HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:27 AM
Registered User
LesUyeda's Avatar
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,600 Posts
"I'll keep thinking about the covering, haven't decided yet but believe that plastic film isn't an option!"

Silk and dope, obviously:-)))))))))))))))

Actually, I like Solartex. A bit heavy, and scale "coarse", but it does the job well, and looks great.

Les
LesUyeda is offline Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:41 AM
ARFs Are Me
TomCrump's Avatar
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,888 Posts
I'm a Solartex guy, too.

You get a "scale" texture, and it's a lot less work than other fabric type products.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:48 AM
I HATE GLOW PLUGS!
SrTelemaster's Avatar
United States, NY, St Lawrence
Joined Feb 2012
1,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
I'm a Solartex guy, too.

You get a "scale" texture, and it's a lot less work than other fabric type products.
I was thinking of using Cub Yellow Solartex W/the red "Hazel Sig" color scheme painted on.

What would be a good paint for that. Aso Solartex seems to stain easily so would a light coat of the same Cub Yellow be helpful to seal the surface.

Bear in mind that I will be running on methanol.
SrTelemaster is offline Find More Posts by SrTelemaster
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:57 AM
ARFs Are Me
TomCrump's Avatar
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,888 Posts
I prefer to use Natural Solartex, and paint the entire airframe. This eliminates the need for color matching the paint, and seals the entire model.

Rustoleum seems to hold up with methanol.

In this pic, both models were painted with it. The Cub is glow powered. The Cessna was sprayed with a gun. The Cub, from spray bombs.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:09 PM
I HATE GLOW PLUGS!
SrTelemaster's Avatar
United States, NY, St Lawrence
Joined Feb 2012
1,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
I prefer to use Natural Solartex, and paint the entire airframe. This eliminates the need for color matching the paint, and seals the entire model.

Rustoleum seems to hold up with methanol.

In this pic, both models were painted with it. The Cub is glow powered. The Cessna was sprayed with a gun. The Cub, from spray bombs.
Well I thought I would start out W/Cub Yellow as a base so it wouldn't take heavy coats to achieve an even color.

Does Solartex bubble & wrinkle in the sun like 21st Century fabric?

BTW: what year/model Cessna is that in the picture?

Oh wait, the Bird Dog is the Cessna, what the heck is that yellow/green bird?
SrTelemaster is offline Find More Posts by SrTelemaster
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:21 PM
ARFs Are Me
TomCrump's Avatar
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,888 Posts
The Natural seems to take paint better than the colored Solartex. I've done it both ways, however. Both ways work.

I haven't had trouble with either covering. Solartex is easier to apply.

On any covering, I let the model spend time in the sun, and re-shrink as may prove necessary.. I do this several times, until the covering becomes stable. Only then, do I appkly paint.

If I'm covering during the Winter, and it isn't possible to place the model in sunlight, I go over the covering several times with a heat gun, letting it cool between sessions.

The Cessna is modeled after a 1941 Cessna Airmaster.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:38 PM
I HATE GLOW PLUGS!
SrTelemaster's Avatar
United States, NY, St Lawrence
Joined Feb 2012
1,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
The Natural seems to take paint better than the colored Solartex. I've done it both ways, however. Both ways work.

I haven't had trouble with either covering. Solartex is easier to apply.

On any covering, I let the model spend time in the sun, and re-shrink as may prove necessary.. I do this several times, until the covering becomes stable. Only then, do I appkly paint.

If I'm covering during the Winter, and it isn't possible to place the model in sunlight, I go over the covering several times with a heat gun, letting it cool between sessions.

The Cessna is modeled after a 1941 Cessna Airmaster.
Very helpful Tom. I think I will stick to the original plan & start W/yellow. I'll be recovering a Wolds Models 84" J-3 ARF before the SW so I'll be able to get a good grip on what is involved.

If the yellow W a light topcoat works on the Cub, I'll have leftover covering & a better idea of the product when I start the SW.

I had originally decided to use (scale) Stitts fabric. I may still go that route, but it seems to take a lot more steps.

I really like models of obscure aircraft. I'll bet that Cessna gets a LOT of questions @ the flying field.
SrTelemaster is offline Find More Posts by SrTelemaster
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:39 PM
UAS Pilot/Tech Instructor
CryHavoc's Avatar
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2000
1,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
I prefer to use Natural Solartex, and paint the entire airframe. This eliminates the need for color matching the paint, and seals the entire model.

Rustoleum seems to hold up with methanol.

In this pic, both models were painted with it. The Cub is glow powered. The Cessna was sprayed with a gun. The Cub, from spray bombs.
Hey Tom,

Is that your Cub? If so I musta missed your build on it and would like to hear more about it, see pics. In any case, I love the Marine Corps markings and hope to do one similar one day.

Mike
CryHavoc is offline Find More Posts by CryHavoc
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:17 PM
ARFs Are Me
TomCrump's Avatar
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,888 Posts
No Mike. The Cub is from a BUSA L-4 kit. My friend Terry White built it. All I did was paint it.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:49 AM
Registered User
Sweden, Dalarna County, Aspeboda
Joined Dec 2005
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
krokko

You're doing a great job !

Look back in this thread, to where I joined the front fuselage to the rear. I layed 1/32" ply over the joint, to help bond the halves together.

This really strengthens the area. You may want to take a lok, and see if you are interested in doing something similar.
Tom,

I can see that you are using one servo for the elevator, since you been flying the SW, is it enough or should I consider two servos, one for each elevator? Also, I think I will copy your switch installation!

/krokko
krokko is offline Find More Posts by krokko
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:11 AM
ARFs Are Me
TomCrump's Avatar
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,888 Posts
Actually, I'm embarrassed to tell you that I haven't flown my SW.

I have no doubt, however, that a single Hitec 645 will be more than adequate for any of the control surfaces.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:26 AM
Registered User
Sweden, Dalarna County, Aspeboda
Joined Dec 2005
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
Actually, I'm embarrassed to tell you that I haven't flown my SW.

I have no doubt, however, that a single Hitec 645 will be more than adequate for any of the control surfaces.
Thanks, Ill stay with the original design then!

/krokko
krokko is offline Find More Posts by krokko
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:27 PM
UAS Pilot/Tech Instructor
CryHavoc's Avatar
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2000
1,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
Actually, I'm embarrassed to tell you that I haven't flown my SW.
And from the looks of the weather map, you wont get a chance to any time soon. At least not without electric heated skivvies and snow skis.

Mike
CryHavoc is offline Find More Posts by CryHavoc
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:29 PM
Registered User
Sweden, Dalarna County, Aspeboda
Joined Dec 2005
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CryHavoc View Post
And from the looks of the weather map, you wont get a chance to any time soon. At least not without electric heated skivvies and snow skis.

Mike
same her, -20C today, ice on the lakes but very little snow. Waiting for March-April, then we might be able to do some flying!

/krokko
krokko is offline Find More Posts by krokko
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:38 PM
UAS Pilot/Tech Instructor
CryHavoc's Avatar
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2000
1,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krokko View Post
same her, -20C today, ice on the lakes but very little snow. Waiting for March-April, then we might be able to do some flying!

/krokko
From a guy that grew up in the Arizona deserts I can only say.... buuurrrrrrr. Normally here in San Diego I can say I don't worry about such things. Its in the 60-70F range but raining cats and dogs so no flying here either.

Mike
CryHavoc is offline Find More Posts by CryHavoc
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale Sig 1/3 Scale Spacewalker $400.00 local pick up only be69ar Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Dec 21, 2008 06:14 PM
For Sale Sig 1/3-scale Spacewalker KIT for sale Bruce DeVisser Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Aug 08, 2006 11:51 PM
Sold Sig 1/3-Scale Spacewalker w/G-38 ~ Just add Radio! N925WB Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Apr 15, 2006 08:31 PM
For Sale 1/3 scale Sig spacewalker whov Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Mar 22, 2006 05:41 PM
Sold Swap Meet Sale!!! Sig 1/3-Scale Spacewalker w/G-38 N925WB Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Feb 18, 2006 04:09 PM