7,308 Posts
Here you go David...

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAN64&P=M
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old Jan 20, 2010, 05:50 AM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
5,290 Posts
David22........I don't know what kind of smoke system you have, but the one I had in a U-can-do 60 was a TME system using a 6oz tank and the engine was a ST2300. Great smoke, but it lasted maybe 8-10 seconds. I had to build a brass coil inside the muffler and I may have not put enough restriction at the end. Needless to say........an ST2300 on a 60-sized plane is overkill and the thing would start gaining speed even at the lowest of idles. Just dumping a stream (or heavy mist, even) into the muffler isn't enough.....the muffler has to be hot enough too.......so prewarming the oil before you spray it into the exhaust gas's hottest point (just as it exits the cylinder), becomes essential.

Oh, don't forget to check out TME's site for recipes on different smoke oils. http://www.tmenet.com/brews.htm
snowman is online now Find More Posts by snowman
Old Jan 20, 2010, 07:34 AM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David22 View Post
I got the worlds smallest smoke tank in the twist 60

2 oz

oh well largest in my situataion that could fit without a custom tank

made up a video system so when smoke is turned on video looks back

and when turned off looks forward

something like that

guys I know don't use form release anymore but paper instead or whatever

and don't have any to give me

so a mixture of diesel and something ( ethal or drycleaners stuff, etc)

NO ONE in town carries the proper just for made smoke oil around here

Time for some jungle juice for the smoke system and should hopefully prolong the smoke
Did you remove the CG thing?
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Jan 20, 2010, 07:40 AM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
the muffler has to be hot enough too.......so prewarming the oil before you spray it into the exhaust gas's hottest point (just as it exits the cylinder), becomes essential.
Pre-heat is what everyone says you have to have on glow engines so it must be essential. I guess you should lean the engine as much as safely possible if you don't pre-heat. Leaning it will at least get more heat to the exhaust. It would maybe help if you had an atomizing muffler tap if you could find one.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Jan 20, 2010, 08:13 AM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,972 Posts
I was wondering if Fog fluid would work? I know it has to get pretty hot, which I don't think would be a problem, but in the band we use a fogger for our light show effects and was always wondering if anyone ever tried it on RC planes. of course it might dissipate pretty quickly in a breeze, maybe not, I know I breathe it in for quite a while on a good blast of fog when were playing Comfortably Numb lol

I believe its a mixture between 10 to 75% glycol to water depending on how dense you want the fog from what I've read about it.

I was always told that a 40 sized motor wouldn't produce a good enough smoke for any type smoke system, which was all we ever flew back then so I've never tried. but now I have bountiful of engines that could produce smoke, so this year i might finally try one on my Fokker Tripe with Zenoah G26.
Waldopepperaxe is offline Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old Jan 20, 2010, 08:13 AM
Montana Transplant
United States, OR, Klamath Falls
Joined Aug 2005
1,932 Posts
wow gone 10 days and all H$$L breaks loose...
mt_flyer is offline Find More Posts by mt_flyer
Old Jan 20, 2010, 08:17 AM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,972 Posts
LOL MT,,, I was gone 2 days when it happened
Old Jan 20, 2010, 08:23 AM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,592 Posts
Thanks for all the help and advice

The cg machine is still installed

Will do some ground tests and make a short vid to give you guys a laugh before the actual maiden with smoke system
David22 is online now Find More Posts by David22
Old Jan 20, 2010, 09:45 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
WOW IT's CHANGED but thyats ok I found U all
Well I've been a very very bad boy. You see I went to the KCRC swap meet an of course momma gave me a 100 dollars of the grocery money to go.
Now this swapmeet is big they had it in an expo center which is bigger that a gym an it was packed.
Well I walked around an checked everything out. Now realizing I only had a 100 dollars I really took my time before buying anything.
And as you all know the very best deals are always at the very last. So about 4 hrs after I got there I came across the dist for powerline s an he hab this 38" cub with a 400 brushless motor,20 amp speed controller an servos installed an he was selling them for 100.
Well I had been by his table more times than I could count an finally I made him an offer of 75 for 1, well he came down to 95 an thats when I told a whopper.
I said well all I have is 75 on me an that was going to leave me broke.
He told to take out my wallet an show him.
Well he called my bluff so I pulled out my wallet an I had 95 because it cost me 5 to get in.
Well he just grinned at me when I counted out $95 in front of him. An counter offered at 85. I couldn't resist it. I bought her.
THEN after I walked away from the table with this buddy I've mine This other guy who had a 36" ART TECH Yak with a 400 geared brushless complete just add batt an fly.
Well he had come down several times to $60.
I asked my buddy ( Hey if I offer him $30 for it will you loan me the money till I get home)
He agreed So when I made the offer I told him look I gotta borrow the money to buy it.
To my suprize He sold it.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Jan 20, 2010, 09:48 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
So when I got home I checked the static thrust on the yak an she's pulling about 30 oz's an her total weight is 22 oz's
I have since put the cub together to an am hoping to post some pic's some time soon
Now I just need some good flying weather
Old Jan 20, 2010, 09:50 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Dave snowman is right preheating is everything, after than just playing with differnt combo's of smoke oil is 1/2 the fun keep us posted
Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:38 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2008
2,937 Posts
Hi Guys , Sorry to see what happened with the old thread . Its great to see the new thread doing so well for visitors so I wanted to drop in......... Say Hi.......... and post a photo of my T_ _ _ T . I know its an old photo , , , if we ever get some decent flying weather here Ill post some new ones
init4fun is offline Find More Posts by init4fun
Last edited by init4fun; Aug 15, 2011 at 11:57 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 20, 2010, 11:03 AM
Southern Ohio, USA
Joined Apr 2006
473 Posts
TooBizzy is offline Find More Posts by TooBizzy
Old Jan 20, 2010, 11:04 AM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,972 Posts
Hey Kerwin Thats a great Story LOL Good for you I say, can't wait to see the pics

Hey Init Welcome over and don't you hate how lonely some T_ _ _ Ts look in the winter time lol