Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 14, 2004, 09:55 PM
Enjoy Life B4U Die!
United States, GA, Powder Springs
Joined Dec 1999
4,209 Posts
Does This Look About Right (30" ZagNutz)

I hope so - my son wants me to build one for him - I was thinking of using a Speed 300 geared with this 11" prop - I also have a couple more Speed 300's with direct-drive props I could use instead. I really have no idea what dimensions are reasonable for designing 30" wings - this is just a guess, based on the larger ZagNutz, just scaled down a bit.

1 - Does this look like it might work?
2 - Does the motor/gear/prop seem reasonable or would it just be "too slow" - my son wants to use this plane to learn on, so we're not looking for speed

Thanks,

Buzz
Buzz_Man is online now Find More Posts by Buzz_Man
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2004, 11:22 PM
Near Austin
Joined Dec 2001
5,353 Posts
If he is learning, then why not on a full size 52" Nutz? Sp400's aren't much more than 380's and the bigger wing is easier to orient. The smaller wings tend to be much "twitchier" and require a faster response on the sticks. I have taught a number of (grass green, land bound, never even thought of flying!) type of folks to fly using the a big Nutz and had great success. You might want to reconsider!

Gene
CenTexFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CenTexFlyer
Old Aug 15, 2004, 03:54 PM
Enjoy Life B4U Die!
United States, GA, Powder Springs
Joined Dec 1999
4,209 Posts
I totally agree - the 52 'Nutz, for several reasons would be better to learn on . . . but, he's 15, his brothers both just went away to college and he's stuck home alone with me - he thought the 30" wings would be cooler, so I'm gonna make him one.

I've been practicing with this F3 stuff and found a great "recipe" for making a leading edge for "smaller" wings - not having to rely on the "fold" that's already there because the "pre-defined" leading edge seems a bit large for smaller wings. Basically, the pink F3 I have is "two ply" and if you make a cut like this, AND TAPE IT FIRST, then it'll fold into a beautiful leading edge shape that seems resistant to breaking/cracking and provides a more "realistic" & perhaps even a more aerodynamic shape for smaller wings like the 30" Nutz.

I think when he sees the first ZN flying around & then takes his turn at it, he'll be pretty excited about flying it - and hopefully, then building his own & flying that.

Thanks for the comment Gene,

Buzz
Buzz_Man is online now Find More Posts by Buzz_Man