HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 19, 2014, 02:25 PM
Joined Aug 2013
486 Posts
my 2 cents worth , anyone who has had any type of fp helo should be able to fly it .if you have never flown a helo before it will end in tears,due to demand helos were coming out with the tail blades on the wrong way around which caught out a lot of people, untill junkman did his fantastic write up . a lot of people who could fly cp got them as a relaxing fun fly and as they pushed the helo it showed up some short comings which are being worked on - not by hh but by forum members, but give hh there dues they do tend to try to help people with the problems, as someone has said they have moded the frame without putting it out anywear they may be working on the esc but untill some one gets one that is not the same as original we will not know. i only had problems with mine after 60 hrs of flight time so can not complain
sweets is offline Find More Posts by sweets
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 11:46 AM
Joined Dec 2014
11 Posts
Would you say the 200 SRX would be a good starter for someone new that has practiced on the Phoenix and can hover and fly the Nano QX? I have bounced the Nano off the wall and ceiling a few times still but I would not attempt to fly the 200 indoors except in my 2000 SF warehouse
robusmc is offline Find More Posts by robusmc
Old Yesterday, 04:45 PM
"Experimental"
United States, NY, Elbridge
Joined Feb 2013
251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robusmc View Post
Would you say the 200 SRX would be a good starter for someone new that has practiced on the Phoenix and can hover and fly the Nano QX? I have bounced the Nano off the wall and ceiling a few times still but I would not attempt to fly the 200 indoors except in my 2000 SF warehouse

Sure would. With the "assist" on max, both I and my 18yr son, Greg took to it just fine, we have flown mostly planes for the last few years. I taught him to fly in about 3 weeks this last summer, largely with an e-flite Apprentice. While the Apprentice has some long term durability issues, it is super for teaching and they say a virgin pilot can even teach himself to fly with it. I actually believe it.

We hate the winter hiatus here in New York (Near Syracuse)and went to Helicopters as we can fly them in my rural backyard. (Our club is inaccesable once it gets to the wet season).

I saw that they had a Heli with the same "SAFE" system that I could bind to my Taranis for about $200 (I got a $30 credit from Horizon - made it even more irresistable ) and I immediately broke my "never buy anything in the 1st year - let them debug it 1st" Rule.
I figured that there was a good chance that after Christmas, they would be 'out of stock' for some time, possibly until spring, so I got while the getting was good.

Well, I paid for my indiscretion. We both got to fly it - but not for long. Greg was flying it Thanksgiving and the tail rotor went berserk, crashing it under his car.
Horizon was fast and efficient in getting it fixed, but I just today got it back in the air (12/20)

I highly recommend it from a performance standpoint and it's very economical for a 'real' starter heli
(especially if you have a 'bindable' Tx), but you will be rolling the dice on the bugs.

The more serious bugs seem to be all tail rotor related, one being my senario, the other being an intermittently overheating tail motor. It's my opinion that both are caused by a bad ESC. Minor bugs include some of them being shipped with the tail rotor blade installed reversed. Another minor bug is the instructions say to set the main blades too tight, causing a tail wobble often over reacted to. Just adjust the blades so they swing freely, and all is well. Mine is incredibly stable. You can "let go" and it would almost hang there until the battery dies. Almost.

I have to add, that Horizon was fast on the warranty work, although it did cost me to ship TO them. The repaired copter (which bounced under a car at WOT for nearly a minute, only stopping because it caught fire and was pretty much junk) was actually better than new when I got it back. It was indeed the same one, the frame at least.

I'd do it again. Once they get the growing pains past, these will sell like crazy.

If you do buy one, HobbyKing has a 3s1000mah 25c Zippy compact which works great and costs $5.05. They are great batteries - I've used them for about 2 years and never had a problem. They weigh about 5 grams more, but don't effect the balance at all.

If you're competent on the Nano Qx you'll fly it like a pro. They claim that, like the Apprentice, you can teach yourself to fly a Heli without carnage. Blade says "once you are able to fly the 200srx on "expert", you'll be ready for CP" - we'll see....

Clear Skies, Scott

PS - My shop is about 2500 sq ft with 14' ceilings and I wouldn't fly it in there. Probably could, but why tempt fate? A sheet of luan plywood in your backyard is an instant helipad, and there's less to run into. The 200SRX is "next level" - NOT a 'toy' copter. If it hits, somethings going to pay. It would seriously injure a person or pet, and do some real damage to itself if crashed. Fire upon crashing is a very real possibility. Mine was seconds from completely burning when it went under the car. If I had not re-arranged the battery connection to be accessable without removing the canopy it would have burnt.
Scott594 is online now Find More Posts by Scott594
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Scott594; Today at 01:03 AM.
Old Today, 12:05 AM
United States, ID, Sandpoint
Joined Apr 2009
778 Posts
I've got a nagging list to the left. If I adjust the trim or offset the servo to the point where it helps, then she tips over to the right at take off. I would appreciate any suggestions on this that I can try.
crobar is offline Find More Posts by crobar
Old Today, 12:45 AM
"Experimental"
United States, NY, Elbridge
Joined Feb 2013
251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crobar View Post
I've got a nagging list to the left. If I adjust the trim or offset the servo to the point where it helps, then she tips over to the right at take off. I would appreciate any suggestions on this that I can try.
Make sure it's on a dead level surface when it does it's dog and pony show. That's when the gyros store the horizon and pitch references. (although I think I've witnessed it "reset" when landed - not sure about that yet)

A little left tilt is normal, has to do with the direction of rotation, the fact that the tail rotor is below the plane of the main, and leverage. Just barely noticable on mine. 3 - 4 degrees maybe.

Does it creep away on you?- or hold position if you don't trim it to try to get rid of the list?

If it holds position, but lists, that's what you get. Even full scale ones do it. On some of the newer helis, you see the tail rotor up high - that's why - if the tail rotor is inline with the main, there's no leverage to cause the tilt.

Think of it as hanging by the main, and when you push it sideways below the pivot, it will deflect. The helicopter version of a planes thrust angle correction... sort of..

Heli or fixed wing, you have to deal with the counter torque somehow, it's just a little more obvious on a copter.
You gotta love engineering!
Scott594 is online now Find More Posts by Scott594
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Scott594; Today at 01:23 AM.
Old Today, 01:14 AM
United States, ID, Sandpoint
Joined Apr 2009
778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott594 View Post
Make sure it's on a dead level surface when it does it's dog and pony show. A little left tilt is normal, has to do with the direction of rotation, the fact that the tail rotor is below the plane of the main, and leverage. Just barely noticable on mine.

Does it creep away on you - or hold position?
It creeps a little toward me but everything seems normal except the strong pull to left. I tried it in the gym on level floor and it has the same problem. Also it goes into a shudder dance with a quick throttle change. Most of this is occurring when I use the custom canopy which is much heavier than the original. I have it set at 200% power but am wondering if the heavier canopy is causing some kind of stress due to additional power required to fly with the heavier canopy.
crobar is offline Find More Posts by crobar