Old Feb 27, 2015, 09:55 AM
Find More Posts by cdee
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
2,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
Thanks Cdee. I'll try it. Also thinking of going with rudder pushrod rather than pull/pull.

Gord.
There have been others that switched the Pull-Pull over to a Pushrod and it has worked just fine. I have both the Sbach and Extra with the Pull-Pull system, neither have had any problems.
cdee
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2015, 01:43 PM
Find More Posts by rhodesengr
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Jan 2012
1,040 Posts
short flight time

So I just maidened mine yesterday. All stock with the Crack power kit. So the 100 gram motor, 12x6 prop, and 2200 mAh Turnigy battery. Flight times seem really short. I tried for 5 minutes and didn't make it. Even at 4 minutes the cells end up too low. At 3:30 seems about all I can get and end up with the cells around 3.7.

Is this normal?

More speed: I know this plane is designed for hard core 3D but I am more of sport flier. The stock setup seemed a little slow. I see the motor is rated up to 6S. Searching back, I see some references to 4S but no prop data. Anyone know what a good prop would be at 4S? I am thinking about trying an 11x7 at 3S.

While I am posting, my one gripe is with the included servos. Very disappointed. I tested them all before mounting. After mounting one of the aileron servos was completely shot and the rudder one moves in discrete steps. I know most of these servo are just rebranded Chinese parts. The problem is that I did a really good job gluing them in so it was impossible to get the aileron one out without some collateral damage. I think my next foam plane, I'll go to the trouble of making plywood servo mounts instead of gluing them in.

Oh, and the rudder control strings seem to get loose pretty easy.
rhodesengr is online now Find More Posts by rhodesengr
Old Mar 08, 2015, 02:38 PM
Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
14,001 Posts
I'm running Hextronic HXT 900s all the way around with more than enough power and very tough servos.
A BP A2820-6 Cheetah motor and 11-5.5 APC prop. I will go out of my hand vertically at about half throttle. I'm more into the 3D stuff so don't use a lot of throttle and get the full 5 mins. If I were to go for more speed I'd go to about a 10-7 or 8. But there again, depends on what motor you have. Higher KV motor will also give you more speed. The one I'm using is a 1000 KV motor.
Also, on the maiden, I piled the nose into a snowbank and broke the ply motor mount off. . They don't like to stop with skis on them. Glued it back on but found, when goosing the throttle, the foam nose twists quite a bit , just form the torque. I'm about to add foam wedges at all four corners of the nose and tapered back on the fuse., to stiffen/ strengthen the nose a bit. Flies great otherwise.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Last edited by flypaper 2; Mar 08, 2015 at 02:50 PM.
Old Mar 09, 2015, 09:57 AM
Find More Posts by cdee
Team Twisted!
Joined Jun 2011
2,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesengr View Post
So I just maidened mine yesterday. All stock with the Crack power kit. So the 100 gram motor, 12x6 prop, and 2200 mAh Turnigy battery. Flight times seem really short. I tried for 5 minutes and didn't make it. Even at 4 minutes the cells end up too low. At 3:30 seems about all I can get and end up with the cells around 3.7.

Is this normal?
Rhodesengr... I fly mine with a 100g Crack motor, 12x3.8 SF prop and 1300mAh 3s/70c thunderpower battery... it has been a while since I had it out, but if I remember correctly I was getting 3-1/2 minutes.
Rudder cables/thread will loosen up some with temp changes and a little initially, but settle out and stay taunt quickly.
cdee
Old Mar 28, 2015, 07:41 AM
Find More Posts by Dan the man
Sydney Kingsford, Australia
Joined Feb 2004
257 Posts
Hey Guys,

I'm shopping around for a foamy practice plane for my Balsa aircraft. The SBach 1.2m plane has been on my radar for a little while and has come back into focus. I have a few questions,

1) How does she handle the wind?
2) What does it fly like in comparision to Balsa?
3) How much abuse can she take?

Many thanks guys.

Danny
Dan the man is offline Find More Posts by Dan the man
Old Apr 13, 2015, 01:06 PM
Find More Posts by fastlif
Joined Sep 2009
34 Posts
this airplanes handles wind really well. it is light, but does a real good job in it. I really enjoy this plane more than much more expensive planes that are very good. I think the trick it with a 4S setup, 2200mah. Use an APC 11x7 E prop. I have beat on mine in the air with no issue. I luckily have not smacked the ground with it yet, but seems it would hold up very good if that happened. The landing gear is the only gripe. 2 piece tinker toy. I have a one piece ready to go in, just have not messed with it.
It is expensive, but mine is very fun, and works very good, crazy power. I love flying it.
fastlif is offline Find More Posts by fastlif
Old Apr 13, 2015, 02:21 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
14,001 Posts
I'll back up everything Fastlif says. On the landing gear, I made one out of piano wire on the assembly. The reason is I had one plane with carbon gear and doing a good sideslip landing, when it touched down, snapped the carbon off right at the bottom.
I also have the Visionaire, which is about the same size and the Sbach walks all over it, performance wise.

Gord.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 10:02 AM
Find More Posts by cdee
Team Twisted!
Joined Jun 2011
2,059 Posts
If you are looking to experiment around a little and open up the flight envelope a little more with the 48" models (or any of the 39" or plus airframes), give this gyro a try that Twisted Hobbys carries now. I put one on my 48" Extra 300 last fall and had a blast with it.... Very tune-able to the degree you want, and can actually be switch off as well. Nice thing about this Gyro is that all the adjustments are done with the onboard trim pots and it allows for independent Aileron servos.
cdee
Old Apr 14, 2015, 10:38 AM
Find More Posts by rhodesengr
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Jan 2012
1,040 Posts
To follow up, I am now easily getting 6 minute flights. I changed over to a 2650 3S A-spec battery and propped down to 11x7. I have had numerous positive comments about my 48" Extra at my club.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdee View Post
I like the comment about how the gyro can damage servos. You just need to use good servos like an HS 5065MG. Those of us flying helicopters tend to use high end servos and you don't hear about the FBL controllers (3-aix gyros) eating the servos. Its no secret I had bad luck with the TH servos that came in my power pack. Mine didn't survive mounting.

If it were me putting my name on a servo, I choose a high quality one.

I don't have a gyro on my Extra but I have ET Guardians on two of my jets. The Guardian's "2D" is effectively a rescue mode. Whatever orientation the plan is in, the G will return it to upright level flight if you momentarily engage 2D. The G is not that much more expensive that the one mentioned here.
rhodesengr is online now Find More Posts by rhodesengr
Old Apr 14, 2015, 11:34 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
14,001 Posts
I just put a Lemon gyro in mine the other day when it was windy and you'd swear it was a calm day. It was only operating one aileron but you wouldn't know it. Can be shut off with the trans switch but didn't try it. Great combination.

Gord.