HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 02, 2014, 07:14 AM
Joined Oct 2013
114 Posts
Discussion
Flea market find- Super Hawaii

I picked up this Super Hawaii RC boat today for $40. Boat itself is in near mint shape. No remote though. Was this a good buy? What should I do to get it up and running at a reasonable price? Any easy mods? I was able to put batteries in and it seems to start up though the MSC got super hot "unsure why" Is a 25amp fuse on it right? Im not used to this old tech though if someone can fill me in. Woudl this Futuba Attack remote work well for this? thanks
CWBETB is offline Find More Posts by CWBETB
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2014, 07:28 AM
Union, Maine
Joined Jul 2006
4,110 Posts
Looks like a really good deal to me.
Jerome Morris is online now Find More Posts by Jerome Morris
Old Jun 02, 2014, 08:51 AM
20M northeast of Hell Mi
United States, MI, Howell
Joined Jul 2012
309 Posts
The resistors or the switch getting hot? The resistors will get hot when running at slower speeds. Check motors and shafts for rot. May have been put away wet. Nice fined.
liljimmy is online now Find More Posts by liljimmy
Old Jun 02, 2014, 09:27 AM
Joined Oct 2013
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by liljimmy View Post
The resistors or the switch getting hot? The resistors will get hot when running at slower speeds. Check motors and shafts for rot. May have been put away wet. Nice fined.

Thanks will do. Doing more research appears to get this thing running half decent Ill need

Novak EVX esc
Traxxas Titan motors

Though I would just like to get it moving at this point
Old Jun 02, 2014, 10:05 AM
N.E.Mass.
Joined Apr 2007
3,092 Posts
The attack should work just fine but do get rid of that mechanical speed control and go with an electronic. Better control, little heat, batteries last longer. The resister type are a heavy drain on batteries.
charlie eaton is offline Find More Posts by charlie eaton
Old Jun 02, 2014, 10:05 AM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,778 Posts
Resistor speed controls will get very hot by design. I have the burns to prove it. These types turn excess power into heat. At full throttle you are bypassing the resistor wire altogether and running direct from the battery, which is how they figure you would run a fast electric boat or RC car 90% of the time.

Old Tamiya RC cars came with ceramic resistors and heat shields.
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
Old Jun 02, 2014, 10:21 AM
RcBoater
Joined Feb 2014
251 Posts
Hawaii

Wrong thread..
Dennis Manning is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Manning
Last edited by Dennis Manning; Jun 03, 2014 at 10:57 AM.
Old Jun 02, 2014, 01:08 PM
Joined Oct 2013
114 Posts
Good info on the MSC! Thanks! What would be the preferred speed controller(ESC) for a double battery/motor setup like this
Old Jun 02, 2014, 05:30 PM
Sometimes I am the weapon
South Korea, Gyeonggi-do, Ansan-si
Joined Jan 2006
1,064 Posts
Ditch the 75 MHz radio idea and go 2.4 GHz. Tons of options and probably much much cheaper than that Futaba setup. Try Hobby King first (one of the site sponsors).
Harquebus is offline Find More Posts by Harquebus
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 02, 2014, 05:38 PM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,450 Posts
An old trick with resistor speed control is to take an art gum eraser and use it to clean the carbon from it. Take the wiper off and use a fine emery board or nail file to clean the contact and that should get rid of some of the heat.\
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Jun 02, 2014, 09:42 PM
Joined Oct 2013
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooman2008 View Post
An old trick with resistor speed control is to take an art gum eraser and use it to clean the carbon from it. Take the wiper off and use a fine emery board or nail file to clean the contact and that should get rid of some of the heat.\
Foo

I will give that a shot also. I took apart the prop/shaft and it was gummed up so I cleaned it out and relubed, seems much smoother now testing the motor, maybe even less heat on the MSC.

Im curious this boat takes two 7.2v. Would a single 9.6v that I have laying around be more efficient then two 7,2v due to weight?
Last edited by CWBETB; Jun 02, 2014 at 09:59 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 08:54 AM
Joined Oct 2013
114 Posts
Got the boat up and running! I tried it with 2 7.2v and it just cavited and went about 4mph. I then tried a single 9.6v which took it a while to get on plane but when it finally did it moved ok 10mph or so? Seemed like the prop was slipping. I installed a Anti Cavitation plate above the prop last night and also sprayed out the gear box. Ditched the cheesy graphics for a more stock look and painted the drivers. Heat sinks should be here today also. See if any better luck today.
Last edited by CWBETB; Jun 11, 2014 at 09:35 AM.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 11:28 AM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
5,054 Posts
Hi CWBETB,

I'm sure you found this video of an upgraded Super Hawaii:
RC Boat SUPER HAWAII Speedboat project (8 min 45 sec)

This is about as far as I would go with this design, as more power will make it virtually undrivable.

The plate above the prop is counterproductive; it's a surface piercing drive and the energy of the roostertail should not be blocked.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As the hull is vacuumformed, all edges are rounded, which sucks, literally.

Water will creep up and suck the hull down.
A major improvement is sharpening the trailing edge on the transom, the result is a noticable gain in speed without having to invest in new equipment.

The sketch shows how I go about it:

The goo is scrap ABS solved in MEK or Acetone to the consistency of runny putty.
This applied in thin(!) layers to avoid the solvent attacking the hull and will take some time before sufficient material is in place.

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is online now Find More Posts by pompebled
Old Jun 11, 2014, 01:05 PM
Joined Oct 2013
114 Posts
Thanks Jan, the video you posted are pretty much what I am going for. Nothing to crazy but something with stable speed.

Any recommended prop for this setup? Octura X445?
Old Jun 12, 2014, 05:56 AM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
5,054 Posts
Hi

If you're skilled in sharpening and balancing metal props, go for an Octura.

Otherwise try the 2317.xx series from Graupner, start with a 45K:
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...od=grp-2317.45
Depending on how hot the motors get (with or witout watercooling) you may even try a 48K.

As the motors have a fluxring, you could add watercooling in the form of brass tubes soldered onto the fluxring (which you remove prior to working on them), combined with brushtab cooling you'll have more heat build up headroom:

A little heat conducting past between the fluxring and can won't hurt.

Here's a picture of how a 600 motor is bolted onto a stuffing tube flange:

As your motors are bolted onto the gearbox, you'll need to bend the tubing, in stead of going straight as in the picture.

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is online now Find More Posts by pompebled