HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2014, 08:58 PM
GPR
Rochester, Michigan
Joined Jan 2009
516 Posts
I drilled holes in the trim plates for the 000 FH brass screws. These are clearance holes only. Using these holes, I will drill pilot holes into the hull. Then I will drill out the holes to allow the flat heads to seat flush to the surface of the plates.

The top half of the cutwater trim also has a guide for the bowline, and I was able to solder a piece on, even though the plates are epoxied together. All of this trim will need to final polishing and plating, including the brass screws, before assembly.
GPR is offline Find More Posts by GPR
Last edited by GPR; Oct 16, 2014 at 09:04 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2014, 10:34 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,614 Posts
Beautiful!
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Oct 17, 2014, 06:14 PM
Camden Maine
Joined Feb 2005
1,124 Posts
What a nice job you are doing
H.Lauer is offline Find More Posts by H.Lauer
Old Yesterday, 09:23 AM
GPR
Rochester, Michigan
Joined Jan 2009
516 Posts
I received an email from Doug Morin the other day. He sent me some photos of Lockpat II's 1A-2025 Packard engine showing various stages of rebuild. They will be helpful in building the mock engine cover for the motor. He said that they got Lockpat II running for the new owner and did a photo shoot with some other boats that they sold in the same area. They also winterized Lockpat and Tempo VI for the new owner.

Yesterday, MKCSyd called with the exciting news that the latest issue of Classic Boating (#182, Nov./ Dec.) has a ten page center spread of Lockpat II. GREAT, more pictures! I used to subscribe but don't currently, so I'm calling them today to order a copy. I'll bet the photos in that article were taken when Doug Morin and company were there.
Old Yesterday, 09:54 AM
GPR
Rochester, Michigan
Joined Jan 2009
516 Posts
I have been working on trim odds and ends. I had some 1/8th inch brass half round left over from Thunderbird. I drilled out attachment holes in two long sections for the side moldings. I also drilled out holes in some brass-plated hinging material for the four deck hatch hinges.
I don't have a nice drill press. After experimenting with various approaches, I ended up using my dremel with it's drill press attachment. I controlled the speed with the variable speed foot pedal for the hand tool I purchased earlier this year for the plank fasteners. That allowed me to slow the dremel down so I didn't burn up the drills. Not the best tool to use, but it is working OK. I have lots more drilling to do on trim pieces.
Old Yesterday, 10:04 AM
Milford Mi.
Joined Jan 2011
168 Posts
1/8" half round brass strips

Hi GPR. How did you make your 1/8" half round brass strips? Did you make a fixture to mill them from round stock? Thank you. Gary
glgirvin is offline Find More Posts by glgirvin
Old Yesterday, 10:20 AM
GPR
Rochester, Michigan
Joined Jan 2009
516 Posts
Gary,
When I was building Thunderbird, Ken Valk of Wet Goose Marine told me that he had paid someone to mill a number of 5 ft. lengths of 1/8th inch brass round stock down to half round, and he still had 5 or 6 sticks left. I bought them all (not cheap), and I still had some left for this project. If I needed more today I would buy 1/8 in rod and file down one half, or 1/8 x 1/16 bar stock and round off two corners.