SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 28, 2013, 08:17 PM
Joined Sep 2013
78 Posts
Discussion
HELP: Verify my understanding: set up a TX/RX (Futaba T8J) w/ Naza M v1 (DJI Phantom)

Hi all,

I know there are tutorials on youtube on how to do this, but since I am new to RC, I'd like to learn and understand what is what instead of following a video blindly. I'd like to share my understanding of things and get corrected where I am making mistakes. Multi-rotors seem simpler than RC planes (probably because of those smart flight controllers) and I don't have the background of heli or RC planes, so I am starting from scratch.

As I understand it, a Naza-M has 8 individual channels (in PPM or SBUS, discrete connections or a smarter signal bus version). Those 7 channels are:

A: For roll control (left/right)
E: For pitch control (front/back)
T: For throttle control
R: For rudder control
U: For Control Model Switch
X1: For gimbal pitch control / For gain tuning
X2: For D-Bus(S-Bus/S-Bus2 compatible) / For gain tuning / For IOC switch
X3: ? - Not sure if that's a channel or an input for battery voltage measurements

Channel 1-4 (A,E,T,R) are your normal TX joysticks channels.
Channel 5 should be bound to a three way control mode switch (GPS / Attitude Mode / Manual Mode)
Channel 6 is for the gimbal pitch - though I don't understand why when the hidden DJI Receiver knob for Gimbal pitch control is mentioned, it's in association with the 7th Channel.
Channel 7 is the IOC switch, best on a three position switch with Off / Course Lock / Home Lock

I don't really understand the technique behind setting up failsafe via button press and not just signal loss. I think it has to do with channel mixing (one physically action triggering signal change on more than one channel?)

I hope some of you can help me confirm / modify my understanding of things.
gnapoleon is offline Find More Posts by gnapoleon
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2013, 05:55 PM
Joined Sep 2013
78 Posts
BUMP - no help?
gnapoleon is offline Find More Posts by gnapoleon
Old Oct 03, 2013, 02:48 PM
AMA 754
Phoenix area
Joined Apr 2004
1,629 Posts
You've pretty much nailed it. The X3 input socket on the NAZA is indeed the power input from the PMU (Power Management Unit). Using a transmitter channel for gimbal control allows you to override the camera's home position, and the NAZA will then try to keep it in that position. The failsafe option can be triggered in a number of ways... by using a mix to offset the flight mode position(switch-controlled failsafe), or by programming your receiver to tell the NAZA what to do if it stops receiving transmitter signals (loss of signal failsafe). The latter is possible with most, but not all, receivers. The newer firmware also allows you to permanently assign one of the three flight mode options as either manual mode or failsafe, eliminating the need to use a mix.
BobRCnut is offline Find More Posts by BobRCnut
Old Jan 22, 2014, 03:23 PM
Joined Dec 2013
1 Posts
Thanks for that post gnapoleon awesome help!

I'm new to all this too and have recently purchased a new transmitter and receiver (Walkera Devo12s and RX1202... I previously had the Orange RX7 receiver... My question is... with the Orange RX7 it didn't seem to have it's own external power input (separate battery) instead getting its power via the Naza controller.. The new receiver requires 5V and so I wondered what does channel U do/mean? Control Model switch? Is this the power output that the Orange RX7 used?

Anyone's help would be greatly and wonderfully appreciated...lol!!
Tuakau is offline Find More Posts by Tuakau