SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 01, 2010, 03:33 PM
UK,Suffolk Newmarket
Joined Aug 2010
10 Posts
Discussion
Sail Winches

Hi all You Voyager SailBoat Skippers. I'm a new boy in this R/C \sailing and am just about to commence building my Thunder Tiger Voyager kit. But it would appear that it is left to the builder as to what sail winch he builds in to his boatas one was not included with my Futaba T2ER Radio. What winch would you advise me to get.
cabinboy is offline Find More Posts by cabinboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2010, 04:58 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
424 Posts
I'd use a Hitec Sail Arm Servo and a Hitec 311 Rudder Servo. Below is how I rigged my USOM. With the Hitec arm supplied. Looks complex but is worth the effort for ease of adjustment.
Alternately make your own arm as a "double purchase" setup. I think double purchase work better as they are more balanced but you need to calculate the arm lengths to get correct sail swing. Jib and boom have different travel to get both at 90 degrees on downwind run.

Below is a "double purchase" arm.
larrykin is offline Find More Posts by larrykin
Last edited by larrykin; Sep 01, 2010 at 05:59 PM. Reason: add pic
Old Sep 02, 2010, 05:14 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
2,967 Posts
Its designed for a "standard" size servo, but these are not really man enough for anything but the slightest breeze. I shopped around and got a high torque version, same external dimensions, lots more pull. The instructions for the Victoria intend a single ended arm. I had to make a new arm, about 5 minutes attacking a piece of scrap plywood.
mfr02 is offline Find More Posts by mfr02
Old Sep 10, 2010, 09:59 AM
UK,Suffolk Newmarket
Joined Aug 2010
10 Posts
Greetings to Larrykin & mfrO2. Thanks for your reply to my query about winches. Apologies for this late reply but have been away. There's a helluva lot more to this sailboat lark than meets the eye innit.
cabinboy is offline Find More Posts by cabinboy
Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:36 PM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
2,008 Posts
Larrykin, the arm, and boat, looks very nice. Do you find the 'bent around' shape helps with extra torque at the end of the travel, and less snags? I've seen designs like this many times, but have never done it myself. I am building several big (54") boats and an arm like that would fit very nicely.

Dave
boater_dave is offline Find More Posts by boater_dave
Old Sep 11, 2010, 10:53 PM
aurora, il.
Joined Aug 2009
218 Posts
Dave, here's one I just put in a Santa Barbara 70" long, the offset on the ends is so the blocks can rotate as the arm swigs from end to end.
John R.
tbarjohn is offline Find More Posts by tbarjohn