HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 11, 2001, 04:48 PM
Concord, NC
Joined Jan 2001
1,044 Posts
Urbanflyer Forum

Just finished the Urbanflyer today, don't have the right motor yet, but the plane is ready. What are the weights of your Urban's ready to fly with what type of battery?
J Bergsmith is offline Find More Posts by J Bergsmith
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2001, 06:05 PM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Mar 2001
4,370 Posts
I have a Speed 300 motor you are welcome to borrow until GWS gets the 370s to the States.

Doug
CoClimber is offline Find More Posts by CoClimber
Old Nov 12, 2001, 06:56 AM
Byram Twp. NJ
Joined Dec 2000
121 Posts
J

With the stock 370 motor that Doug recommends, and an 8 cell 720ma NIMH pack my Urban Flyer has an AUW of 12.5 ounces.

Steve
steve f is offline Find More Posts by steve f
Old Nov 12, 2001, 07:58 AM
Madison Ms. USA
Joined Jan 2000
614 Posts
J Bergsmith,
What covering did you use on your UF?
Thanks,
Sligh is offline Find More Posts by Sligh
Old Nov 12, 2001, 08:20 AM
Concord, NC
Joined Jan 2001
1,044 Posts
I used Ultracote on the wing and tail, I used Litspan on the flying surfaces. You have to be careful because the covering will warp the airframe.
Old Nov 17, 2001, 05:06 PM
Concord, NC
Joined Jan 2001
1,044 Posts
I flew the Urbanflyer today for the first time. I have exactly what Doug calls for in the plane, GWS B motor, GWS 9X7 prop, 8 cell 720 nimh pack, 2-hs55 servos, Hitech feather w/Azzar antenna. Flight perfromance was great, this plane will roll, great big loops, flies inverted with very little down, and about a 10minute run with aerobatics the entire time. I think Doug has a real winner on his hands with the Urbanflyer. My ready to fly weight is 13.3oz, I used regular trans. Ultracote so that might account for the higher stock weight, not sure what else it would be. It flies great, very happy with the performance!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No lack of power on this sportflyer! I will take a picture tomorrrow.
Old Nov 17, 2001, 07:53 PM
kit
USA
Joined Oct 2001
695 Posts
J B,

Where did you get the GWS B motor? I've been trying to find one and no one seems to have any.

tia
kit is offline Find More Posts by kit
Old Nov 17, 2001, 07:56 PM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Mar 2001
4,370 Posts
The B motor should be available by the end of the month, I hope.

Doug Binder
CoClimber is offline Find More Posts by CoClimber
Old Nov 17, 2001, 08:26 PM
Concord, NC
Joined Jan 2001
1,044 Posts
I posted an ad in the For sale/wanted section. I was lucky enough to have someone answer my ad and send me the motor. People in this hobby are the nicest people around!
Old Nov 17, 2001, 08:49 PM
Oak Harbor, Oh
Joined Jun 2001
663 Posts
Bergsmith,

I've been flying this plane too, and it flys really nice. One thing though, my rolls aren't very axial. More of a barrell roll, than axial roll. How does yours roll? I have a little warping in the ailerons and I'm wondering if this is what is causing it.

Tim
T_Hartigan is offline Find More Posts by T_Hartigan
Old Nov 18, 2001, 12:55 AM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
Mine flies GREAT but does not do a tight axial roll either. I think it is the way the Ailerons are mounted. I followed the instructions and placed the Ailerons butted flush against the wing and hinged them with Packing tape. I think that when the aileron goes down it binds a little on the trailing edge of the wing and thus you have more aileron forcing the wing down than you have forcing the opposite wing up.

That is my theory which will be tested soon as I make a mod.

It did go straight up and hang on the prop for a good 2 seconds today at 3/4 throttle. Before that I did an outside loop at 1/2 throttle. What a great design Doug!

Any news of the Rudder kit that was mentioned on here recently?

I am dying to see it spin and hammer head.

I also would like to know when you get more GWS motors in as I would like to buy another motor.

Kirby
kepople is offline Find More Posts by kepople
Old Nov 18, 2001, 07:28 AM
Concord, NC
Joined Jan 2001
1,044 Posts
The barn door ailerons will account for a not so smooth roll. The right amount of down and up elevator while in the roll will help. I think then next one I build will have dual aileron servo's, two hs-50 servo's would add next to nothing.
Old Nov 18, 2001, 09:30 AM
Oak Harbor, Oh
Joined Jun 2001
663 Posts
Well, it sounds like my ailerons are like yours. I initially had the same problem where it would go down more in the center than on the ends, but I cut the tape and moved them out about a 32nd or so. This helped, but with it being twisted from one end of the aileron, warping is still occuring.

Doug, would it be possible to extend the brass tube another couple of inches into the aileron to prevent this. Or somehow twist from the center of the ailerons?

Kirby, if you find a mod that works, let me know.

Still a great flying plane.

Tim
T_Hartigan is offline Find More Posts by T_Hartigan
Old Nov 18, 2001, 09:54 AM
Concord, NC
Joined Jan 2001
1,044 Posts
My ailerons work fine stock, I just like the feel of a servo on each aileron.
Old Nov 20, 2001, 10:57 PM
Malaysia
Joined Jun 2001
1,009 Posts
Hi Doug

Dinah just passed me the Urban Flyer yesterday. Mighty happy man after drooling over the plan.

But, I can't fix it yet. Got to wait until my wife goes to the inlaw for vacation. That is like 3 months ahead. But I'm sure I can wake up an hour earlier on weekend to fix up the plane. Should be able to do it in 2 weeks, minus the covering.

Anyhow I got to wait for my new rx before I can fly it.

Jesse.
Magna is offline Find More Posts by Magna