HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jun 03, 2011, 01:52 PM
Registered User
Brasil, São Paulo, Vinhedo
Joined Feb 2011
62 Posts
Build Log
HoverFly Build Log

Hi,

I just want to share my Log building of my new quadcopter.
The frame is ready to receive the hoverflyPro board that is in the Post Office to be delivered.
This is my third quad, I have terminal crashed twice with kkmulticopter so I decide to try hoverfly board to help me with stabilization :-)
I have no previous experience with RC.

Here is the list:
4x brushless FlyCam 925 from http://www.kkmulticopter.kr
1x Power distribution board from http://www.kkmulticopter.kr
4x ESC HobbyKing 20A
1x battery Turnigy 5000mAh 3S
1x frame (home made)
4x propellers 10x4.7 APC
total weight 1,5kg (I hope it is not to heavy)

Any comments are welcome.

Thanks

Jose Luis
jsbroglio is offline Find More Posts by jsbroglio
Last edited by jsbroglio; Jun 07, 2011 at 10:58 AM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2011, 10:29 PM
Registered User
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,627 Posts
Jose,

It sounds like you plan on taking off with AL on but for the first time you should have trims centered and take off with AL off then while hovering turn it on and trim out any drift you have. Land and turn AL off and unplug battery. Repower and lift off with AL off and when you switch it back on there should be little or no drift. Then you can try taking off with AL on keeping in mind one arm is probably going to drag a little till you give it some throttle so you want to bump the throttle to get a quick liftoff rather than let the arm drag on the ground. You will find the HFP is way more steady than the other when setup right.
pug398 is offline Find More Posts by pug398
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 07, 2011, 10:47 AM
Registered User
Brasil, São Paulo, Vinhedo
Joined Feb 2011
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pug398 View Post
Jose,

It sounds like you plan on taking off with AL on but for the first time you should have trims centered and take off with AL off then while hovering turn it on and trim out any drift you have. Land and turn AL off and unplug battery. Repower and lift off with AL off and when you switch it back on there should be little or no drift. Then you can try taking off with AL on keeping in mind one arm is probably going to drag a little till you give it some throttle so you want to bump the throttle to get a quick liftoff rather than let the arm drag on the ground. You will find the HFP is way more steady than the other when setup right.
Thanks for the tip!
jsbroglio is offline Find More Posts by jsbroglio
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 07, 2011, 10:56 AM
Registered User
Brasil, São Paulo, Vinhedo
Joined Feb 2011
62 Posts
I´m still waiting for my HFP board and in the main time I decide to make a bigger frame 60cm and turn out lighter(1,4kg) if compared with the first. The challenge was drill holes straight on the aluminium tubes. I use also yellow ruber as Al suggestion to dump the vibration.
jsbroglio is offline Find More Posts by jsbroglio
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 07, 2011, 01:04 PM
Registered User
Brasil, São Paulo, Vinhedo
Joined Feb 2011
62 Posts
Pics of the new frame.
jsbroglio is offline Find More Posts by jsbroglio
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2011, 10:28 AM
Registered User
Brasil, São Paulo, Vinhedo
Joined Feb 2011
62 Posts
Can´t make the it work

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1454122
jsbroglio is offline Find More Posts by jsbroglio
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2011, 06:05 PM
Registered User
Brasil, São Paulo, Vinhedo
Joined Feb 2011
62 Posts
My new home made Gimbal for my Quad. This is my first build that has servos :-)
It is fragil and light but it is ok easy to build. Maybe I´ll need to install some kind of lateral coils or something to help the servo go and back. If the coil don´t work I´ll try change the servor to other stronger.

Here is the gimbal working: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dIK8EJS9fk
jsbroglio is offline Find More Posts by jsbroglio
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2011, 06:17 PM
Z06 Tony's Avatar
Rochester NY
Joined Sep 2008
6,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbroglio View Post
My new home made Gimbal for my Quad. This is my first build that has servos :-)
It is fragil and light but it is ok easy to build. Maybe I´ll need to install some kind of lateral coils or something to help the servo go and back. If the coil don´t work I´ll try change the servor to other stronger.

Here is the gimbal working: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dIK8EJS9fk
1 of your servos is going the wrong direction
Z06 Tony is offline Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 16, 2011, 06:39 PM
Registered User
Burbank, CA
Joined Mar 2004
135 Posts
Yeah your top servo is going the wrong way... You want it to be kept level as the craft tilts.
kevinO is offline Find More Posts by kevinO
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2011, 08:07 PM
Registered User
Brasil, São Paulo, Vinhedo
Joined Feb 2011
62 Posts
Thank you guys for let me know. It is new for me probably I will see that on the video test :-)
jsbroglio is offline Find More Posts by jsbroglio
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2011, 10:41 AM
Registered User
Brasil, São Paulo, Vinhedo
Joined Feb 2011
62 Posts
I have to change the canopy because the other one is to small to accommodate the HFP + RX and future FPV etc.
The new canopy is a Tupperware that my wife give to me :-) Maybe I will paint with black the inside, make its look better I think the problem is I can't see when the HFP is armed or not.
jsbroglio is offline Find More Posts by jsbroglio
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2011, 08:10 PM
Registered User
Brasil, São Paulo, Vinhedo
Joined Feb 2011
62 Posts
New ESC's flip/crash

Today I got my 4 new EMAX 40A esc's. I did the ESC's configurations like the instructions, check the motors/propellers directions. Everything looks ok.
The GEAR gain set to 50%/50%, after arm I give some throttle and the quad start to fly, I see some kind of oscilacion very fast end a flip end crash. I try other values for GEAR like 100%, 75%, 15% the only diference I can see is how fast the oscilation start after some throttle.

Please any ideas?

Thanks
jsbroglio is offline Find More Posts by jsbroglio
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2011, 01:41 PM
Registered User
Brasil, São Paulo, Vinhedo
Joined Feb 2011
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbroglio View Post
Today I got my 4 new EMAX 40A esc's. I did the ESC's configurations like the instructions, check the motors/propellers directions. Everything looks ok.
The GEAR gain set to 50%/50%, after arm I give some throttle and the quad start to fly, I see some kind of oscilacion very fast end a flip end crash. I try other values for GEAR like 100%, 75%, 15% the only diference I can see is how fast the oscilation start after some throttle.

Please any ideas?

Thanks
I found out latter that my HFP board was 90 degrees mounted, after move to the right position it "just fly like on the TV", very smooth, I was the very happy man with your creation.

Thanks Al and George
jsbroglio is offline Find More Posts by jsbroglio
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2011, 06:20 PM
S11D336B's Avatar
USA, FL, Winter Springs
Joined Apr 2006
3,066 Posts
That would do it. Glad you have it flying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbroglio View Post
I found out latter that my HFP board was 90 degrees mounted, after move to the right position it "just fly like on the TV", very smooth, I was the very happy man with your creation.

Thanks Al and George
S11D336B is offline Find More Posts by S11D336B
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2011, 11:13 AM
Registered User
Brasil, São Paulo, Vinhedo
Joined Feb 2011
62 Posts
After make a fly test fully loaded with my home made gimbal plus the camera I notice that the 4 blushless FlyCam was very hot and I decide to change those brushless for other more stronger. I bought 4 new Emax 2826/06 in a local store.
I have not test then yet because they are bigger and I will need to drill new holes in the frame to fit. The spec. for the 2826/06 said that is like .40 Glow, I hope it will run smooth like it is now but with more trust. