Vita ex Machinis
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
13,027 Posts
Discussion
Disposable F/G Molds?

Has anyone tried one-time use molds, perhaps like this process:

1. CNC mill a cavity in a block of rigid foam;

2. Coat the inside with something sandable... maybe plaster, sanded smooth on the "inside" before laying 'glass, or a layer of gelcoat to sand after pulling the hull;

3. Lay the 'glass inside this;

4. Carve and/or dissolve away the foam;

5. Finish sand the hull.

I'm thinking the sanding could be easier here than what's needed if you lay mat glass over a male foam plug...
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2015, 07:57 AM
Find More Posts by CaptCB
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2011
2,468 Posts
I have known guy's that have made a quick, lightweight, fiberglass mold, just good enough, to make 1-3 parts. But that is still using, the conventional methods.
CaptCB is offline Find More Posts by CaptCB
Old Apr 13, 2015, 08:25 AM
Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
28,277 Posts
I could never sand inside a mold very well. Gorilla hands...

But I have made a wooden plug, vacuumed plastic over it, and then laid up inside the plastic.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 13, 2015, 08:29 AM
Find More Posts by der kapitan
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,859 Posts
Can't help you very much here Pat, as I learned to do fiberglass the old-fashioned way from Glenn Staubitz.

That involved making a reusable mold over a cleanly finished master.

You never know if you'll use it for more than just a few copies anyway---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Apr 13, 2015, 08:32 AM
Find More Posts by tghsmith
Raleigh NC
Joined Jul 2008
1,978 Posts
working in reverse is never easy, you don't really know for sure if things are correct until things are removed from the mold.. some of the surfboard glass out now is crazy supple.. I've got some stuff that will just drop into a complex mold.. with careful work it would work just as great on foam plug, not much post glassing sanding and filling needed..
tghsmith is offline Find More Posts by tghsmith
Old Apr 13, 2015, 08:38 AM
Find More Posts by patmat2350
Vita ex Machinis
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
13,027 Posts
Sanding inside: Yep, sounds debatable.

I'd lean towards gelcoating the CNC'd cavity, and sanding after pulling the part- gelcoat sands so easily!

Another variation: If you have rough glass on a plug (or even a glassed-over wood hull), can you apply external coats of gelcoat, and sand that instead of sanding glass?
Old Apr 13, 2015, 08:51 AM
Raleigh NC
Joined Jul 2008
1,978 Posts
top-coating with gel-coat is done all the time in 1/1 scale boat repairs, plus you can always wet-sand (no dust no fuss) most of the motorcycle glasswork I do is never dry sanded.. faster and cleaner..
Old Apr 13, 2015, 08:57 AM
Vita ex Machinis
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
13,027 Posts
Cool.
The advantage of working inside a cavity is that the part's outer skin will be close to correct size.

Of course, it will only be as true as what my ball end mill produces... good for most surfaces, not so good for crisp crease lines and small details... even a 1/4" ball will leave a 1/8" radius on everything.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 10:22 AM
Raleigh NC
Joined Jul 2008
1,978 Posts
Preval spray kits (fillable/disposable spray bottle) can be used to spray gel coat with good results so you don't have to worry about using the stuff in a good but hard to clean out spray gun..
Old Apr 13, 2015, 10:40 AM
Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,787 Posts
The exact opposite is done, quite often.
Foam is CNC'd to the shape of the hull, then fiberglassed, and then the foam carved or melted out.
I have also seen the hulls CNC'd in two inch sections from bow to stern.
The sections then assembled, and the assembled hull fiberglassed for a one off hull.
If hull accuracy is that much of an issue, the CNC can be programmed to carve at a
negative offset to undersize the foam blank.

The blank could then still be used to create a quick negative mold as Charlie points out.

Umi_Ryuzuki is online now Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Apr 13, 2015, 10:52 AM
Vita ex Machinis
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
13,027 Posts
But but... the SANDING! I'm still thinking that the gelcoat layer applied first in a cavity mold would be easier to finish...
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:17 AM
Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,289 Posts
Since you have both access and the ability to use a CNC, I would mill it into Corian and lay up directly into the resulting mold. It is possible to polish the Corian so that you get an excellent surface and the finish of your part will only be as good as that of the mold. The glider builders often create a finished painted surface on the part by painting in the mold before doing the lay up. This is a whole subject in itself.

You can often purchase Corian sink cut outs at counter top fabricators very inexpensively or you can make your own DIY Corian for molds that would be larger than the sink cut outs. See http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2165394

If you can mill a plug rather than a mold, then using UltraCal 30 (a cement plaster - much harder than Plaster of Paris and it does not shrink as it cures) either in commercial form from a ceramics shop or a DIY substitute http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2254757 makes very quick and cheap molds. These are good for up to 10 pulls if treated kindly.

I have poured UltraCal over a foam plug that was surfaced with wall board joint compound and then sanded and sealed, but unless your mold was very simple - as in few curves - it will be difficult to keep the original lines without sanding hollows.
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:26 AM
Find More Posts by keith S
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,872 Posts
The biggest issue I see with the CNC process that Pat is proposing is that you limit the head movement milling out the inside to get the out hull shape. most of the cnc hulls I have seen need the multi spinning head to rotate around the outer (or male) plug to get the surface smooth and correct. I think if it was a good process, you would see more manufacturing if fiberglass that way. I think also the cost would stop most from wanting to even experiment with that unless they can sell multiples to make up the cost of doing one in such a way. Just saying.
keith S is offline Find More Posts by keith S
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:44 AM
Find More Posts by CaptCB
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2011
2,468 Posts
Pat,

EASY, is just giving the master to your fiberglass guy, and telling him to call you when he has the first hull pulled!!
CaptCB is offline Find More Posts by CaptCB
Old Apr 13, 2015, 12:51 PM
Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,787 Posts
The mold could be CNC'd in two halves.
The keys could be cut directly into the halves and be ready to assemble off the table.
That would solve the narrow aspects of machining space.
And you could go right to sealing and finish.

Umi_Ryuzuki is online now Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki