Old Apr 22, 2015, 12:21 AM
Find More Posts by RocketRobin
Fox 1
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Jan 2013
995 Posts
Roger Ramjet? Nein! Hermann Staustrahltriebwerke

The German language is so poetic.

I've had my first maiden, prang and refits, so Murphy's law no longer counts.
Time for some nice new livery.

I figured I could do some cool stuff with Major Decals' Regia Aeronautica layout. The Italian allied colours would blend nicely on top and the fascist roundels would reinforce black stripes on the bottom, allowing for good orientation. Drove to every LHS in every corner of town to get the decal sheet and was left with something else. Keep in mind I was cranking Ramstien in the STI.

I'm happy with the bottom. If you can't see that that's not the top you've got to be blind.
The top is OK, nice solid red line down the wing. The skull and crossbones are a bit "blocky", but I think I can make it work with some custom nose art. Some fierce nose art.

Cheers!
Rocket
RocketRobin is offline Find More Posts by RocketRobin
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2015, 11:10 PM
Fox 1
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Jan 2013
995 Posts
And She's Done

Cheers!
Rocket
Old Apr 25, 2015, 02:42 AM
Find More Posts by jk6672
John
United States, CA, Heber
Joined Sep 2012
4,427 Posts
You will like how it flys.
jk6672 is offline Find More Posts by jk6672
Old Apr 26, 2015, 08:39 PM
Fox 1
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Jan 2013
995 Posts
The MiniC flies great! It does all the old 1970s maneuvers to perfection.
200 ft loops that track perfectly round and slow motion axial rolls are easy peasy.
I got about 20 flights in today. Conditions went from no wind to moderately windy/gusty conditions. With the Guardian, wind is a non-issue and the MiniC tracks like a rocket sled.
In spite of the thick airfoil, the MiniC handles best when is it moving. It can fly slowly and hang around, but it will wallow in the turns. A nice cruise is around 2/3 throttle (about 18A). I set my timer for 7 minutes, allowing for a solid cruise and several blips to full throttle for verticals. After landing the pack is at 11.1/11.3V, which leaves at least 3 minutes of low speed cruise for back-up, before LVC.

Cheers!
Rocket
Old Apr 26, 2015, 09:07 PM
Find More Posts by LedZepplin
United States, TX
Joined Jan 2013
229 Posts
Nice work Rocket! Can you compare performance with 2 and 3-blade props? Flaperons make for great slow flying, just dips the nose a little.

Zep
LedZepplin is online now Find More Posts by LedZepplin
Old Apr 26, 2015, 10:56 PM
Fox 1
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Jan 2013
995 Posts
2 blade props are inherently more efficient than 3 blade props, as they create less helical airflow. However, as speed increases the helical angle decreases, so the comparable efficiency losses with more blades decreases somewhat.

With a 10 x 8E APC the MiniC has exceptional acceleration at low speed and extended high speed performance. However, APCs are heavy props and finding one that is dynamically balanced is like finding a needle in a stack of needles. After flying with the APCs I found that the primary firewall failed (yet again). The MiniCs delicate airframe is not designed to withstand the heavy vibrations that the full sized Contender can deal with.

The 3 blade Master Airscrew 9 x 7 is silky smooth. It lacks punch at low airspeeds, but once the ship is moving it locks in and won't let go. It does sacrifice flat out speed, but gives it all back in the vertical climb. This is not a prop for brutal 3D maneuvers, but more for graceful aerobatics.
The MiniC is a trike and as such has a fairly long take-off run. You can't just boot it off the ground like a tail dragger. With the 3 blade prop you need to add a lot of right rudder to counter act the adverse yaw (caused by the helical airflow) and stay off the elevator until you have rotation speed.

I have my MiniC programmed for flaperons. The adverse yaw isn't nearly as bad as I had expected and it reduces the landing roll considerably.

Cheers!
Rocket
Old Aug 25, 2015, 03:40 AM
Fox 1
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Jan 2013
995 Posts

I've been mucking around with the MiniC a fair bit and I've come back to the APC two blades, with careful balancing.
I think the 10 x 8 is best the for basic sport flying that I do, for now.
The 10 x 10 provides a fast cruise and amazing high speed verticals, with nice battery efficiency.

I'm still tweaking the set-up. I think the rig has a tad too much down thrust, so I'll mess with that and see how she goes.
If I can get rid of the nose down when you punch at low speed and the general nose up at high speed, I'll swap back to the 10 x 10.

Cheers!
Rocket
Old Aug 26, 2015, 07:30 PM
Find More Posts by Krumpel
Crash tests done dirt cheap!
United States, WV, Lewisburg
Joined Feb 2014
101 Posts
Today was the maiden of my MiniContender and I came away very happy with its performance. Long roll out to takeoff, needed a good bit of up trim but otherwise it flew pretty much as advertised. Subsequent flights were spent messing with the CG and trims but overall I was quite favorably impressed. Running a 450/1100 KV motor w/a 9x6 APC, 30a ESC and 1800ma battery. Came in at 28 oz and that fat wing did really well even in a 5 to 10 mph variable wind.

