Old Jun 11, 2013, 09:29 PM
Find More Posts by realflow100
Joined Jun 2013
53 Posts
Question
Power supply and scooter batteries?

I have two small 12 volt scooter batteries and wondering if i could charge them easily with a computer PSU (while the computer is running)
since I only have the computer I'm using access to PSU and no other PSU availiable.. do you think it would be safe? the batteries are not completely dead. about 30% charge left from what i'm guessing.
I am charging the scooter batteries for a 400 watt amplifier. I know scooter batteries wouldn't be able to put out a full 400 watts. (one channel on the amp is dead anyways)
but would i be able to charge them? safely? if I really have to I can take the PSU out of the computer. I didn't splice any wires i just simply stuck positive and negative into yellow(positive) and black(ground) wires on the PSU wires.

or should I ditch this idea entirely and ask for a professional to take the batteries have them tested and charge them for me? (i dont have money for this i got the batteries for free anyways and they still work great.) i dont have the original charger for the batteries so i wondered if a computer PSU would work?

if this is in the wrong place i'm really sorry. I just couldn't find any other place on the internet to ask a question like this.
realflow100 is offline Find More Posts by realflow100
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2013, 12:11 PM
Find More Posts by Julez
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,948 Posts
Lead acid batterys need more or less precisely 13.8V to be charged, with a current limited to around 1/10 C.

(10Ah battery, 1A charge current, for example.)

Your PC PSU can't do that.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/LM2596S-DC-DC...item5650a9de14

If you buy this and a cheap 15-30V laptop power supply from a thrift shop or ebay, you are set.

It needs to be adjusted with a multimeter though.
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old May 28, 2016, 08:25 PM
Find More Posts by realflow100
Joined Jun 2013
53 Posts
I can't buy that though actually.
it states "No shipping to united states of america"
realflow100 is offline Find More Posts by realflow100