New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 22, 2015, 08:36 AM
Find More Posts by baykah
Joined Mar 2007
215 Posts
Hi guys, my TX was working perfectly fine in my boat, and on my quad it is awfull !

I have signal lost very often ... the difference is that on my quad it is tied up quite hard to avoid loosing it.

After removing the shrink warp I noticed that when I push in the middle it reset

After looking closely I noticed the poor manufacture of the PCB ...

I think i'm good to buy a new one ..
baykah is online now Find More Posts by baykah
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2015, 02:49 AM
Find More Posts by Boorgxx
Joined Apr 2015
6 Posts
I would try to bake it in oven.
Place it on aluminium foil.
Bake it for approx 10 minuts on 200 celsius degree in HEAT! (no microwave oven
You win, or you loose.
Google PCB baking...
Thats how you can fix cracked PCBs.
Boorgxx is online now Find More Posts by Boorgxx
Old Apr 28, 2015, 08:31 AM
Find More Posts by baykah
Joined Mar 2007
215 Posts
I googled pcb baking, I tried the heat gun method!

It seems to have worked, it is much better (I only did 1 flight so far)

Thanks !
baykah is online now Find More Posts by baykah
Old Jun 10, 2015, 10:27 PM
Find More Posts by Condor84
United States, FL, Hastings
Joined May 2013
286 Posts
Mine was working great for 2 years and was a super useful tool. I had the V1, and it was MUCH better than timers. Well, recently, I started losing signal, and also noticed my antenna on the receiver had a break in the outer shielding. I use the flexible BODA antennas on both the transmitter and receiver. Well, I replaced the antenna, however it still hasn't solved the issue. I've now noted that any battery with a single cell voltage over 3.4 volts and the unit will transmit just fine, however once it drops below that, the transmitter unit slowly flashes (instead of the normal fast paced flash), I lose signal completely and am not able to get it back. It's a real bummer and I wish there was a simple fix, but after opening it up and inspecting the PC board, there's no obvious component failures. So I fear it may be time to buy a new transmitter unit. However, they're not cheap and somewhat hard to come by. Did I mention, I hate timers? My flying style is so varied, a timer is pretty useless at times but I guess still better than nothing.

Mainly I loved the unit because especially on older batteries, I could see when certain cells in the packs would stop performing to spec, so I knew not to risk my models to them.

I may have to try the oven method though; I've got nothing to lose, right?
Condor84 is offline Find More Posts by Condor84
Last edited by Condor84; Jun 10, 2015 at 10:32 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 12:23 AM
Joined May 2013
286 Posts
Well, that didn't work AT ALL, and now the unit won't even transmit or turn on, even with a fresh battery. Guess it's back to timers for me for awhile, and the uncertainty they bring. Nuts.
Last edited by Condor84; Jun 11, 2015 at 12:37 AM.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 12:47 AM
Find More Posts by jj604
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
7,917 Posts
Look on the bright side. It is no longer intermittently faulty. It's now reliably dead.

Seriously - it is better to have something you know has to be replaced than an item that may mislead you at any time, particularly for something as important as flight pack voltage.

HobbyKing still have all the Quanum telemetry components in stock but as you say the transmitter units are not cheap.

If the range is adequate and you don't need to see the actual cell voltages, the Quanum vibrating unit is very neat and low cost. It will simply vibrate when any cell reaches the set alarm value. I find it very convenient, light and simple to use and now prefer it for simple pack monitoring to the original version.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condor84 View Post
Well, that didn't work AT ALL, and now the unit won't even transmit or turn on, even with a fresh battery.
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Jun 11, 2015, 04:23 AM
Find More Posts by Gilanno
Joined Jun 2015
2 Posts
I wanted to step through a quality build that is easy on the budget,bodysuit easy to build, and easy to fly
Gilanno is offline Find More Posts by Gilanno
Last edited by Gilanno; Jun 15, 2015 at 09:36 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 10:25 AM
Joined May 2013
286 Posts
You're absolutely right. I went to bed and slept on it, and I now totally agree with you and feel slightly better. Also, I did see the vibrating battery alarm. It looks pretty neat, and I may give it a try. But if I'm going to spend the money, I also may just go the Hitec receiver route (I already own an Aurora 9, and their 7 and 9 have the options for full telemetry, and their 6 channel has battery voltage but no full telemetry), but have been using Tactic receivers exclusively the last 3 years due to cost and reliability, so that may be a bit huge of a jump. I also noticed FrSky makes a nice do it yourself add on internal module, and their receivers and telemetry components are a lot less expensive than Hitec, but I'm not so sure about reliability until I do some more research. The one thing all these systems lack though is individual cell voltages, and that really was my bread and butter for monitoring my pack health, especially under load.

