HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 13, 2010, 09:27 PM
Just having fun before I die!
DeKalb,IL
Joined Dec 2008
944 Posts
I did a ROG take off our field has nice short grass so takeoffs are easy. I've been struggling upload my video but here is a you tube link for it hope it work
BadLemon is offline Find More Posts by BadLemon
Last edited by BadLemon; Jul 03, 2011 at 10:58 PM. Reason: didn't work
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2010, 10:07 PM
Not enough hours in the day
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,429 Posts
That link is a generic link that works only for your own videos.
Do you have an ID number for the video? Or some keywords so I can do a search for it?
Slaanesh is offline Find More Posts by Slaanesh
Old Jul 14, 2010, 12:23 PM
DeKalb,IL
Joined Dec 2008
944 Posts
Sorry this should work now I haven't posted a video on this forum before.

ta183f2.wmv (5 min 51 sec)
Old Jul 14, 2010, 01:31 PM
USA
Joined Feb 2002
1,256 Posts
WOW! Thats extremely cool and amazing! My old huck wouldda never done that kind of take off. Cuts a menacing shadow in the sky! Great video.
topforce is offline Find More Posts by topforce
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:16 PM
DeKalb,IL
Joined Dec 2008
944 Posts
Thanks for that! I need to work on the landing. To tell you the truth I was surprised the motor/fan setup allowed me to ROG. The motor is a E-Flite 4100K inrunner, 20 amp ESC and a 5-blade fan. But I did a static test and the setup produced about 16oz of thrust. The Hucks total weight was 18oz. Also I want to get some better video but my buddy only has one of the key chain cams. Beleive it or not that is what he used to take the video. I am making a mount to hang the cam from under the wing of the huck. some inflight video will be too cool! More to come!
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:50 PM
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,429 Posts
Great Thanks for the video. Very interesting.

I guess you have no inclination to try hand-launching it?

I couldn't see the approach but you landed the Ta-183 almost right next to you! I've seen other videos of the Ta-183 doing that little bounce and skid on landing.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 09:55 AM
DeKalb,IL
Joined Dec 2008
944 Posts
Both of my landing I did bounce it but landing right next to me was pure luck I was frighting a crosswind. I got to work on bleeding off more airspeed so I can flair just before touchdown. I think this will stop the huck from bouncing on landing. I am going to hand launch the Huck in the future but first I want to get a little more use the flight characteristics first. I also have a Alfa F-86 that I hand launch all the time and never had with takeoff. To launch the F-86 I give her a firm slight to the ground toss but the Sabre picks up air speed very fast with the LiL screamer motor I have in it. Or I should say she did until the motor went out. On the last take off I notice a few sparks coming from the exhaust so I quickly landed the sabre. At first I could not see anything but after taking the motor apart I found that a wire pushed up between the stator and the magnets where grinding away at the wire, not good! The sabre has not been in the air in about a year because of that. I found out that Hobby Lobby discontinued the lil, screamer line because of failures like this. I have been looking for a good replacement motor for it and I did order one of HL ERc motors about a month ago but they still have it back ordered. I have seen replacement motors for as low a $13.00 dollars but I'm afraid they are cheap knockoffs and you know the old saying "You get what you pay for" so I have not purchased one. I may just buy another E-flite 4100k since it seems to work well in the Huck.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:46 PM
USA
Joined Feb 2002
1,256 Posts
Interesting that you mention numbers for the eflight 400. I am doing up an Alfa mig21, and trying for a real lightweight setup. I had considered a 4200kv inrunner like eflight or himax. What I have instead is a 4400kv motor with 24mm diameter. Should be just a little hotter than the 4200kv eflight.

As for cheap outrunner motors,, the hobbyking edf outrunners are very nice. Good quality, and put out rpms that are reasonable for the amp draw.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 01:36 PM
DeKalb,IL
Joined Dec 2008
944 Posts
Topforce

I just checked my e-flite motor and I do have the 4200K motor. Also I just received HobbyLobbys new ERc 4500K motors in today that I ordered a few weeks ago. So I went to install one of them in my Alfa F-86 and noticed something with the new motor. There is not a Retaining clip on the fan side of the shaft. I gave them a call and in short they don't know if there should be a clip on them or not so I have to call them back tomorrow for an update. See pic's below
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:28 PM
USA
Joined Feb 2002
1,256 Posts
I have the same 4500kv motor. I ordered it when I ordered the mig21. It was on back order.

As far as I can tell, it does not need or include a front retaining clip. I was just going to use mine like that no worries. However,,, its intended use,, the mig, has a motor more suited,, so the Erc motor will join the fun in my junk box.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 06:08 PM
DeKalb,IL
Joined Dec 2008
944 Posts
I really like the Mig-21 I think I'm going to pick one up soon. I have been able to see a real one fly. An airline pilot owns a 2-seater and fly's around our area with it. One day we got to watch him practice landing in my backyard. I talked to him once at a local event he had his Mig on display. He told me he is just under 200MPH when he touches down. I have some pictures of the Mig I'll post them for you to see.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 08:45 AM
DeKalb,IL
Joined Dec 2008
944 Posts
This is a copy of an article of the Mig21 when the owner moved it to DeKalb, IL airport. This plane is awesome to see in the air!
Old Jul 17, 2010, 10:31 AM
Germany, BY, Ingolstadt
Joined Aug 2003
189 Posts
A close look at that article reveals that somebody, presumably Benjii Felheim of the Daily Chronicle, has less than the required minimum knowledge of aviation history...

Anyone who describes a, "British Royal Air Force Spitfire" as a World War II jet really shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a keyboard.
terryk is online now Find More Posts by terryk
Old Jul 20, 2010, 08:13 PM
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryk View Post
Anyone who describes a, "British Royal Air Force Spitfire" as a World War II jet really shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a keyboard.
That's really poor research! *shakes head*

Anyone else been flying their Ta-183 lately?
Old Jul 21, 2010, 04:49 PM
DeKalb,IL
Joined Dec 2008
944 Posts
I was able to get 2 flights in last Saturday but by the second flight the wind started blowing over 14mph across the field. this made my landing very nerve racking but I did get the Huck down in one piece. So far this year our summer has had high heat, humidity and wind not much flying at all. I did try to fly the Huck yesterday at our clubs field meeting but the cloud cover almost made me crash my Alfa Tempest so there was no way I was going to fly the Huck. We have a fun fly this coming Sunday but the weather outlook is show high temps so we are going to try something new. We are going to fly later in the day at 5PM and see if that gives us better flying conditions. I picked up a new video camera so I hope to have some better videos this time. I also I almost have the mount for an on board recorder so hopefully I'll have some inflight video.