This thread is privately moderated by tr miller, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 09:20 PM
Find More Posts by Salin
Heath
Appleton, Wisconsin
Joined Aug 2002
221 Posts
Its hard to fly with no elevator! On the plus side it sure is easy to find when its lawn darted.
Salin is online now Find More Posts by Salin
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2015, 08:54 PM
Find More Posts by timflight1
Greenville WI
Joined Jul 2007
736 Posts
Here are totals after tonight's combat league. Turned out to be a great night for flying.

NOTE: Next week will also be .46-size. We are switching up the schedule just a bit and will finish the year with gnat .15 size. This allows Mickey to participate again.

Let me know if there are any errors in the scores tonight as I didn't use my normal worksheet. Also I wasn't sure if Steve had any points during the final round or if it was a quick flight into the grass due to elevator issues.

Thanks,
Tim
timflight1 is offline Find More Posts by timflight1
Old Jul 21, 2015, 10:43 PM
Find More Posts by skiser87
Joined Nov 2012
14 Posts
Did anyone happen to pick up a black Plano model 1404 plastic carrying case, my radio box Tues night at combat? I can't find it? It's for my Spektrum with charger and an AnyLink in the case. thanks, steve kiser
skiser87 is offline Find More Posts by skiser87
Old Jul 21, 2015, 11:19 PM
Find More Posts by Salin
Heath
Appleton, Wisconsin
Joined Aug 2002
221 Posts
Yes, I put it in the clubhouse.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 09:31 PM
Greenville WI
Joined Jul 2007
736 Posts
Beautiful night for combat. Only a few of us flying but a number of spectators. No crashes during combat but a number of ribbons cut. (afterwards is another story) Next week will be gnat .15 size or smaller combat.
Old Aug 04, 2015, 08:38 AM
Greenville WI
Joined Jul 2007
736 Posts
Electric (Gnat) combat tonight!
Old Aug 04, 2015, 09:14 PM
Greenville WI
Joined Jul 2007
736 Posts
Another round of combat league is in the books. The .15 sized models flew well in the wind tonight and in my opinion have proven to be a pretty decent design - especially with the modification to double up the wing's leading edge.

PS: We need another dozen rolls of streamers to make it to the end of the season. If anyone happens to find them please pick them up but post here if you do so we don't duplicate the purchase.

Thanks,
Tim
Last edited by timflight1; Aug 04, 2015 at 09:19 PM.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 09:22 PM
Greenville WI
Joined Jul 2007
736 Posts
Okay another combat week is in the books. We never did make it to the 4th round due to darkness. Mickey managed to land his combat plane in a tree without any damage to the plane except a broken prop. TR violated WOT's airspace. Many people tried out FPV (thanks Travis) and then most everyone converted over to LED night flying. Nice to see Hunter at the field tonight!

Tim
Old Aug 18, 2015, 09:10 PM
Greenville WI
Joined Jul 2007
736 Posts
Here are the totals for week 8 Gnats.

We have reached a milestone moment. After some discussion tonight, a number of people have expressed interest in shortening the season a bit due to loss of daylight and limited flying time left in the 2015 flying season. As such, we will take a week off to fly other models next week. The following week will be the final Gnats round for the year and the week after that will be the final .46 sized combat round and this will conclude our season.

There has been some discussion to keep the .15 sized slow survivable Gnat models and to drop the .46 sized models next year. I think we proved tonight in fairly strong winds that the .15 sized model is up to the task. There has also been discussion on bumping up to a wider wing .15 sized model as well as the consideration to a .25 sized model. The thought here is that it is just as fun but a lot less costly and much easier to build to perhaps increase participation and shorten the amount of time needed between each week for maintenance by adopting the simple model designs.

Not sure where the discussion will end up but if anyone out there has thoughts or concerns, please comment.

Thanks,
TIm
Old Sep 01, 2015, 04:46 PM
Greenville WI
Joined Jul 2007
736 Posts
Final GNAT night of combat tonight. Night flying afterwards!
Old Sep 02, 2015, 08:34 PM
Greenville WI
Joined Jul 2007
736 Posts
GNAT Totals for 2015. Congratulations to all the participants.

If we consider all weeks, then the YTD total place-winners are:
1st - TR
2nd - Heath
3rd - Tim

However, if we keep only the top 5 scores for each participant, the order changes slightly and would be:
1st - Heath
2nd - TR
3rd - Tim

All details are included in the attached files!

