Old Jan 13, 2016, 08:28 PM
Find More Posts by Vantasstic
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
20,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbender4by View Post
Yea Van you are a bit of a celebrity on several forums. Heck if it had not been for you Dragon Link may never have survived the yelling from the unhappy hoards of people.
Thanks for the kind words. Double shucks
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2016, 08:00 PM
Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,630 Posts
Lee,
Is it possible to display the DL symbology as if it were "mirrored"?
Thanks.
JBB
scrtsqrl is offline Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Old Jan 16, 2016, 05:31 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
20,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrtsqrl View Post
Lee,
Is it possible to display the DL symbology as if it were "mirrored"?
Thanks.
JBB
Not that I know of.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 10:43 PM
Find More Posts by usna09
FPV Made Easy
Joined Oct 2014
254 Posts
Here's my first recorded video of my DragonOSD in action, with my head tracking setup. I love it! Thanks to everyone on this thread who provides help to people like me trying to figure everything out.
FPV with Head Track and Pan / Tilt - First Flight (5 min 40 sec)
usna09 is offline Find More Posts by usna09
Old Feb 05, 2016, 02:56 PM
Find More Posts by Williamo
United States, SC, York
Joined Jun 2012
82 Posts
Ever since I got my Dragon OSD I haven't been able to get accurate voltage readings. I have used the voltage calibration wizard along with my voltage meter many times and at first it seem to be right but soon the readings get way off. When it's supposed to be close to 12.5 it will read something like 9 V. I am aware that the manual indicates the need to remove a resistor from the current senson. I never removed anything hoping that my unit did not need such removal. I got the current sensor that came with the Dragon OSD, the one that is labelled Dragon Lab. Does anyone have ay suggestions? Thanks.
Williamo is offline Find More Posts by Williamo
Old Feb 09, 2016, 03:14 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
20,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamo View Post
Ever since I got my Dragon OSD I haven't been able to get accurate voltage readings. I have used the voltage calibration wizard along with my voltage meter many times and at first it seem to be right but soon the readings get way off. When it's supposed to be close to 12.5 it will read something like 9 V. I am aware that the manual indicates the need to remove a resistor from the current senson. I never removed anything hoping that my unit did not need such removal. I got the current sensor that came with the Dragon OSD, the one that is labelled Dragon Lab. Does anyone have ay suggestions? Thanks.
The voltage reading has never been spot on. I'm more interested in the voltage reading under power, not sitting idle on the ground. Using a watt meter, I power up to about cruise power (have to be careful as the prop is on for a proper load reading), then calibrate the reading until my volt and current are about the same as the watt-meter reading. The reading will be 'off' some when sitting on the ground, but again, I care more for the reading at flight power.
Old Feb 09, 2016, 04:51 PM
United States, SC, York
Joined Jun 2012
82 Posts
I may have tried voltage calibration under load but I have never done that with current. I will try that at the first chance. Thank you for been out there Vantasstic!
Old Feb 15, 2016, 03:08 PM
United States, SC, York
Joined Jun 2012
82 Posts
Thanks Vantasstic. It seem to have worked. I went through a few power cycles and the calibration held on. I have been meaning to ask your opinion on using the Guardian Eagle Tree IMU with the Dragon OSD. The Dragon OSD Xlator manual indicates that the Xlator "currently supports any IMU which utilize the same packet structure" as any of the three recommended IMUs to use with the Dragon OSD. That quote doesn't tell me much. Could you unpack that piece of information for me to find out if the Guardian Eagle Tree could be an IMU of choice? I have used this IMU in the past and I much rather use something I trust that the other 3 suggestions made by the Xlator manual.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 08:23 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
20,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamo View Post
Thanks Vantasstic. It seem to have worked. I went through a few power cycles and the calibration held on. I have been meaning to ask your opinion on using the Guardian Eagle Tree IMU with the Dragon OSD. The Dragon OSD Xlator manual indicates that the Xlator "currently supports any IMU which utilize the same packet structure" as any of the three recommended IMUs to use with the Dragon OSD. That quote doesn't tell me much. Could you unpack that piece of information for me to find out if the Guardian Eagle Tree could be an IMU of choice? I have used this IMU in the past and I much rather use something I trust that the other 3 suggestions made by the Xlator manual.
Sorry, can't provide any insight on that. I connect an FY20 (I believe...can't remember if that was the model...been so long ago now) to my DOSD via the Xlator. If you can do the same with other sensors...don't know.

