New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 30, 2009, 02:15 AM
Find More Posts by Kudi
Rothrist, Switzerland
Joined Nov 2005
78 Posts
Build Log
ECLIPSE 400, design and build

When I saw the first photo of the Model 400 of Eclipse Aviation, I was caught by the shape of this VLJ (very light jet).

For more than a year I tried to get CAD-data or at least drawings to scale from Eclipse Aviation. No chance. They didn’t give out any information. Finally the company entered an unsuccessful bankruptcy in November 2008, which was converted into a liquidation procedure in February 2009.
I had collected lots of photos and some videos. So I decided however to design this Jet for a medium sized EDF. It will not be 100% true to scale, and I plan to build a “proof of concept” for 69mm-fan, before going to a bigger scale.

First of all I sorted out pictures with adequate bottom, front and side views. These pictures are now placed as background-pictures in my 2D-CAD. I trace the outlines and together with my imagination, I finally get three views of the ECLIPSE 400. All 3 views are scaled up to a wingspan of 1 Meter (best to calculate with, for me metric guy). This 1-Meter-3-side view will be the basis for all my further design-work.

Cheers
Kudi
Kudi is offline Find More Posts by Kudi
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2009, 02:37 AM
Find More Posts by bruff
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
8,457 Posts
Looks great! Good Luck.
Bob
bruff is offline Find More Posts by bruff
Old Jul 01, 2009, 01:07 PM
Find More Posts by Kudi
Rothrist, Switzerland
Joined Nov 2005
78 Posts
From 2D to 3D

I moved the 2D-views of the fuselage to my 3D-CAD and created a square body, by using the outlines of side and ground view. I only designed one half, the other one can be mirrored by the CAD.
Then I “sliced” this square body in short pieces and fit half an ellipse into every square cross-section. The CAD can automatically create a new body over all these ellipses. After some more computer-work I have now the first digital mockup of my ECLIPSE 400 fuse.
Next steps: Wing and tail

So long!
Kudi
Old Jul 02, 2009, 08:26 PM
Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
9,593 Posts
Cool project. Good luck. Logged on.
Knife Liddle is offline Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
Old Jul 07, 2009, 03:07 PM
Find More Posts by Kudi
Rothrist, Switzerland
Joined Nov 2005
78 Posts
Wings and tail

I chose a HB 1908 - airfoil for the wing. This airfoil was designed by a friend for high speed hang gliders and it had proved its quality on my EDF-VIKING. For the tall wingtips of the ECLIPSE 400 I thickened it up from 8% to 10%.

You remember, my design-size is 1meter wingspan, so I positioned the root-airfoil and 0.5m away the tip-airfoil in its correct position. The CAD can now create the wing from one to the other airfoil. The same way with the V-Tail that has a symmetrical airfoil. All three bodies are now mated together and does it look like an Eclipse 400?

After some calculations (estimated weight, wing loading, power of EDF…) I decided to build the first prototype (for Minifan, 69mm dia) with 1.2m of wingspan. So I scaled up my CAD-model by 1.2 and mounted my own designed VIKING-nacelle. Granted, it’s bigger than scale. But is it that bad?

Kudi
Old Jul 07, 2009, 03:12 PM
Find More Posts by bruff
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
8,457 Posts
Nice!
Bob
bruff is offline Find More Posts by bruff
Old Jul 14, 2009, 03:31 PM
Find More Posts by Kudi
Rothrist, Switzerland
Joined Nov 2005
78 Posts
Design of the prototype

My design-philosophy for the Prototype: KISS (Keep It Simple and Stupid). All parts of wood. Fuselage box-type. Wings and tail in rib-design, totally sheeted.
So I went back in CAD to my first square body and decided where to have the formers. By virually cutting the 3D-model on the position of the former I get the outlines for my formers. Cut-out for stringers and sheeting is next and of course the inner hole.
Finally I have a 3D-model with all formers in correct position. Now the CAD can automatically create all stringers extracting the cut-outs of the formers. For easier build up on a plane surface, I decided to separate the fuse in an upper and lower half.
I think, I must start milling formers now , as I continue designing.

We’ll see
Kudi
Last edited by Kudi; Jul 15, 2009 at 01:11 AM.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 06:52 PM
Find More Posts by Larry Dudeck
Williamsville, NY, USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,562 Posts
Very nice. What CAD program are you using?
Larry Dudeck is offline Find More Posts by Larry Dudeck
Old Jul 14, 2009, 07:57 PM
Find More Posts by AirX
EDF rules... :)
United States, TX, Katy
Joined Nov 1999
13,918 Posts
Nice Cad work Kudi, love to see the model grow out of it.

Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Jul 15, 2009, 01:20 AM
Find More Posts by Kudi
Rothrist, Switzerland
Joined Nov 2005
78 Posts
CAD programm

Hi Larry

I use autodesk-products: 2D-AutoCAD and 3D-Inventor. CAD is my daily business as a self-employed engineer in robotics, so designing an EDF-jet is a convenient job-change.

Kudi
Old Jul 15, 2009, 07:15 AM
Find More Posts by space 1
USA
Joined Apr 2007
2,520 Posts
Standard viking nacelle on top Kudi where you get viking nacelle. ps looks good like something id build mabey try profile. i did other jets like that worked good
space 1 is offline Find More Posts by space 1
Old Jul 17, 2009, 01:05 AM
Find More Posts by Kudi
Rothrist, Switzerland
Joined Nov 2005
78 Posts
Nacelle

Hi space 1

The nacelle for 69mm-sized fans was designed by myself for my S3A Viking. I offer the nacelle in kitform with woodparts, vacuum-formed outer halves and a fiberglass thrust-tube over here in Europe. Delivery-cost to overseas ??

Kudi
Old Jul 17, 2009, 01:33 PM
Find More Posts by AirX
EDF rules... :)
United States, TX, Katy
Joined Nov 1999
13,918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudi
Hi Larry

I use autodesk-products: 2D-AutoCAD and 3D-Inventor. CAD is my daily business as a self-employed engineer in robotics, so designing an EDF-jet is a convenient job-change.

Kudi
I work with the same tools in Turbomachinery. Good luck with the design.

Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Jul 22, 2009, 02:14 PM
Find More Posts by Kudi
Rothrist, Switzerland
Joined Nov 2005
78 Posts
Woodwork starts

More details were added to the fuse in CAD. I decided to build the V-tail in one piece and screw it to the fuse later. The batteries will slide from the wing-opening to the nose, apron is already designed. I think all heavy stuff will have to be moved as forward as possible to get correct CG.

But now let’s go to hardware: I fed the CAD-data of all the formers into my CNC-Program and after some brainwork I had the correct code for my mill. Also I have extracted all the wing- and tail-ribs of my 3D-model to get the milling-data.

Most parts of balsa-wood and poplar plywood are now milled and I am looking forward to glue all together.

Kudi
Old Jul 22, 2009, 03:27 PM
Find More Posts by space 1
USA
Joined Apr 2007
2,520 Posts
Nacelle thanks Kudi nice job. i'm still using coffee cups
space 1 is offline Find More Posts by space 1