Next week is final .46-size combat night. This may be the final .46-size combat event as there is a consideration to going to the slow survivable models for next season.

Thanks,
Tim
Old Sep 08, 2015, 08:45 PM
Greenville WI
Joined Jul 2007
736 Posts
.46-sized combat totals for 2015. Congratulations to all the participants.

If we consider all weeks or simply top 5, the YTD and top 5 results are the same. The top 3 are as follows:
1st - Heath
2nd - Tim
3rd - TR

All details are included in the attached files!

This concludes the 2015 combat season. We will resume combat league next spring. After the next club meeting a discussion will be held to determine whether to continue with .46-size or simply convert to gnat .15 size or equivalent. The gnats are easier to build, less expensive overall and slow survivable AMA legal combat models. The .46-size are fast, loud and can fly great in any weather. The thought is to settle on a model so everyone doesn't have to maintain multiple models. If a decision can be made soon, then we can use the upcoming show and auctions to start a migration towards the new standard.

Thanks,
Tim
Last edited by timflight1; Sep 10, 2015 at 07:36 PM.
Old Sep 08, 2015, 09:22 PM
Find More Posts by Salin
Heath
Appleton, Wisconsin
Joined Aug 2002
221 Posts
Thanks for keeping score Tim.
For those who are interested here are the specifics of the electric powered setup I have been using for most of this season. With the right aircraft this setup is a good match speed wise to .46 glow powered Saturday Night Special.

Motor: Turnigy D3542/4 1450KV Brushless Outrunner
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...arehouse_.html

ESC: Turnigy AE-65A
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...arehouse_.html

Battery:
ZIPPY Compact 4000mAh 4S 25C Lipo
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...Lipo_Pack.html

Prop: Master Airscrew 8x6 G/F Nylon Propeller
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXZ955&P=7
Old Sep 09, 2015, 07:10 PM
Find More Posts by skiser87
Joined Nov 2012
14 Posts
Yes, thanks Tim. TR, where is the combat footage?
skiser87 is offline Find More Posts by skiser87
Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:21 PM
Find More Posts by Salin
Heath
Appleton, Wisconsin
Joined Aug 2002
221 Posts
Updated Power Setup for Gnat, Or why I have so many 4 cell batteries

I am changing my power setup recommendation for Gnats. I have been flying the old setup for the past two years. While my old recommendation does work, I am switching to a different setup that has a larger diameter motor shaft and increased efficiency. See the attached chart for a comparison. I can't say that this is the very best setup, but its the best I have found so far.

The largest drawback of the D2826-6 is the motor shaft is 3.17mm. This results in a bent motor shaft when you hit a plane or have a not so perfect landing. Additionally because the motor is being run very close to the max power, a slightly bent shaft can push the amps over the max and burn out the motor. Flying with a slightly bent shaft is also very hard on the air-frame/motor mount due to large amounts of vibration. Not recommended! The motor is cheap to buy $11 and shafts are only $.50 but fixing all the bent shafts is a pain.

My new recommendation, the D3542-4 has a 5 mm shaft. This shaft is much harder to bend. In a vertical high speed crash you may still bend it but a prop strike or mild crash will not bend it. The only shaft I have bent on the 5mm so far was when I crashed into the hard packed gravel road at full speed (radio link failure while doing a high speed diving turn around). The entire motor bell was crushed so at that point the shaft bending is beside the point.

I have also discovered that moving to 4 cells and a larger motor improves efficiency. This allows for a smaller battery, off setting the weight of the larger motor. The motor is more expensive, $19, but the batteries are less expensive so the cost is about the same.

Please note that the batteries listed here are the MINIMUM mAH targeting 6 min of WOT. The battery must be able to provide the entire listed capacity before low battery cutoff. Because of this I stopped using my old well used 3300mAH 3 cells because I was landing early and moved to the 4000mAH that gave me a reserve. A reserve allows you to launch first and not worry about landing before time is up.

Here is the link to the motor I was using:
D2826-6

Here is the link to the motor I am moving to:
Motor: Turnigy D3542/4 1450KV Brushless Outrunner

On a side note the D3542/4 is also the motor I am using for Limited B & VAM open class, with a 10x4 prop, so moving to it will allow all my combat aircraft to use the same motor. Given what I have learned about motor size, KV, and Voltage it maybe possible to find an more efficient motor for limited B & VAM open class with a five or six cell setup but for now this is the motor I will be using.

As always I reserve the right to tinker and find a better setup, if I do I will let you know!