New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 15, 2014, 07:28 AM
Find More Posts by qtman
Joined Feb 2014
3 Posts
Question
Beginners questions on FPV range

I recently bought the Fatshark combo kit that comes with Predator Goggles, a CMOS camera and a 5.8Ghz 250mw ImmersionRC transmitter. I use the standard antennae that came with the kit.

I can get 150-200m FPV range with this setup.

I'd like to slowly build my range up to approx. 1km, and wanted to ask what is the best kit increment I can get at this point, to get up to 400m+.

Should I be looking at better antennae? Or a 600mw TX?

Or should I be getting more range out of my current kit?
qtman is offline Find More Posts by qtman
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2014, 07:38 AM
Find More Posts by bauerbach
Joined Oct 2012
2,164 Posts
stock antennas can be pretty terrible... though Id expect more than 200M from it. Are you testing this on the ground or in the air? any obstructions between you and the aircraft?

Better antennas like a set of cloverleafs would help in either case, 250mw should easily get you 1km, maybe 2km or more.
bauerbach is offline Find More Posts by bauerbach
Old Feb 15, 2014, 10:55 AM
Find More Posts by qtman
Joined Feb 2014
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauerbach View Post
stock antennas can be pretty terrible... though Id expect more than 200M from it. Are you testing this on the ground or in the air? any obstructions between you and the aircraft?

Better antennas like a set of cloverleafs would help in either case, 250mw should easily get you 1km, maybe 2km or more.
I'm testing in the air, with line of sight, on a quadcopter.

I'm pretty confused by all of this.

Posters on other threads are saying that they get 600-700m from a 600mw tx, and you're saying I should be 1km from a 250mw?
Old Feb 15, 2014, 12:31 PM
Find More Posts by georgez
C'mon Man!
United States, TX, Denton
Joined Jul 2012
292 Posts
I agree with bauerbach, you should easily achieve over 1km with a set of cloverleaf antennas on your current setup. Don't buy cheap Chinese non-brand cloverleaf antennas.
georgez is offline Find More Posts by georgez
Old Feb 16, 2014, 02:47 PM
Find More Posts by qtman
Joined Feb 2014
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgez View Post
I agree with bauerbach, you should easily achieve over 1km with a set of cloverleaf antennas on your current setup. Don't buy cheap Chinese non-brand cloverleaf antennas.
Thanks for the replies.

How much should I be spending on antennae to get decent quality?

HobbyKing has ImmersionRC Spironet antennae for $39.99
Old Feb 16, 2014, 02:57 PM
Find More Posts by Mike Freas
KK4NOP
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Aug 2005
3,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtman View Post
Thanks for the replies.

How much should I be spending on antennae to get decent quality?

HobbyKing has ImmersionRC Spironet antennae for $39.99
Depends on where you live. Here in the states RMRC is a great place to get good stuff from.

Remember, buy cheap=buy twice.
Mike Freas is online now Find More Posts by Mike Freas
Old Feb 16, 2014, 04:57 PM
Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,927 Posts
I'm getting easily up to 2klm's on my CircularWireless Skew Plannar Wheels on both Vtx and Vrx. Some will say you need to use a Skew Plannar Wheel on the Vrx and a Cloverleaf on the Vtx but CircularWireless have studies that prove the two SPW are a better combination and you can see their proofs on their website which can be found here mate.
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Feb 16, 2014, 05:43 PM
Find More Posts by mons2b
Joined Jul 2007
371 Posts
I get 1.5 KM approx over trees with my cheap chinese cloverleafs. I am on a tight budget so im always trying cheap options and most often they work well. Same with the whole branded vs no name servo argument. Buy what you can afford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgez View Post
mons2b is offline Find More Posts by mons2b
Old Feb 16, 2014, 07:09 PM
Find More Posts by bauerbach
Joined Oct 2012
2,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtman View Post
I'm testing in the air, with line of sight, on a quadcopter.

I'm pretty confused by all of this.

Posters on other threads are saying that they get 600-700m from a 600mw tx, and you're saying I should be 1km from a 250mw?
individuals have individual problems.

I think the 200mw record is like 19km... I didnt ever read the thread, only saw the quote lol. Im sure he was running a very directional rx antenna.

All the same, my point is that there are many factors to distance, but 250mw should get 1km, even on omnis. 600mw could go for 5+km easily.

Im ignoring a slew of contributing factors of course.
bauerbach is offline Find More Posts by bauerbach
Old Feb 16, 2014, 07:26 PM
Find More Posts by mons2b
Joined Jul 2007
371 Posts
Ideal for 5.8 is a wide open field with very few or no trees. Then you should be able to fly a long way (a few km) even with cheap circular antennas on 200mw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauerbach View Post
individuals have individual problems.

I think the 200mw record is like 19km... I didnt ever read the thread, only saw the quote lol. Im sure he was running a very directional rx antenna.

All the same, my point is that there are many factors to distance, but 250mw should get 1km, even on omnis. 600mw could go for 5+km easily.

Im ignoring a slew of contributing factors of course.
mons2b is offline Find More Posts by mons2b
Old Feb 18, 2014, 01:33 AM
Find More Posts by Rtones
Pilot In Command
United States, CO, Westminster
Joined Jan 2014
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsherman View Post
I'm getting easily up to 2klm's on my CircularWireless Skew Plannar Wheels on both Vtx and Vrx. Some will say you need to use a Skew Plannar Wheel on the Vrx and a Cloverleaf on the Vtx but CircularWireless have studies that prove the two SPW are a better combination and you can see their proofs on their website which can be found here mate.
+1 Same here... CircularWireless is the way to go. Get a pair here.
Rtones is offline Find More Posts by Rtones
Old Jan 14, 2016, 04:18 PM
Find More Posts by trojanGoat
I like Ice Cream
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Nov 2015
91 Posts
200 meter range for me

Wow 19km? !? I'm only getting about 100 - 200 meters max. Does it make a difference if you're in the city? I also found that I was getting better results on certain frequencies.
trojanGoat is offline Find More Posts by trojanGoat
Old Jan 14, 2016, 07:32 PM
Find More Posts by raptor357
United States, MI
Joined Jan 2013
988 Posts
80 bucks for the pair! I thought my blue beams ultra at 65 was high
raptor357 is offline Find More Posts by raptor357
Old Jan 15, 2016, 09:38 AM
Find More Posts by parajared
no guts no glory
United States, AZ, Prescott
Joined Oct 2013
1,261 Posts
Maxmyrange.com has a pretty nifty range calculator. I think it gives estimates more-or-less on par with real life figures.

You have a few options
1) cheap out and roll the dice on a few Chinese antennas. Some of them are ok. You may get frustrated buying stuff that doesn't work
2) buy some antennas from IBcrazy or True RC. They just plain work the first time but they also cost a bit
3) beef up your antenna knowledge and make your own. Learn about impedance matching and pole spacing. The materials themselves aren't that expensive and linear polarized antennas are actually pretty easy to make. CP antennas are a bit of a PITA in my opinion.
parajared is offline Find More Posts by parajared
Old Jan 18, 2016, 02:52 PM
Find More Posts by Beachcomber
Savannah, Ga, USA
Joined Feb 2009
582 Posts
I've also discovered that some video transmitter don't put out rated mW on all channels, if any. Saw a video on you-tube measuring output on each channel of a Boscam. Some channels put out 10% of rated power output!

So, maybe you have a 200 mW, maybe you don't.
Beachcomber is offline Find More Posts by Beachcomber