SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 27, 2010, 01:23 PM
Steinbach, MB, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
396 Posts
Discussion
How to cut 1 mm and 2 mm Depron?

Please make your suggestions. I have both 1 mm and 2 mm Depron coming, should be here early next week, and I wanted to construct a Chris3D Pitts using these two thicknesses, but should I just be using a new/sharp hobby knife to cut the Depron?....I have seen some threads that guys have recommended gluing the paper pattern onto the foam and then cutting one or both together using a hobby knife (maybe they were referring to thicker foam)....is this the best, or would it tear 1 mm Depron?

Suggestions guys....

Sackie
Sackie is offline Find More Posts by Sackie
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2010, 01:28 PM
SlingWinger
San Bernardino, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
1,691 Posts
Just make sure your knife is very sharp, or you'll get gouging/ rough cuts.

I use the "snap-off" style knives from the dollar store. I also bought a good sharpener from a hardware store, it was $6 but it's paid for itself, I highly recommend getting a good sharpener.
dayhead is offline Find More Posts by dayhead
Old Feb 27, 2010, 01:55 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,956 Posts
Beter than a hobby knife,#3 handel & #11 blades
TODD
http://www.indigo.com/tools/gphtools...el-blades.html
I R Irv is offline Find More Posts by I R Irv
Old Feb 27, 2010, 04:11 PM
Joined Jan 2005
1,286 Posts
Try one of those small ceramic kitchen knifes with something like a 3" blade. Works wonders and stays sharp.

Jochen
JochenK is offline Find More Posts by JochenK
Old Feb 27, 2010, 08:12 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
#11 blades are the way to go. Use a brand new one. Cut slow, cut straight. If you cut too fast the depron will tear. Some recommend multiple shallow passes. Sometimes I cut in one pass, sometimes multiple passes. Take your time, rushing just leads to mistakes.

Bud
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Old Feb 27, 2010, 08:22 PM
Steinbach, MB, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
396 Posts
Thanks for suggestions guys, I have a fair amount of NEW #11 blades, so i think i will try with that and I will use Bud's suggestion of multiple cuts, especially on the 1 mm.

Hey Bud, how do you get the pattern to stay on the Depron while you are cutting and then be able to remove the paper pattern after?...what do you use as a glue for this part?...

Sackie
Sackie is offline Find More Posts by Sackie
Old Feb 27, 2010, 08:31 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackie View Post
Thanks for suggestions guys, I have a fair amount of NEW #11 blades, so i think i will try with that and I will use Bud's suggestion of multiple cuts, especially on the 1 mm.

Hey Bud, how do you get the pattern to stay on the Depron while you are cutting and then be able to remove the paper pattern after?...what do you use as a glue for this part?...

Sackie
I haven't tried this method yet; there was an article in Model Aviation magazine on the Zactly F3P profile plane, by Michael Ramsey. He outlined a method in which he simply punched holes near the middle of the pattern, then taped them down. That way, no T-pins to get in the way of your knife...and you can reuse the pattern. No glue!

Sure sounds like a good idea to me!

Bud
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Old Feb 27, 2010, 08:34 PM
Beware the Axis of Weasel.
Plymouth, Devon
Joined May 2007
2,475 Posts
I've found if you try to cut paper and depron at the same time the foam can crush around the edges so I cut the paper patterns first, then give them a light coat of repositionable spray mount and stick them to the foam. The paper pattern also helps to keep the knife on the right line. I use a snap tip knife as well and break the tip off evey metre or so of cutting. If you've not used depron before you'll find it has a grain, it bends smoothly in one direction and will crease in the other. Just give a sheet a bit of a flex and you'll find the grain.

Good luck with your Pitts and feel free to ask about any problems, I've built quite a few of that plane.
thewildweasel is offline Find More Posts by thewildweasel
Old Feb 27, 2010, 09:13 PM
Founder of the EDF20 club!
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2008
3,261 Posts
Sharp #11 blades will work nicely but I prefer to use snap knifes. When they get dull, snap off the dull piece and a new blade is born. Saves money and they are usually very sharp.
all4smallrc is offline Find More Posts by all4smallrc
Old Feb 28, 2010, 12:09 AM
West of California Speedway, East of LaLa, North of Disneyland
Joined May 2001
2,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackie View Post
how do you get the pattern to stay on the Depron while you are cutting and then be able to remove the paper pattern after?...what do you use as a glue for this part?...Sackie
Go to a craft store, like Michael's and get a can of 3M Spray Mount. It is a repositionable adhesive. Spray a light coat on the back of your pattern/templat and press in place. Cut the outline and then just peel the pattern away. Simple, effective and cheap!!
356Jim is offline Find More Posts by 356Jim
Old Feb 28, 2010, 12:16 AM
Like a Boss
Canada, BC, Whistler
Joined Jun 2006
2,130 Posts
When i built my roll up style planes, i used a simple glue stick to glue the patern down on the thin foam(durobatics foam in my case)... then cut it out, then run it under luke warm water to dissolve the glue and remove the paper template, wash of the rest of the glue carefully by hand (avoid sudden movements as you might crease the part).

For something even sharper than a #11 blade take apart your everyday shaving blades.. shick is my favorite so far.
Heliman420 is offline Find More Posts by Heliman420
Old Feb 28, 2010, 01:33 AM
Mc-Fly
Melbourne-Australia
Joined Mar 2008
1,110 Posts
I do the same as Heliman but instead of Glue Stick i use some strategically rolled lengths from a UHU Glue Roller to attach the plans to the Depron sheet. The glue simply stays on the plan sheet when you pull it off the depron.

Veteran is offline Find More Posts by Veteran
Old Feb 28, 2010, 09:16 AM
Founder of the EDF20 club!
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2008
3,261 Posts
Where do you buy those Veteran? I've never seen them before.
all4smallrc is offline Find More Posts by all4smallrc
Old Feb 28, 2010, 09:33 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
8,031 Posts
Another thing I've found is that the surface under the foam is almost as important as a sharp blade. I use one of the cutting mats found at sewing supply stores.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Feb 28, 2010, 09:55 AM
Plane in shop...vac.
Joined Dec 2007
66 Posts
Sharpest blade I've found is a carpet knife. Find the cheap disposable ones at home depot. Both sides are razor sharp. Only problem is they are not pointed.
Drewed is offline Find More Posts by Drewed