SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 23, 2007, 03:32 PM
Joined Dec 2007
3 Posts
Discussion
New to RC, question about sims/controllers

Hi,

I'm interested in RC helicopters. I'm considering purchasing an RC sim package although I have no controller or heli yet. I have tried out a freeware sim that used the keyboard and did fly a cheap micro RC heli a bit until the cat ate the tail rotor off.

I expect that the experience will be quite different using a real controller as opposed to the asdw keys??

I'd like to see if I am capable of flying a heli on the sim becore actually buying one.

Clearview, AFPD, PhoenixRC, and RealFlight look like the top simulators. RealFlight seems to come with a controller but if I could buy a less expensive controller that will work with a real heli and a different program for a similar price, then perhaps that will be the best route?

Any advice?

Thanks,

David
davidd31415 is offline Find More Posts by davidd31415
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2007, 04:23 AM
Piro-maniac
Aiken, SC
Joined Feb 2007
1,262 Posts
Here's a comparatively inexpensive suggestion.

Esky makes a kit that comes with a full-size USB transmitter and a CD with a freely available sim (FMS). You can find it on the bay and at several vendors for around 20-25 bucks. The sim isn't very realistic regarding physics, but it will help with orientation while you save for...

Clearview simulator. Probably not quite as good (but getting better all the time) as RealFlight or Phoenix, but it's only 40 dollars, and is compatible with the Esky USB transmitter.

At this point you will have spent around $60 - $65. The transmitter won't control anything except the sim, but you'll be into a "real" simulator for $100 or so less than the next cheaper alternative. $100 can buy an RTF Lama or Honey Bee FP delivered.
shizack is online now Find More Posts by shizack
Old Dec 24, 2007, 06:04 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
Its one of those catch 22 situations, should you buy a simulator that comes with its own controller or wait and get one that allows you to use your own transmitter.

As the previous poster pointed out, if you buy and of the cheap RTF helis that are coming out of the far east they tend to come with a copy of FMS and a basic cable that connects to the PC. However be careful as (by the number of post here) its often hit and miss in getting it to work. Also, most of the collective pitch version of these helis have the CCPM mixed in by the transmitter, which often can't be de-mixed without dedicated hardware or software solutions.

Personally I would invest in one of the top end sims like Phoenix, XTR, AFPD or RFG3/4 and use a mainstream transmitter that will use the standard protocol and won't cause you problems in setting up and using the sim.
Malc C is offline Find More Posts by Malc C
Old Dec 25, 2007, 02:12 AM
Joined Dec 2007
3 Posts
I like the idea of buying a simulator that will allow me to use my own transmitter. Can you suggest transmitters? I'd be looking for a low-end transmitter but definitely something nice enough that I can use with my first model when I purchase it.
davidd31415 is offline Find More Posts by davidd31415
Old Dec 25, 2007, 06:02 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
The purchase of a transmitter will be one of personal choice, especially with the advent of 2.4ghz systems. Personally I opted for a JRx3810 which was a mid-high end transmitter some 5 years ago, but I followed the golden rule of purchasing the best TX I could afford at the time, and at that time Futaba had done away with the FF8 and the 9 was way too expensive. The advantage of purchasing a TX from a mainstream manufacture such as Futaba or JR is that you can be 99% certain the trainer port will work with all the top end sims
Malc C is offline Find More Posts by Malc C
Old Dec 28, 2007, 07:22 PM
Joined Dec 2007
54 Posts
DX7 and Phoenix , best economical combo you could think of if you want to use it on any substantial heli out there. Another option is the CX2 and Phoenix. You will have to get another controller when you want a "real" heli, but not a bad way to start.
WJackson is offline Find More Posts by WJackson