SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:51 PM
RockChalkJayhawk
United States, ND, Bismarck
Joined Jul 2012
40 Posts
Discussion
First Time Covering?

Long story short, I'm building a top-flite contender and I am getting to the covering stage, ive sanded the whole thing and a guy from my club helped me cover my wing. My question is how do I cover the rest? I want to add different colors on the wing and the LE is a little jagged from cutting it. How do I do that? Any advice would help, I would also appreciate it if i could get video links. I am using hangar 9 ultra cote. The Horizontal and Vertical Stabilizers are glued on, but the rudder, aieleron, elevator and flap are still disconnected.
RockChalkJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by RockChalkJayhawk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:25 AM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,548 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=711624

didnt see any vidz, but looked like alot of good info!
whiskykid is offline Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sig Mustang 450
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:19 PM
United States, NC, Indian Trail
Joined Dec 2012
33 Posts
the way I do it , and im still in the learning stage , is to have the right equipment, this includes but not limited to a heat gun. I say this because compound curves can be tackled pretty easy with a heat gun. many people say they havent had much luck with monokote, but it hasnt bothered me and thats what ive used due to the availabilty of my hobby shop.

My procedure

Start in the middle of any object your covering and work outwards, making sure that you stress the covering as much as possible to eliminate any wrinkles that you can upfront. The covering will shrink but will stop at some point, so if its not tight enough the wrinkle is permanent. not a major problem in flying but we all want our planes to look nice

Compound curves

I bought a craftsman heat gun from a pawn shop for 9 bucks and use it, but be for warned that these type of guns get much hotter than the 400 degree hairdryers they sell in hobby shops so you may want to get one of those. they will give you more error control than the 1000 heat gun, and your less likely gonna burn a hole in your covering.

my next recommendation is to watch some you tube vids to see there technique. If your a smart guy you will figure it out through this and the vids.

thx for letting me share
asusrick is offline Find More Posts by asusrick
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:07 PM
probro 2567
Midlothian,VA
Joined Jan 2006
322 Posts
Go to YouTube and type in monocote 101 or ultracote covering. Bunches of videos on how to cover.
kwj48 is offline Find More Posts by kwj48
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:15 PM
Rob H
United States, MD, Rosedale
Joined Jul 2011
118 Posts
The best advice to follow when covering is not to rush anything. If it takes you all night to cover one part, let it take all night. With practice and sharp blades, after some time you will get good at it.

Also, you are going to be your worst critic. What you think looks horrible is probably pretty good.
rph1225 is offline Find More Posts by rph1225
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:59 AM
United States, NC, Faison
Joined Jan 2011
687 Posts
Scroll down on this link http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1769612&page=4 That's my Staudacher that I buit and covered all by myself Just a little proud of my work.

Always start with the bottom of any surfface that you are covering. I did not use a heat gun of anykind on this covering job! The key is Ultracote. It has 2 diffrent tempatures that work independantly of each other. Around 250* the glu will activate and adhere without shrinking. At around 300* it will be at ultimate shrinking heat and it will pull away from eges and inside corners so be carefull of that. The beuty of 2 diffrent working temps is that you can cover the whole surface and stretch it over and pull on it and I even move it with my fingers push it around to remove wrinkles and such. After you get it where you want it turn up the heat just a tad and it will become tight as a drum. Always use a sock on the iron to prevent the covering from scratches. Now for the real good part. Because of the 2 diffrent tempatures you can cut out stripes and simply use a cool iron and work them onto the already covered surface without it bubbling up on you. If it does bubble take a new vary sharp hobby knife and prick the bubble and it will go away.

One more thing. Always trim off as much excess as possable without revealing the lap joints. This makes it super easy to go around compound curves like the tips of the wings and so on. Also cut strips about 1/4 - 3/8 inch wide and preapply thos to all the inside corners and even cover the aileron and control surface ends before you cover the main surface. You will like the outcome alot better.

As it was stated above, TAKE YOUR TIME AND DO NOT RUSH IT!
rjstrickjr is offline Find More Posts by rjstrickjr
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:41 AM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,497 Posts
Sharp blades... all coverings eat blades. Dull blades could be the reason for your jagged edge. On compound curves, I prefer excess covering so I can heat and pull and go all the way around with no wrinkles or bunching up.
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin