HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 07, 2012, 01:34 PM
just a rumour
Joined Jun 2006
881 Posts
Build Log
Robbe Fox 2.17m Maidened and video posted

I picked up my Robbe Fox Kit from the courier today

I bought her second hand from a fellow in Cape Town and boy did he wrap with love and care! Naked bubble wrap then brown paper bubble wrap, layer on layer and to top it off some charming doodles by his daughter who must have been helping. I'm not sure what year this kit was produced, I can't find much info online but I can say that mine is in perfect condition. I am only missing the cockpit which you see on this kit:

I am delighted with the quality of the kit. It is more of a slope model in my opinion. The wings and fuselage are quite heavy. The layup of the fuselage is better than anything I have ever held. Granted my experience in grp fuselages is limited to my Worlds Model Bard and Sabine Rippin Libelle. The shell is nice and thick around the cockpit area and I can see carbon reinforcing around the wing area and cockpit. It's fantastic!

The wings have a semi symmetrical airfoil (modified RG12) and the control surfaces are reasonably generous. I expect that I will be having a ball of a time with inverted flight and precision aerobatics.

I have no build instructions so I would love it if any of you would be so kind as to chime in with helful hints and advice.

I can see that the elevator control rod will exit below the elevator through the nice big hole there. I imagine I will have to drill a hole for the rudder unless i can come up with some kind of pull-pull system.
Drusky is offline Find More Posts by Drusky
Last edited by Drusky; Oct 08, 2012 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Completed
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2012, 04:14 AM
Missing you too FB!
South Africa, Eastern Cape, Port Elizabeth
Joined Sep 2010
2,360 Posts
very nice prawn!
Bakkie is online now Find More Posts by Bakkie
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Let's try FPV!!!!
Old Jun 10, 2012, 02:48 PM
just a rumour
Joined Jun 2006
881 Posts
Thanks amigo. I can't wait for the maiden!

I've managed to get a start on the cockpit using lightply. Now I'd like to add a control panel or dash and the top of the seats. Much like the blow moulded version in the picture above.

Does anyone have some good pics of a Fox cockpit they'd care to post? I'd like to be able to get a rough idea of dimensions. I'm not planning on anything ultrascale but standoff (with squinting) would be nice!

Edit:
Found some cockipt pics here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...24&postcount=8
3 view here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...56&postcount=7
Last edited by Drusky; Jun 11, 2012 at 02:34 AM.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:43 AM
just a rumour
Joined Jun 2006
881 Posts
Not much more to do on the cockpit. As I said before, it's stand off scale. I wouldn't mind a dash image that I could cut out and glue in... anyone got one handy?

Still to do:

Glue a flat rod perpendicularly to the plane of the cockpit and along the middle of the length and tape the lot back onto the model while the glue sets. This will hopefully set the cockpit shape to match the slightly curved fuselage.

Paint the cockpit blue and apply paper printed dash to the consoles.

Perhaps make a pilot and pop it in there.

Glue cockpit to canopy and apply black pin tape along the edges and over the middle where the real canopies join.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 02:58 PM
just a rumour
Joined Jun 2006
881 Posts
Painted, need dash, dials and whatnot and maybe a pirate.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:14 PM
just a rumour
Joined Jun 2006
881 Posts
Done. Well... it's flight ready. I wanted to put a pirate in but when he came he was ships boy size. I might make one at some point. For now I will only add some cosmetic yellow tape to the canopy to make it look slightly more scale.

I left the back of the cockpit open so that I can insert a little camera. I have high voltage metal gear digital servos all round. Corona DS238HV.

I will post a maiden video when I get a chance to maiden her. She feels very heavy to me. CG is on the wing spar.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:42 PM
Missing you too FB!
South Africa, Eastern Cape, Port Elizabeth
Joined Sep 2010
2,360 Posts
Looks awesome dude!!!!
Bakkie is online now Find More Posts by Bakkie
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Let's try FPV!!!!
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:48 PM
just a rumour
Joined Jun 2006
881 Posts
Thanks man. Cannot wait to fly it... Saturday or Sunday... perhaps both days!

Forgot to add:
Wings are held on with neodinium magnets. The polyurethane plastic resin starts life as a clear milky liquid and turns white as it cures. I will post AUW with the flight report. I am a little concerned that my cg may be too far forward. Perhaps someone who has this model knows?
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:15 AM
Upwardly Mobile
Roodepoort, South Africa
Joined Aug 2007
1,037 Posts
Hi Drusky,
Looks real cool , good luck with the maiden, be sure to post some pics
I dont know the Fox but I would guess , it should balance aroud the main joiner, or anout 30 percent back from the leading edge, if it is slightly ahead of that it may be nose heavy, not a bad thing on a maiden off a big slope.
good luck
Mike
mikegbogh is offline Find More Posts by mikegbogh
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:21 AM
Air Crash Expert
Louisiana
Joined Oct 2005
1,196 Posts
Very nice !!
I too, have fallen for the looks of the Fox. My plan is to attempt my own mold for the fuselage and foam core wings. The idea is to get the weight down to "thermal" range, if possible......no slopes here.
sawman is offline Find More Posts by sawman
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:54 AM
just a rumour
Joined Jun 2006
881 Posts
You should consider the Windrider EPP Fox sawman. It may work for you. I doubt mine would ever Thermal at 2.2kg AUW.

Thanks Mike. It didn't look tight to me at first but it seems ok when I follow the current Cg in a line out to the wing tips.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 01:29 PM
Air Crash Expert
Louisiana
Joined Oct 2005
1,196 Posts
Actually I should've mentioned that what I'm looking for is something in the 3 to 4 meter span.
The larger size will allow a little more "fudge" factor in wing area to assist in lowering the load. I'm stuck on bigger planes for some reason.
FlyFly makes a 3M, but shipping to the states is steep and I'm not convinced of the quality.
I might be able to beat their weight if I can do a half-decent layup with glass and carbon.

Best of luck to ya !!
sawman is offline Find More Posts by sawman
Old Oct 06, 2012, 01:33 AM
.....till the wind drops.
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Joined Oct 2006
3,581 Posts
[QUOTE=Drusky;22917344]....... Cannot wait to fly it... Saturday or Sunday... perhaps both days!......

QUOTE]

Post before ja go!.....would love to meet you there!
Sean Oelofse is offline Find More Posts by Sean Oelofse
Last edited by Sean Oelofse; Oct 06, 2012 at 01:37 AM. Reason: What would ideal conditions be, strength wise?
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:13 PM
just a rumour
Joined Jun 2006
881 Posts
Maiden completed

Sorry Sean, I would definitely have given you a shout if I had checked my thread...

Saturday I tried to Maiden the Fox. First throw and she nosed into the slope... no damage. The wind was not very heavy at all. A fair breeze. Being optimistic I had another go. I was quick enough on the sticks and manage to glide further down the slope and park her again undamaged in the bushes. Being stupid I had a third go and managed to do some decent damage. Impact speed pretty much the same as the first throw less than the second. A few hard twigs were in the way.

That night I repaired the chunk out the wing and reset the stab. In resetting the stab I decided to fit some hard points where it plugs into the fuse (front) and on the bolt down point (middle). In the process I got the alignment relative to the long plane of the wing out. Not a big problem but annoying, will have to be fixed.

I don't have an incidence meter. That should be the title of this post. The incidence of the stab turned out to be negative. You can see in the maiden vid how that affected my flying experience. I also need to remember to clean bonding surfaces with acetone before applying epoxy adhesive. My servo tray came loose after todays first throw/dive/crash. I had to go home to fix it. I must say my frustrating maiden experience was made quite pleasant by the good company of the local slope nuts. What nice bunch of guys!

The balance is perfect on the wing spar. The model soars very nicely, no thermaling though. Definitely a slope machine. Fast, good energy retention, needs flaps. I look forward to flying it again with the correct stab incidence

The Robbe fuselage is very stoutly built. The wing leading edge is balsa. If I am going to fly this at the slope again, I will, then I must replace the leading edge with hardwood stock and consider fitting flaps. That balsa leading edge is hopelessly soft.

The magnet wing retention worked very well. I managed to do a very nice stall spin.

Robbe Fox 2.17m wingspan (3 min 37 sec)

more photies in the PE slope thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...305921&page=63