Old Nov 09, 2015, 07:03 PM
Find More Posts by red342
United States, NY, Halfmoon
Joined Oct 2015
102 Posts
Mini-HowTo
LED Nav Lights Install Tutorial for ParkZone Sport Cub BNF

Hey all:

So I have been flying my Horizon Hobby ParkZone Sport Cub BNF with AS3X Technology for the last two weeks since I got her, and she sure is fun! I am into options and customization, so naturally I installed the optional flaps before the first flight. Now I needed something else to do, I certainly do not want to rake the leaves, so I decided to install some NAV lights on the Sport Cub S2.

Now please keep in mind, these are in no means located where they may be on the real deal, nor was I attempting to keep any scale. I simply wanted some lights and that's about it.

I always look to see what others have done for guidance and it has always helped along the way, so I figured I should document my light mod and share to return the favor, so here it goes.

The pics below will have the step by step directions. I will ignore the basics, I think it is fair to say that if you tackling installing these lights, you can handle removing the wings on your own. Anything I do not cover is in the Sport Cub manual supplied with your craft, or with the LEDs.

The NAV light kit is the GT Power Aircraft Lighting System located here

This tutorial should work with any other lights you choose. I don't see why it wouldn't.

Just be sure to measure twice and pay attention to your angles when tunneling or cutting. You definitely do not want to make unnecessary holes and weaken the airframe. Also I am a pretty skilled modeler and have a knack for things like this, if you don't, just take your time and it will come out great.

Also please feel free to ask questions, and definitely feel free to comment, this is my first written tutorial so feedback is welcome! Unless your just an lol
red342 is offline Find More Posts by red342
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2015, 07:05 PM
Joined Oct 2015
102 Posts
Oh man!!! ALL my photos and text are gone !!! Stand by ill get it back up
Old Nov 09, 2015, 07:19 PM
Joined Oct 2015
102 Posts
Here are the pics. Something happened to the text that accompanied the pics for a seamless step by step. It was way to much to type again, and I can not seem to add it anyways. I think you can probably follow with out the text. The only notes are that the wire leads need to be extended or un wound to make them longer. They are 24" and I was able to add 3" by unwinding. That was just enough. They also got out of order somehow so it jumps. Like the tools was supposed to be the first slide, it is in the middle somewhere. Lastly the tape to create the lenses. I cut a smaller piece and stuck it to the larger piece adhesive to adhesive. This way, if you crash or push in on the lens it will not stick to the LED. The cuts were 1/4 for each LED "bird mouth" on the wingtips. The landing light was 1/2 wide by about 1/4 inch deep. The tape for the lens was cut at 1/2inch by 1 inch for the landing light. That was stuck to the larger piece of 1 inch by 1 1/2 inch with a border to stick to the foam. The wing tip was 1 by 1 inch stuck to 1 1/2 by 1 1/2 again with a border to stick to the foam. That's the gist. I apologize, I don't know what happened to the text. Perhaps a problem when it loaded the pics. If you have a question please ask, I am embarrassed this was my first tutorial and this happened.
Last edited by red342; Nov 09, 2015 at 07:28 PM.
Old Nov 09, 2015, 08:05 PM
Find More Posts by Hugo Flynow
Fond of Foam
United States, MD, Ridge
Joined Oct 2015
3,657 Posts
Nice job! here's mine...looks like I put my lights in the same places as yours!
Hugo Flynow is offline Find More Posts by Hugo Flynow
Old Nov 10, 2015, 09:55 AM
Joined Oct 2015
102 Posts
Hugo:

Looks great! Yea that seemed like the best location to put them all. I guess I was on the money with what others would have done.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 12:08 PM
Fond of Foam
United States, MD, Ridge
Joined Oct 2015
3,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by red342 View Post
Hugo:

Looks great! Yea that seemed like the best location to put them all. I guess I was on the money with what others would have done.
Yes we did headlights nearly the same exact way....except I took some reflective foil and put it around the bulb in the notch before covering it with self adhesive clear laminate. The foil really makes the light more reflective and intense.

