a catamaran.

Finally, can you tell us where you live, please. It helps for those giving advice - as to sources for lead, electronics, sail material, etc.

After you look over the documents at the link provided, and if you still desire to build a multihull boat, post back here. There are a few of us who probably can help with plans once you are positive which direction you want to go.

- Final question - can you have DXF or DWG format building drawings converted or printed to large paper where you live?

Best regards, Dick L.
Dick L. is online now Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 09:26 AM
Joined Aug 2012
119 Posts
So that:

Dear tarmstro thank you very much for your message.

Sir Dick L. - What to build the boat I am a beginner but I built several aircraft, gliders and hovercraft. The boats have a proven hull IOM class of fiberglass. But I will not have access to the lathe did not perform Keelbulb.
As for the plans that I know what you mean. No difference whether it's 3 throws drawing or printouts elements
Sorry for the english but I'm learning. I understand what you write but I lack the words to comment - sometimes. Thanks for help me...

The hull behind the path antena ->
Old Jun 17, 2015, 11:45 AM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,752 Posts
Where do you live - country ?
Old Jun 17, 2015, 11:55 AM
Joined Aug 2012
119 Posts
Poland - Slask
Old Jun 17, 2015, 12:04 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,752 Posts
http://www.rcsails.com/index.html
- 65M Class (65 cm)
The class homepage is here, new boats can be registered here, selfbuilding plans can be downloaded on this site for free.

- MultiOne Class (1 Meter)
Multihulls with 1m length, unfortunately the class Homepage is not accessible any more.

- Mini40 Class Popular multihull class with boats not exceeding 1220mm in length and a maximum beam of 1220mm.

- 2m Class
Multihull class with boats not exceeding 2 metres in length with a maximum beam of 2 meters and a maximum mast height of 2,8 meters. There are no restrictions on sail area.

Also: http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/...mmi-multi.html

Also: http://members.chello.nl/~t.iwema/Boxtrimaran.html
Old Jun 17, 2015, 12:06 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,752 Posts
Give those above a try.

I'm sure German, French or U.K. monohull sailors could send you information on purchasing a lead bulb for your boat if you wanted to finish that one.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 01:15 PM
Joined Aug 2012
119 Posts
Now I'm going on vacation. I take a lot of balsa. execute frame and floats. At the beginning powered propeller them because I did not have time to make a sail. I will be praised during construction. Thank you guys for your help.

I have lots of place to sail https://www.google.pl/maps/@52.4877264,18.6388876,15z