SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 23, 2003, 06:23 AM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
2,587 Posts
KAN 950 question

Greeting all.

Just received a package of KAN 950 cells from Edogfight and wanted to say their service was wonderful. Ordered them on Thursday the 20th and received them on Saturday the 22. Whats not to like. Would also like to pass on some kudos to the US Postal Service for geting them to me (from CA to VA) in such a short time.

I am going to use these new cells to replace some old 500AR packs that have seen better days. From what I have read on the Zone it appears that they can be used in a cell for cell replacement (do not have to add a cell as with other types of NiMh cells) to make up the new packs.

What I need to know is what you guys are using for a charge rate. I will be using my Astro 112D to charge them and was curious what had been found to be the optimum rate.

Also, I am assuming that the packs will become stronger after a few charge/discharge cycles.

Thanks for all the help.

Brian Allen

Veni Vedi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Brian Allen is offline Find More Posts by Brian Allen
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2003, 09:15 AM
AMA 697691
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
8,406 Posts
Hi Brian,

Althought I am not certain of your definition of "optimum", you are always safe with a 1C charge rate (1 amp). This rate would be optimum for cell longevity and it is the rate that I use.

My guess is that a 2C to 3C rate is also fine to reduce charge time but it may also reduce the lifetime of your cells.

I typically charge NiMH packs at 1C for an easy conversion in my head which helps during the normal distractions of any flying event.

Good luck!
Greg Covey is offline Find More Posts by Greg Covey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Greg's Web Hangar
Old Mar 23, 2003, 09:25 AM
Electric Addict
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2002
3,188 Posts
I have been charging mine at 1.5A and have not had an issue... They dont really seem to get very warm at this rate.

Actually I think most NiMh cells actually prefer to be slightly warm when used for best performance...
downeym is offline Find More Posts by downeym
Old Mar 24, 2003, 12:43 AM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,940 Posts
I have two KAN 950 packs that arrived from Mountain Models yesterday. I cycled them three times on my SuperNova and unlike the HECell 1100s they didn't seem to get better after they were cycled a couple of times.

I only got to fly one of them today, but it definitely had more punch than the HECell 1100 pack I also flew. The HECell pack gave me about 30 seconds more duration.

Plane is Mountain Models MiniFlash with the stock EPS-300C-D and 12X6 prop drive system.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC