Thread Tools
Old Jan 10, 2016, 01:49 PM
sporn is offline
Find More Posts by sporn
Registered User
Joined Aug 2007
178 Posts
You can find this Cessna in RTF/KIT/PNP on aliexpress.com. Search for Giant Cessna 182.
I used the lights from retired FMS T-28, 1400mm airplanes, but I believe even Hobbyking has some decent light kits available. I added aluminum reflectors and plastic covers to enhance the lights and installed an on/off switch for the landing lights from HK.
sporn is offline Find More Posts by sporn
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2016, 03:17 AM
Arkx400 is offline
Find More Posts by Arkx400
Registered User
Sydney Australia
Joined Aug 2009
494 Posts
Can anyone confirm what size the stock propeller is. My memory is somewhat hazy but am thinking it is a 14x7. I cant find the APC-E that I was using on it and in desperation flew it with the stock prop that came with the plane. That prop is useless but it fly's well with the APC-E
Arkx400 is offline Find More Posts by Arkx400
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2016, 10:39 AM
sporn is offline
Find More Posts by sporn
Registered User
Joined Aug 2007
178 Posts
Stock prop is 14x7. I use a 3 blade 14x9
sporn is offline Find More Posts by sporn
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2016, 05:28 PM
sporn is offline
Find More Posts by sporn
Registered User
Joined Aug 2007
178 Posts
182 pics

pics
sporn is offline Find More Posts by sporn
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2016, 02:51 PM
Cubcrazy is online now
Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
Scale Foam Flyer
Cubcrazy's Avatar
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
4,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sporn View Post
You can find this Cessna in RTF/KIT/PNP on aliexpress.com. Search for Giant Cessna 182.
I used the lights from retired FMS T-28, 1400mm airplanes, but I believe even Hobbyking has some decent light kits available. I added aluminum reflectors and plastic covers to enhance the lights and installed an on/off switch for the landing lights from HK.
I just pulled the trigger on a kit from Aliexpress. I have never bought anything from them before, and my credit card sent me a notice to confirm the charge before it would go through. I seem to remember this happening before from an overseas vendor, but I can't recall. I hope they are a good vendor. The sale included free shipping that claimed a delivery date of 13 business days.

That said, I am looking fwd to moving fwd with my Cessna 182RG project once it arrives. If I am really satisfied with the plane and service from Aliexpress, I'll likely sell my FMS Cessna that I have on floats, and get another 1870mm and put it on floats instead.

-CC
Cubcrazy is online now Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Warning!! Graphic images of...
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2016, 03:29 PM
davidmc36 is offline
Find More Posts by davidmc36
No bounce, No play.
davidmc36's Avatar
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
5,266 Posts
I sort of wondered about AliExpress but recently bought a few small item. Had no issues.
davidmc36 is offline Find More Posts by davidmc36
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2016, 03:48 PM
Charlescd is offline
Find More Posts by Charlescd
RC Paraglider / Sailplanes
Charlescd's Avatar
Canada, QC, st-jean-sur-richelieu
Joined May 2010
772 Posts
I have had no problems so far on all the orders that came from Aliexpress.
Charlescd is offline Find More Posts by Charlescd
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2016, 12:02 PM
Cubcrazy is online now
Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
Scale Foam Flyer
Cubcrazy's Avatar
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
4,570 Posts
My giant Cessna arrived today in mint condition! 6 business days? I'm very pleased. I tried to go and order another, but of course its, "no longer available". Oh well...maybe it will come available again at some point. Meanwhile..I cant decide if I want to do the 182RG thing, or floats. Decisions....

-CC
Cubcrazy is online now Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Warning!! Graphic images of...
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2016, 02:35 AM
Cubcrazy is online now
Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
Scale Foam Flyer
Cubcrazy's Avatar
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
4,570 Posts
Im betting that many will disagree with my intention, but I am going to run my Cessna on a 450kv motor and 6S, with a 14x9x3 prop. I know that it was designed around a 4S system, but its such a large airplane, it will be a great compliment to my Carbon Z Cub which runs 6S. I'm gonna do a custom paint scheme, custom float struts, lights, and I will be running the Carbon Z Cub Floats.

Thoughts?

-CC
Cubcrazy is online now Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Warning!! Graphic images of...
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2016, 04:52 AM
charlatan is offline
Find More Posts by charlatan
Registered User
charlatan's Avatar
Liverpool, UK
Joined Jun 2002
512 Posts
I run mine on a 600kv 4250 motor on 5s and 14x7 prop. Flies great, go for it the weight is no issue to the cessna
charlatan is offline Find More Posts by charlatan
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2016, 05:46 AM
AussieHoppy is online now
Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
what goes up, must come down..
AussieHoppy's Avatar
Joined May 2010
3,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubcrazy View Post
...I will be running the Carbon Z Cub Floats.
Thoughts?
-CC
I'm still running 4 cell but on Terra firma, but if I were to go floats off water I'd be going 5S-6S too not for.speed but power to get on step with authority. On 6 cell though, I'd be very cautious with the wing struts anchoring points, if you haven't strengthened them already.
AussieHoppy is online now Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2016, 06:11 AM
Cubcrazy is online now
Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
Scale Foam Flyer
Cubcrazy's Avatar
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
4,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy View Post
I'm still running 4 cell but on Terra firma, but if I were to go floats off water I'd be going 5S-6S too not for.speed but power to get on step with authority. On 6 cell though, I'd be very cautious with the wing struts anchoring points, if you haven't strengthened them already.
Good to know. I haven't started the build yet. I just ordered the aluminum strut material, so I wont see that till probably Tuesday or Wednesday. I'm going to go pick out my primary paint color in a little while. I haven't decided for certain. Wife is pushing for some shade of purple, which I'm not against...just haven't decided yet. I will probably have pics up tomorrow night of at least the painted fuselage. Since the front windshield has the absurd black frame on it, I will likely paint all the "glass" black from the inside to mimic extremely dark tint. I think I will also cut the left side door off, and make that my battery access hatch. With dark windows, theres nothing worth seeing inside the cockpit anyway. Also, my wing will have a long CF spar, and I will have a couple degrees of dihedral. a completely flat wing doesnt look right.

-CC
Cubcrazy is online now Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Warning!! Graphic images of...
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2016, 06:42 AM
AussieHoppy is online now
Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
what goes up, must come down..
AussieHoppy's Avatar
Joined May 2010
3,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubcrazy View Post
Good to know. I haven't started the build yet. I just ordered the aluminum strut material, so I wont see that till probably Tuesday or Wednesday. I'm going to go pick out my primary paint color in a little while. I haven't decided for certain. Wife is pushing for some shade of purple, which I'm not against...just haven't decided yet. I will probably have pics up tomorrow night of at least the painted fuselage. Since the front windshield has the absurd black frame on it, I will likely paint all the "glass" black from the inside to mimic extremely dark tint. I think I will also cut the left side door off, and make that my battery access hatch. With dark windows, theres nothing worth seeing inside the cockpit anyway. Also, my wing will have a long CF spar, and I will have a couple degrees of dihedral. a completely flat wing doesnt look right.

-CC
A decent purple would look nice I reckon.
Fluffy dice hanging from the rear view mirror too, Alvin Purple esque
The Windscreen "matrix" does look way overkill, but then the huge foam frame in the cockpit also detracts from the scale looks. I bought my first one when they were first released with the intention of scale cockpit fpv but the re-work in the cockpit was going to take a bit of doing to transfer the stresses so I never bothered, but as a LOS scale rendition I still love it. I'm not so keen on blacking out the windows though, the clears look scale while doing low slow passes
I don't think it is a necessity to cut a cabin door for battery access, although at one point I had considered doing it simply for scale appearance. A while back I flew 40 minutes with 2 x fresh 5800 4S, bored as hell when I landed lol these fit reasonably easily in the usual spot under the ply floor.
I found there was enough dihedral when flying to look scale, I think the slight sag as the fuse weight pulls down on the main wings is just enough dihedral, full scale dihedral is minimal anyway.
Let us know how you go with the Cub floaties please, I'd be interested to know how they work for you. Often considered floats too, never got there...
AussieHoppy is online now Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2016, 07:18 AM
Cubcrazy is online now
Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
Scale Foam Flyer
Cubcrazy's Avatar
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
4,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy View Post
I don't think it is a necessity to cut a cabin door for battery access, although at one point I had considered doing it simply for scale appearance.

The Cabin door will come in handy when the floats are on (this plane will never be flown from land, unless I mount wheels to the floats). Having to reach past the floats to load a battery, and flip the plane upside down etc, will risk more hangar rash. I dont like the idea of completely blacking out the windows either, but with the battery in the cockpit, its almost a must. The interior leaves a lot to be desired as it is, though. If I can cleanly remove the blackness from the windscreen, I may go another way with it. I might do as I have done with other projects, and make the windscreen the battery hatch.

-CC
Cubcrazy is online now Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Warning!! Graphic images of...
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2016, 08:14 AM
AussieHoppy is online now
Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
what goes up, must come down..
AussieHoppy's Avatar
Joined May 2010
3,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubcrazy View Post
The Cabin door will come in handy when the floats are on (this plane will never be flown from land, unless I mount wheels to the floats). Having to reach past the floats to load a battery, and flip the plane upside down etc, will risk more hangar rash. I dont like the idea of completely blacking out the windows either, but with the battery in the cockpit, its almost a must. The interior leaves a lot to be desired as it is, though. If I can cleanly remove the blackness from the windscreen, I may go another way with it. I might do as I have done with other projects, and make the windscreen the battery hatch.

-CC
Ah, yes, I see where you are coming from with this. I'd still flip upside down tbh but then, this is my 2nd Cess which has had some abuse before me so no nice paint work to worry about
If I went with battery in cockpit, I'd probably black out the windows too
AussieHoppy is online now Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
Reply With Quote


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question Cessna 182 (980 mm, EPO) Art-Tech karosi Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 3 Apr 27, 2010 02:38 PM
Discussion Bae Hawk Red Arrow,Flying Illusion by Tian Sheng 990mm hypstar Foamy EDFs 1 Feb 14, 2010 08:49 PM
Discussion 5ch EPO Cessna 182 with flaps RxR, incredible price BaracW Hot Online Deals 8 Feb 23, 2009 10:29 PM
Discussion Hobbycity's New Cessna 182 RTF 5Ch with Lighting & Flaps EPO anthodenn Parkflyers 1 Oct 22, 2008 02:09 PM