HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 15, 2009, 10:12 PM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
Help!
GP Slinger...brushless

Phew...finally got around to grabbing one of these (GP Slinger).
Already have a an old and I'm talking real old, FMA Razor and a mega powered
Unicorn. The old razor has about 2000 flights and it looks it!! For real speed thrills, the unicorn does the job. The razor is just good old canned motor 400 powered w/8 cell nmh's. So, I would like to have something in between. This is where the Slinger will fit. I wanna run a brushless but the suggested kontronic motor and esc is way way way overpriced. And, blowing about 90 beans on another mega not gonna fit the bill either. So, any suggestions on
a half decent performing brushless motor that doesn't need a 2nd mortgage on the house? And, where can I find one? I plan on running 3S 2100 lipos in it.

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2009, 11:59 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
United States, NE, Doniphan
Joined Feb 2005
7,856 Posts
Go with the HET or ARC motors. The HET 4W should do just fine on a 3S with a 6x4 prop. Im not sure which ARC motor to use, but 2000-2400kv should do the trick.

The slinger cant handle too much speed, so dont go much over about 65mph with it unless you beef it up a bit. Otherwise, nice flyin plane! I taught myself to fly on one... well, two acctually!

laine.
lmopar69 is offline Find More Posts by lmopar69
Old May 16, 2009, 12:24 PM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
Thanx for the info. Found a het 4w from jet something or other. $50 and free ship. Motor is rated at roughly 350 watts max give or take. Should work out fine for the slinger since weight of the wing would be around 26 ounces.
Plus I have about 5 lipos that can fit the bill for batts. I like to get around 150 watts per pound on aircraft. I do have a few models like seagull's 300 extra and a gp yak that run around 215 watts a pound. They fly really well at even 1/3 throttle. Hardly ever go to full throttle on anything except a couple of planes I still use nimh's in.

Dave...
Old May 16, 2009, 01:22 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,856 Posts
$50 is the typical price on the 4W, I usually get them from www.warbirds-rc.com. Can you post a link to where you got yours from?

The 4W even on 3S with a 6x4 should get that Slinger scooting along really well. If I remember right, the amp draw will be under 25 amps with that setup. Its been awhile since I flew a Zagi on that power system. I do know it had plenty of power and was fun to fly.

Laine.
Old May 18, 2009, 07:25 AM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
Sure...

www.turbofanelectrics.com

They look to have a nice selection ducted fan jets and they have some prop planes as well. And, brushless motors, connectors etc.
I tried locally in 3 hobby shops to get a slinger and, a replacement fuze and fins for my toasted up stryker. Two shops didn't have diddle squat and the other shop, the owners were at Joe Nall and won't be back until this week. So, went to graves rc online and ordered a slinger and went to horizon hobby to order all the stryker parts. All this stuff should be here this week. Looking forward to the slinger with this brushless. Me thinks I will have to shore up some of the seams and weaker areas of the slinger to accommodate the het motor.

Dave...
Old May 18, 2009, 10:39 AM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,856 Posts
It would be a good idea to strengthen it up a bit.

Looking forward to hearing what you think of that motor on there. IMO its a great "all around" motor. On 3S it flys nice mid speed stuff. On 4S it gets pretty peppy with a 5x5 prop.

Laine.
Old May 19, 2009, 07:21 AM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
Laine, that gives me an idea. I have a good old multiplex twin-jet w/2 480 canned motors in the back. Its the hardest plane to launch because the motors don't have the pop at first. You gotta really heave it and let the plane sink before you feed in a little up elevon. Once this plane is on step, it really zooms. Bad part is you use 8 cell 1800 or 2100 nimh's which comes out to roughly 10 ounces.
Anyways, was thinking brushless for this plane. Two hets or two megas would make this thing sing. Maybe use 4S 3200's. Actually, the twin jet is the most difficult aircraft in my arsenal. Even harder than my Unicorn and harder than all of my glow aircraft. Although it doesn't come close to flying my heli...of which I am a rank beginner.

Dave...
Old May 19, 2009, 10:14 AM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,856 Posts
I had a Multiplex Twister EDF that was the same way, full throttle, throw it, and let it sink a bit till its on step. After that it flew great though.

The twin jet is a fun one. I had one a couple years ago. Great flying plane. If you go with twin HET 4W motors on 4S, your TJ will need to be much stronger! The extra speed and weight will snap that sucker.

Im not saying dont do it, because I sure would! I would go two 3W's with 5" props on 3S or two 4W's on 4S and 5.5x4.5 APC props. Either way, its gonna be fun!

You may think about getting the Multiplex Fun Jet. Single motor, a little less drag, a bit lighter and still a bunch of fun to fly. I had one in Afghanistan and had a ball with it.

Laine.
Old May 20, 2009, 10:32 AM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
Was looking at those (fun jets). I used to have the old multiplex jet (forget what it was called then). Plain old 400 motor. Bought it on ebay for 20 bux.
Guy who had it said it was too wobbly. He had the cg back too far. After I adjusted the cg, it flew perfect. It was the plane I learned how to do aileron rolls with.
Sadly, it got toasted in a tree after I came out of a double roll. It was the plane that had one big fin in the back. Gonna say it was popular about 7 years ago.
Got my slinger in yesterday. Getting to work on it soon as the het motor comes in. Painting my stryker now, sapphire metalic blue and competition orange. Gonna take these two new ones and a couple of glow planes to field on saturday. As long as I can grab a new 12v field battery. Old one won't turn a nose cone/prop over even on a .46 engine. Of course, the battery is 8 years old...LOL!!!

Dave...
Old May 21, 2009, 11:54 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,643 Posts
I just upgraded my old Slinger with a HobbyCity Turnigy 28-35 2700 kv and 25 amp Turnigy Plush ESC. Using a 5.5x4.5 prop. Draws 25 amps full throttle. Both the ESC and motor get warm but not hot.

Seems to be giving me about 70-75 mph speed.

I did have to put some flat carbon across the back of the wing. On the first flight I got a little "zagi flap" and slowed it down in time before it did damage. After I put the carbon on - it's all good now. No more flapping...

The cool part is it only cost about $45 bucks to upgrade this plane. (motor, ESC, and two new HTX-900 servos).
cjbucher is offline Find More Posts by cjbucher
Old May 21, 2009, 12:36 PM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
Thanx for the info on strengthening up the wings on the slinger. I think I have some flat carbon strips laying around.
Going down to the PO now. If motor is in, I will start construction and look around for the carbon.
I know on my Unicorn I made two slits in the foam and inserted carbon strips.

Dave...