I put the red flasher in the exact same belly spot as you did...and put the taillight on a small post made out of a straw on the top of the fuse in the same spot as on the Flyzone Beaver. My red and green bulbs are just tacked on the wing and stick out...I like how you did yours a bit better.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 12:09 PM
Fond of Foam
United States, MD, Ridge
Joined Oct 2015
3,657 Posts
here's a few detail pics...note the foil on the headlight.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 03:24 PM
Joined Oct 2015
102 Posts
Oh man the foil is fantastic! I wish I thought of that. You know if I try to take the lens off now the paint will come right with it lol.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 08:11 PM
Fond of Foam
United States, MD, Ridge
Joined Oct 2015
3,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by red342 View Post
Oh man the foil is fantastic! I wish I thought of that. You know if I try to take the lens off now the paint will come right with it lol.
That's what RED SHARPIES ARE FOR!!!! .....Or you can just cut the window part out and lay a full size piece of tape back over it...so you are never peeling tape off the red part of the wing
Old Nov 11, 2015, 11:43 AM
Find More Posts by shonmac
United States, NJ, Dunellen
Joined Aug 2014
1,853 Posts
I have a rough installation of LED lights on mine. I will buy a new kit before I really get a good installation like yours. Will use your technique when the time comes.
shonmac is offline Find More Posts by shonmac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Upgrading
Old Nov 11, 2015, 05:03 PM
Joined Oct 2015
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo Flynow View Post
That's what RED SHARPIES ARE FOR!!!! .....Or you can just cut the window part out and lay a full size piece of tape back over it...so you are never peeling tape off the red part of the wing
That's EXACTLY what I thought of like 1 minute after I responded to you before lol
Old Nov 11, 2015, 05:52 PM
Fond of Foam
United States, MD, Ridge
Joined Oct 2015
3,657 Posts
HEY RED....BTW: that EXACT lighting system is $7.60 on Amazon. No slam on MotionRC, I buy from them, but I just got 2 more lighting sytems a few days ago off Amazon. Yeah it came directly from China, but shippingwas FREE and each set was ...again...$7.60 each! The light sets only took 2 weeks to get, and they are the exact same ones that you got. I don't get everything from Amazon, but they are THE place to go for my Fly SKy RX, servo cables, Tenergy chargers, lighting, and some other things. I bought some things from Amazon that were shipped from IE: Horizon Hobby that were cheaper than if I ordered from HH themselves!

IE: I needed servo extension cords and Tower Hobby wanted 5 bucks for one. For 5 bucks I got a 10 pack at Amazon and shipping was free!

The only thing Amazon is lame to buy from is the planes themselves, and specific replacement parts for the planes. Even lipos are a deal at Amazon, but never buy Venom lipos, they are very sketchy.

Also, I had to extend the wires to reach the wing tips, but didn't think to unwind them...that was genius. I just spliced extra wire on from old light kit extras...(since they are so cheaap.. )

BTW:shonmac...nice job on the lights!
Old Nov 11, 2015, 09:24 PM
Find More Posts by shonmac
United States, NJ, Dunellen
Joined Aug 2014
1,853 Posts
Thanks Hugo!

Here is my short video of the LED's in action
LED lighting (0 min 59 sec)
shonmac is offline Find More Posts by shonmac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Upgrading
Old Nov 12, 2015, 05:39 PM
Fond of Foam
United States, MD, Ridge
Joined Oct 2015
3,657 Posts
I just looked over my Amazon order, and the lights were $6.80 a set w/ free shipping! And I mean the EXACT same set as yours. You'll see multiple sellers with the same light sets, just find the cheapest. My seller was "Enjoydeal Online Store" and they are a good seller.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 06:54 PM
Joined Oct 2015
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo Flynow View Post
HEY RED....BTW: that EXACT lighting system is $7.60 on Amazon. No slam on MotionRC, I buy from them, but I just got 2 more lighting sytems a few days ago off Amazon. Yeah it came directly from China, but shippingwas FREE and each set was ...again...$7.60 each! The light sets only took 2 weeks to get, and they are the exact same ones that you got. I don't get everything from Amazon, but they are THE place to go for my Fly SKy RX, servo cables, Tenergy chargers, lighting, and some other things. I bought some things from Amazon that were shipped from IE: Horizon Hobby that were cheaper than if I ordered from HH themselves!

IE: I needed servo extension cords and Tower Hobby wanted 5 bucks for one. For 5 bucks I got a 10 pack at Amazon and shipping was free!

The only thing Amazon is lame to buy from is the planes themselves, and specific replacement parts for the planes. Even lipos are a deal at Amazon, but never buy Venom lipos, they are very sketchy.

Also, I had to extend the wires to reach the wing tips, but didn't think to unwind them...that was genius. I just spliced extra wire on from old light kit extras...(since they are so cheaap.. )

BTW:shonmac...nice job on the lights!
Yea I use amazon when I can. I have prime so I get quick delivery. I got them from Motion while ordering some other stuff. I was going to extend the wires by splicing and I thought, "what a pain in the butt, how else can I do this" and it hit me.