I remember how well the original Contenders flew from back when I was a kid learning to fly from my dad. The smell of burning nitro still reminds me of my time flying with him.
Krumpel is offline Find More Posts by Krumpel
Old Oct 07, 2015, 09:02 AM
Find More Posts by crazyflyer92
Joined Oct 2012
85 Posts
I know it's been a while but here are pictures of the retracts
crazyflyer92 is offline Find More Posts by crazyflyer92
Old Oct 07, 2015, 09:30 AM
Find More Posts by LedZepplin
United States, TX
Joined Jan 2013
229 Posts
Really cool, gotta try it myself! House about giving some details. Retract make/model, steerable? motor, battery, prop, installation tips?

Zep
LedZepplin is online now Find More Posts by LedZepplin
Old Dec 19, 2015, 08:48 AM
Find More Posts by NewZee
Foam is my friend!!!
United States, NY, Depew
Joined Mar 2014
1,304 Posts
Just got one!

Hi All,
Just received my Top Flite Mini Contender in the mail, Bought it here on RC Groups for $80 shipped! it arrived in good shape! and I'm anxious to start the build (assembly). I'll keep it pretty much stock, but doubt I'll use a "Rimfire" motor (not a big fan) . Right now I'm thinking a NTM or Turnigy motor in a 28 to 30 frame size and 1200 to 1400 kV. a 30A Suppo ESC, and 1800-2200 3S batteries. I'll start with a 9X6 prop and go from there, I also plan to go with slightly larger foam wheels as I fly off short grass. I'll add a "jet" pilot I have laying around, and go with the "NAVY" decals.

I'm not looking for 3D performance, but more just "Sport" acrobatics. I think this plane is a nice size for the close by park, but would also be right at home at the flying club (especially with the "heritage" of the Contender).

I'm about halfway through reading this thread ! lots of good input.

Cheers!...NewZee
NewZee is offline Find More Posts by NewZee
Old Dec 19, 2015, 02:46 PM
Fox 1
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Jan 2013
995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewZee View Post
Hi All,
Just received my Top Flite Mini Contender in the mail, Bought it here on RC Groups for $80 shipped! it arrived in good shape! and I'm anxious to start the build (assembly). I'll keep it pretty much stock, but doubt I'll use a "Rimfire" motor (not a big fan) . Right now I'm thinking a NTM or Turnigy motor in a 28 to 30 frame size and 1200 to 1400 kV. a 30A Suppo ESC, and 1800-2200 3S batteries. I'll start with a 9X6 prop and go from there, I also plan to go with slightly larger foam wheels as I fly off short grass. I'll add a "jet" pilot I have laying around, and go with the "NAVY" decals.

I'm not looking for 3D performance, but more just "Sport" acrobatics. I think this plane is a nice size for the close by park, but would also be right at home at the flying club (especially with the "heritage" of the Contender).

I'm about halfway through reading this thread ! lots of good input.

Cheers!...NewZee
Make sure you check the glue joints in the nose and apply CA as needed.
Check the grain of the plywood in the nose. Mine was horizontal (it should have been vertical), so I ended up having to add a couple of 1 x 3mm CF bars to reinforce it.
I fly off grass too and found the glue joints in the main gear blocks were insufficient. You might want to peel the covering from them and re-glue them as needed. If you're careful with the covering you can simply re-cover the blocks with some pieces of Monokote trim sheet.

I've got a lot of flights on my MiniC and after getting the glue joints tight it's been a rock solid, reliable flyer. It flies great in the wind with a fast prop and it's my go-to plane when conditions at the club field are less than ideal.

I also increased the wheel size and went with 2" mains and a 1.75 nose.

The MiniC flies great with all kinds of props. I have mine fitted with a custom built 10 x 4 x 4 right now, but it will be a while before I get to test it out.

Cheers!
Rocket
Old Jan 08, 2016, 07:23 AM
Find More Posts by billmester
Joined Jan 2015
18 Posts
Hi,
2" rubber wheels on all 3 landing gears, flying from rough grass only.
2200mAh 3S 30C Lipo (2800 will not fit ) and an emax GT2812/06 (1550kv) motor, 40A ESC, 9x6 prop, emax es08ma/II metal servos. Otherwise full stock.
Flies like a dream, quite fast
It can handle the rough grass field... but the nose gear needs some straightening after 2-3 landings. I have flaperons programmed, helps with landing speed, but not essential.
Have fun - this is one of my favourites
billmester is offline Find More Posts by billmester
Old Jan 08, 2016, 09:47 AM
Find More Posts by NewZee
Foam is my friend!!!
United States, NY, Depew
Joined Mar 2014
1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmester View Post
Hi,
2" rubber wheels on all 3 landing gears, flying from rough grass only.
2200mAh 3S 30C Lipo (2800 will not fit ) and an emax GT2812/06 (1550kv) motor, 40A ESC, 9x6 prop, emax es08ma/II metal servos. Otherwise full stock.
Flies like a dream, quite fast
It can handle the rough grass field... but the nose gear needs some straightening after 2-3 landings. I have flaperons programmed, helps with landing speed, but not essential.
Have fun - this is one of my favourites
10-4 ...Thanks for sharing, Already figured I'd go with bigger diameter wheels!! have several 1800-2200 3S batts already!! I'll start with a Suppo 28/33 1250 kV motor (equiv to a park 450), and will spin a 9X6 as well.
NewZee is offline Find More Posts by NewZee