Find More Posts by brianchristie
Should it be doing that?
Riverside, CA
Joined Mar 2001
300 Posts
Discussion
T-Rex 450 XL - parts still available?

Hi all.
I have had an old T-Rex 450XL sitting in my closet for a few years. Never really flew it since I thought the head speed was a bit intimidating. Just hovered it a few times and put it away.

I was thinking about cleaning it up and trying to fly it...but I was wondering if parts are still available for it.

Thanks a bunch.
brianchristie is offline Find More Posts by brianchristie
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2014, 03:55 PM
Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,834 Posts
Yes, I fly mine still. Only a couple parts of the original are still on it.
The original parts are not as good as newer model parts. So don't go out of your way looking for original parts. Some parts may need others that match up, many parts are a direct swap. I'll post detail on mine tonight.
Roto Rob is online now Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Nov 25, 2014, 04:45 PM
Should it be doing that?
Riverside, CA
Joined Mar 2001
300 Posts
Cool beans! Thanks!
How about new fuselages ? The original on my seemed way to narrow and I had to cut a slot for the servo arm to peek through.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 06:48 PM
Find More Posts by norcalheli
My other addiction!
Marysville, Ca., US
Joined Jan 2007
1,837 Posts
Check out grandrc.com for a pretty good selection of parts all the way back to the 450 X! Reasonable prices and good service.
norcalheli is online now Find More Posts by norcalheli
Old Nov 25, 2014, 08:50 PM
Should it be doing that?
Riverside, CA
Joined Mar 2001
300 Posts
Thanks so much!

Here's what I'm going to put back in it...also see the canopy? It never fit right with the servo arms & ball links.

Going to use my DX9 with it. Anyone have some program files for a TRex? (Oh, it's the "CDE" cersion)
Old Nov 26, 2014, 05:17 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,834 Posts
The canopy was an issue on the CDE. There are several fixes for it. Depends on your servo's, and how you want to do it.
1- you can cut off the upper arm, and use just one linkage.
2- you can mount your servo's on the inside of the frame, to give more clearance.
3- you can turn your servo's so the arm is lower. As in picture below.
4- you can cut a slice through the canopy, and glue a strip of plastic to widen it.
5- a few more alternatives exist.

Second picture is of my 450XL HDE. It has mostly an SE frame, with CopterX tail boom block, AEO main shaft thrust bearing blocks. Sport tail case, and mixer arms. SE v2 swashplate, and tail rotor grips. Pro fins, and boom braces. With an SE? canopy. Micro heli boom mounts for the tail servo. Thunder Tiger skids. SE main shaft. SE gears. Original HDE part is the tail servo linkage. A mix, and match for sure.
Third picture is of when it was mostly HDE, with a few Align aluminum upgrades from the pre SE days .
Old Nov 26, 2014, 01:11 PM
Should it be doing that?
Riverside, CA
Joined Mar 2001
300 Posts
One more question ... I have the Align RCE-BL25G & the 35G.
Can I use the 25 amp version safely if I'm not doing 3D?

The 35 amp one I have the leads for the battery connection cut off at the circuit board.

Thanks again for all of the help!
Old Nov 26, 2014, 07:19 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,834 Posts
I have used a 25 amp on several 450's. It is a bit undersized on 3 cell lipos, but can work. You can lower the amp draw by being reasonable on the gearing, and maximum pitch. Best if you have a flight logger to determine the peak amps. If not, keep a close eye on flight times, and heat buildup.
If you gear for under 2800 rpm, and keep the pitch under about 11 degree's, have good airflow over the esc, limit your flight times to a reasonable amount, and you will have a hard time wrecking a decent quality 25 amp esc. I do know some of the early Align esc's where a bit questionable. I do remember many using the 25 amp on 450's.
The 35 amp esc is a much better choice, as you are not as limited. Its not hard to solder on new wires.
Last edited by Roto Rob; Nov 26, 2014 at 07:25 PM.