HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 22, 2014, 11:35 PM
United States, IL, Huntley
Joined Oct 2008
379 Posts
Help!
Help Applying Water Based Decals

Hi,

I received a sheet of water based decals with a kit plane. So far I have managed to destroy the first 3 decals I tried to apply. I followed this process: Peeled clear plastic covering tacky glued surface, submerged decal in warm water for 10sec. Placed decal on a glass plate and let it sit abit, then tried to slide it from paper backing. I have managed to crunch, tear or fold the decals over on themselves while attempting to remove them from the paper backing.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Ken
KenS999 is offline Find More Posts by KenS999
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2014, 07:20 AM
Wilson NC 27896
Joined Apr 2009
726 Posts
Something doesnt sound right here. I have applied my share of water based decals over the years and i never had any type of clear plastic covering with tacky glue to deal with. If they are truely water based decals, submergeing them in warm water until the decal can easily slide around on its paper backing should allow you to apply it to your model with ease. I usually follow that up with a coating of Walthers Solvaset setting solution. This allows the decal to melt into the surface its sitting on. Is it possible you have some type of graphics instead of water based decals? Thats an entirely different application process....Gene
gene6029 is offline Find More Posts by gene6029
Old Mar 23, 2014, 07:58 AM
United States, IL, Huntley
Joined Oct 2008
379 Posts
Yes, decals I used in the past were not like this. I usually buy ARFs or PnPs so I am not that familiar with different types of decals. Hoping someone here has successfully used the type of decal I described in my initial post.

Ken
KenS999 is offline Find More Posts by KenS999