You should be able to use just about any IMU by placing it between the DOSD outputs and the servos. One consideration is (I believe) the DOSD outputs put out the signals at the same time on all four outputs, not out1, out2, etc, in order. Some stabilizers may not know how to process simultaneous signals, others do. Don't ask me which can or can't. I just recall reading some info on this in the past.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 02:39 PM
United States, SC, York
Joined Jun 2012
82 Posts
What GPS-Stabilize Gain value you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by usna09 View Post
Here's my first recorded video of my DragonOSD in action, with my head tracking setup. I love it! Thanks to everyone on this thread who provides help to people like me trying to figure everything out.
https://youtu.be/W2UVJVMgzY0
Hello usna09,
I really enjoyed watching the last two videos you have posted on this thread. I am glad to see that your setting is safely doing long range flights. Long range is not for me. I don't have the right equipment nor I have the b'lls to do it. I see that you re not using an IMU. Neigher do I. Now that your system is living up to it's full potential, what is the GPS-Stabilize Gain vaue that has worked best for you? I finally flew my aircraft with a value other than cero but I was quite disapointed with the results. I tried a Gain value of 3 but the plane seem not to be able to keep a heading under crossed winds. If nothig else work, I'll try linking the nob on my tx to tune it up until the plane behaves to my satisfaction. But before I mess with my current settings, I much rather try the value that has worked with your SkyEye on my Sonic Modell Sky Surfer.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 03:25 AM
Find More Posts by Mehari
Joined Aug 2008
165 Posts
It has been a couple of years since I played around with Dragonlink/DOSD systems, having since moved on to other forms of flying entertainment.

When I saw the new DRAK I realised that this was the perfect FPV platform and decided then and there to get back into FPV again.

At the moment I am in read/prototype/refresh the memory mode as I have forgotten many of the finer details of these systems - and there are LOTS of things to juggle at once as I recall.

I am thinking of using a different wiring layout to that I had previously and would appreciate comments from the aficionados on this forum.

My original setup used a 3S supply for video transmit/receive (which were both 12V) and a BEC after the power take-off for those components to power the DOSD and Dragonlink. I had some problems with video range in that setup which I suspect were largely the result of the BEC.

Does it make sense to use a 2S supply directly into a hefty linear BEC stepping down to 6 Volts and use this for all video, receiver and OSD functions so that everything is on the same side of the BEC?

Thoughts please. Forgive me if this has been thrown up before but this thread is almost endless now!
Mehari is offline Find More Posts by Mehari
Old Feb 25, 2016, 05:42 AM
Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
4,133 Posts
I wouldn't be powering my video and OSD on 6V personally. My video Tx wants 7-12V IIRC and the DOSD wants the full battery input so it can be measured.

If you wanted to eliminate a BEC you could use an old-fashioned NiCD pack for the servos and Rx but why bother? Your low-interference alternative is to run a separate battery for the video system. Personally I just use one 3s battery for everything, the ESC BECs for servo power (you won't need much power for two servos on a drak) and a filter for the video kit.
MikeTheCrash is offline Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Old Feb 26, 2016, 03:12 AM
Joined Aug 2008
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTheCrash View Post
Your low-interference alternative is to run a separate battery for the video system.
Thanks Mike.

I will run with the separate video pack option. I take your point about allowing the OSD to access the voltage of this pack.

Just a couple of questions.

Which is the best point to connect the voltage from the BEC into the servo/receiver side - directly into a free PWM output of the DOSD or into a channel of the Dragonlink receiver?

Am I right in recalling that it is wise to use only the signal wire of the ESC to connect to the DOSD and leave out the ground line? I recall something about avoiding a loop with the current sensor that can put too much current through the DOSD itself.

Thanks again.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 04:14 AM
Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
4,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehari View Post
Thanks Mike.

I will run with the separate video pack option. I take your point about allowing the OSD to access the voltage of this pack.

Just a couple of questions.

Which is the best point to connect the voltage from the BEC into the servo/receiver side - directly into a free PWM output of the DOSD or into a channel of the Dragonlink receiver?

Am I right in recalling that it is wise to use only the signal wire of the ESC to connect to the DOSD and leave out the ground line? I recall something about avoiding a loop with the current sensor that can put too much current through the DOSD itself.

Thanks again.
For BEC connection point, there is practically no difference so long as the cables can handle the current. You might just choose the shortest cable run? you might put it on the DOSD to minimise voltage drop by making the runs as short as possible? You could put it on the Rx so it still works when you are swapping wires around or fault finding? Possibly I am over-thinking this one. It doesn't matter.

There is a theoretical problem of high currents returning to battery via the ESC signal ground, and of ground loops but TBH I think the hassle of doing it, the possibility of an OPTO-isolated ESC not working without a ground, the confusion it causes when fault finding etc etc leads me to decide to just keep the cable as-is. Most every FPV and AP plane in the world has survived.

One think you might want to look out for is not connecting standalone BEC to ESC BEC if there is one!
MikeTheCrash is offline Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Old Feb 26, 2016, 07:38 PM
Joined Aug 2008
165 Posts
Thanks Mike.

Full test layout already up and running.

Now for the build!