HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 14, 2006, 04:17 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,967 Posts
Discussion
Useful Bits n Bobs

While tagging along shopping in a craft shop today with my wife, I found lots of beaut 'things' in the beading department (home made necklaces etc). There were lots more but I bought this bunch to play with. Most are brass, with brazed loops etc.

I'm sure they can be used in scale model somewhere

Pat
Pat Lynch is online now Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A Small Diversion From Annie
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2006, 05:08 AM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
I can definitely see a model boat in the making there...

My dad recently came in with a couple of compass sets (see pic) from one of the bargain shops, for which he paid the princely sum of 2.99. I wasn't expecting much but the compass has metal arms and is very precise, while the 2 packs of spare leads are worth the money alone, as they fit my expensive tech. pencil.

Got to keep your eyes open in this modelling game, haven't you!

Steve
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
Old Sep 14, 2006, 05:40 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,705 Posts
I always keep my eyes open in the craftshop - their Milliput is half the price of the model shop, and often paints and papers are available to make your eyes ware - the sort of holographic mylar and things like that..Likewise they do cutting mats, rules and scales and french curves and compass cutters that the LHS does not.

If your model shop does boats and trains these also come up with useful stuff.

A decent - really decent - hardware shop is a must too.

I nearly bought a whole suite of fibre washers - probably for taps or pipes - as they looked perfect for making dummy cylinders out of...

Do NOT neglect the music shop either. A fine steel guitar string nets you a decent length of nickel plated steel wire AND a nice little brass pulley on the end. I am considering such for a control and rigging wire arrangment. We used to wind very effecticve small springs from gutar strings, in te days when fine tuning a relay spring was important for RC..
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Sep 14, 2006, 10:10 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,929 Posts
Same here. The wife (Laser Master to most of us ) makes enough trips to the craft shop that I have plenty of time to think of stuff to use there. Also good for fly fishing supplies

The safety pin eyes I used for rigging points on the SPAD came from there. In the jewelry section they also have nylon coated stranded wire. From 7 to 35 strand. I put some in the wire wheel kits to see how it works.

Also, small crimp tubes and such. Model railroad stuff at Hobby Lobby stores.

Speaking of fly fishing, don't forget the sporting goods shop. Small swivels, pulleys, wire, line, etc is available there.

Too many ideas. You gotta just go slowly though the racks with an open mind

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Sep 14, 2006, 12:35 PM
Rio Rancho NM
Joined Dec 2004
1,258 Posts
Don't get me started with the fly fishing stuff. Love it, 2nd obsession. You're right about an open mind too. Did a FF Druine Turbulent and used colored rubber hackle for the LG legs that go straight up into the wing. Only the legs into the body were wire. Great for absorbing shock. There are also tiny metal and plastic tubes used for making what else ...... tube flies. Tons of uses.
bill
scrubs is offline Find More Posts by scrubs
Old Sep 14, 2006, 04:32 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,929 Posts
bill,

THANKS! I've been trying to figure out what to use for small bungee's. I got a ton of that stuff sitting in a drawer.

Oh, and there is a stretch cord in the jewelry section as well that comes in several colors. A kind of nylon. I used it for fly tying, but, now that I think of it, would make good small bungee material. Will have to test ultimate strength and return to shape.

The craft foam is what I use for all my LG leg fairings. It also takes paint well. The 6mm stuff I can cut in the laser. I have made some light weight tires with it.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Sep 14, 2006, 05:34 PM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,407 Posts
Don't forget to look at some of their wooden bead and such--great for making small engine parts etc.

Pat
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
Old Sep 15, 2006, 12:51 AM
more casual than stylish....
Joined Jan 2003
6,985 Posts
Have you guys ever checked out a gunsmithing catalog? Brownells (www.brownells.com) has all manner of odd ball stuff like springloaded detents, wire and flat spring stock, etc.
slopemeno is offline Find More Posts by slopemeno