HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2011, 12:27 AM
Charleston, SC
Joined Jul 2006
852 Posts
Greetings! I'm totally new to the icharger and looking for some general programming procedures for parallel balance charging using an XH paraboard.

Could anyone please refer me to specific posts or youtube videos on this subject?

Thanks!
Raehm is offline Find More Posts by Raehm
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2011, 01:21 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Search on YouTube for progressiverc as dave has a whole series of how-to videos posted there.
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Nov 10, 2011, 08:50 AM
Ignint McNugget
behind Jaggi lines
Joined Jan 2004
907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly View Post
Search on YouTube for progressiverc as dave has a whole series of how-to videos posted there.
Many of David's videos can also be found directly on the ProgressiveRC website when browsing through the parallel equipment he sells.

TJinguy also has a great website. Check the How-To: Parallel charging page.
Rumple is offline Find More Posts by Rumple
Old Nov 10, 2011, 11:21 AM
UK
Joined Jul 2008
391 Posts
As requested by Junsi, heres a video of my calibration procedure.
106b+.wmv (1 min 33 sec)
badger-b is offline Find More Posts by badger-b
Old Nov 10, 2011, 12:39 PM
Charleston, SC
Joined Jul 2006
852 Posts
First time using my iCharger106b, I know that my Lipo's do have "vastly different voltages".

So, before doing a balance charge, how does one equalize the voltage on all the batteries?
Old Nov 10, 2011, 01:01 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Quote:
"vastly different voltages".

Do you mean the batteries or the cells in each battery?

It is normal for cells to be at different voltages when discharged. The only time they need to be balanced is when charged.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Nov 10, 2011, 01:25 PM
Charleston, SC
Joined Jul 2006
852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Do you mean the batteries or the cells in each battery?

It is normal for cells to be at different voltages when discharged. The only time they need to be balanced is when charged.

Charles
I meant "cells". The cell voltages are certainly outside of the limits as suggested by TjinTech...

"Ideally the packs to be charged should all be at a similar voltage. If I had to put a number on it I would say that all cells should be within .2V for each other"
Old Nov 10, 2011, 01:41 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
So you are saying your cells are greater than 0.2V inbalance when discharged?
How low are they?
Cells should not be below 3.7 after a flight / useage.

Easy / slow way to get them balanced is to charge at a low rate such as < .3A untill the cells are balanced at which time they can be charged faster.

iChargers can be set to start balancing at different ststes of charge. I would suggest setting the Blance to Start at Storage which is 3.85 per cell in order to get these batteries balanced.

If the Balance is set to start at CV stage then no balancing takes oplace until cells are at 4.2 volts and while this works well with balanced cells it does not work so well with poorly matched cells.

Charles
Old Nov 10, 2011, 02:08 PM
Charleston, SC
Joined Jul 2006
852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
So you are saying your cells are greater than 0.2V inbalance when discharged?
How low are they?
Cells should not be below 3.7 after a flight / useage.

Easy / slow way to get them balanced is to charge at a low rate such as < .3A untill the cells are balanced at which time they can be charged faster.

iChargers can be set to start balancing at different ststes of charge. I would suggest setting the Blance to Start at Storage which is 3.85 per cell in order to get these batteries balanced.

If the Balance is set to start at CV stage then no balancing takes oplace until cells are at 4.2 volts and while this works well with balanced cells it does not work so well with poorly matched cells.

Charles

Sounds good. Thanks!
Old Nov 10, 2011, 02:55 PM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,417 Posts
I think there is some misunderstanding here. The 0.2V max difference quoted is regarding parallel charging of packs; cells in one pack should not be more than 0.2V different from the cells in the other pack when they are connected in parallel.

Fred
flarssen is offline Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Nov 10, 2011, 03:04 PM
Charleston, SC
Joined Jul 2006
852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flarssen View Post
I think there is some misunderstanding here. The 0.2V max difference quoted is regarding parallel charging of packs; cells in one pack should not be more than 0.2V different from the cells in the other pack when they are connected in parallel.

Fred
That definitely my situation. So I am going to "Storage Charge" each battery so as to get them to a fairly close voltage.

Can I "Storage Charge" multiple Lipo's in parallel?
Old Nov 10, 2011, 03:16 PM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raehm View Post
That definitely my situation. So I am going to "Storage Charge" each battery so as to get them to a fairly close voltage.

Can I "Storage Charge" multiple Lipo's in parallel?
Yes, but then you have to connect them in parallel first
As long as they are all discharged, paralleling packs is ok. Voltage will equalize pretty fast as long as all packs are below storage voltage.

Fred
flarssen is offline Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Nov 10, 2011, 04:09 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
OK big difference between cells mbatteries and charging single packs and parallel charging packs. It most often helps to supply as many details as possible.

If the batteries are similiar as in 3S approx. same capacities and approx. the same voltages as in between 11.0 volts and 11.5 volts then just connect them in parallel by their main power leads, wait 15 minutes then parallel the balancing leads then start the balanced charge or Storage charge.

If a single LiPoly has cells greater than 0.2V inbalance then use the slow charge / balance I suggested earlier.

There are many threads on parallel charging and there is really little point in trying to cover all of the whys or why nots ,do's or don'ts here.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=932319

Charles
Old Nov 10, 2011, 07:21 PM
Poland
Joined Nov 2010
462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by badger-b View Post
As requested by Junsi, heres a video of my calibration procedure.
"After starting the charger" doesn't mean "when you are charging a battery".
LeszekJ is offline Find More Posts by LeszekJ
Old Nov 10, 2011, 09:03 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
United States, CA, Westminster
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
I would think that means after you plug it into power.
TheWoodCrafter is offline Find More Posts by TheWoodCrafter