So yeah, at least no more worries about a faulty unit. If one thing's certain to work as it should, it's my timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
Look on the bright side. It is no longer intermittently faulty. It's now reliably dead.

Seriously - it is better to have something you know has to be replaced than an item that may mislead you at any time, particularly for something as important as flight pack voltage.

HobbyKing still have all the Quanum telemetry components in stock but as you say the transmitter units are not cheap.

If the range is adequate and you don't need to see the actual cell voltages, the Quanum vibrating unit is very neat and low cost. It will simply vibrate when any cell reaches the set alarm value. I find it very convenient, light and simple to use and now prefer it for simple pack monitoring to the original version.

John
Old Jun 11, 2015, 03:20 PM
Find More Posts by flarssen
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condor84 View Post
I also noticed FrSky makes a nice do it yourself add on internal module, and their receivers and telemetry components are a lot less expensive than Hitec, but I'm not so sure about reliability until I do some more research. The one thing all these systems lack though is individual cell voltages, and that really was my bread and butter for monitoring my pack health, especially under load.
FrSky released cell voltage sensors years ago. Here is the latest version:
http://www.alofthobbies.com/frsky-sp-flvs.html

Fred
flarssen is online now Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Jun 11, 2015, 06:06 PM
Find More Posts by jj604
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
7,917 Posts
Take Fred's hint. If you don't want to lock into Hitec prices for the telemetry sensors, the FrSky system is the way to go IMO. The DFT module unit will drop straight into your Aurora9.

Prices are low, the radio link is rock solid and reliable with a stellar reputation, they have a wide range of telemetry sensors and you can get the Taranis transmitter which is miles ahead of anything in terms of functionality and power in its price range (pretty much any price really). You will not get telemetry display on the Aurora screen however. The DFT unit can take an external small display panel, the FLD-02, to show you telemetry. In practice on my DX8 I found it works extremely well.

However if you start using FrSky with the Aurora you may find you want to move up to the Taranis with its built in display and ability to use the new range of X receivers in addition to the DFT compatible D range. The telemetry is fully integrated. The first time you have the transmitter tell you in a nice voice that a "Cell voltage is low" without having to look at the screen you will be hooked.

As soon as I got mine the Quanum was history.

John
Old Jun 12, 2015, 03:06 AM
Find More Posts by jaccies
The Netherlands, LI, Venray
Joined Dec 2008
1,457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post

As soon as I got mine the Quanum was history.

John
for you it will be history then , not for me
the consumend capacity ( or remaining capacity ) indication
is a great feature i use every flight
jaccies is offline Find More Posts by jaccies
Old Jun 12, 2015, 03:36 AM
Find More Posts by jj604
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
7,917 Posts
Totally agree. The new low cost vibrating system does not have a current sensor and I use it just as a low cell warning. I was referring to the FrSky telemetry as supplanting the older Quanum unit.

One of the nicer features of the FrSky system for smaller models is that their 40Amp Pack voltage/Current sensor is a neat compact little package. In the XPort version it just daisy chains with the 6 cell LiPo voltage sensor to make a complete package equivalent to the Quanum with current sensor but displays everything including capacity used on the Taranis screen. Has spoken alarms for anything you want as well. Very neat.

But not as neat as my my German Unisens-E telemetry sensor for FrSky X series receivers. It plugs into the SPort connector and displays the following data:

Height
Vario (can choose Climb, Dive or both)
Current
Pack voltage
Battery capacity (can choose cumulative)
rpm

The white wire (which can be removed) is the rpm sensor , and the single orange wire allows switching between Live, Max and Min values on any parameter if you plug it into a spare channel.
It connects to a PC to update firmware, change any settings or it can be used as a bench unit with live data display

The whole thing does 100A (140 burst) and weighs 10g!
They also have a 280Amp unit with bullet connectors that is the same size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaccies View Post
the consumend capacity ( or remaining capacity ) indication
is a great feature i use every flight
Old Jun 24, 2015, 02:19 AM
Find More Posts by crutav
Joined Nov 2009
2 Posts
hello from vienna
1 year ago i bought the quanum 2,4 telemetry System with a second Transmitter and the amp add on. it really done fine but 2 days ago i want to start it , but i cannot read any voltages from the Display.... it Shows : 0,00 v
so i binds but i cannot read datas. i rebind it but the Receiver still Shows 0,00. when i disconnect it , it Shows no Signal. when i connect it - i seems ok , but.... 0,00 v
i tried it with both Transmitters and differnt accus.
so it is too expensive to throw it away after one year and too expensive to rebuy a new one.
please help
crutav is online now Find More Posts by crutav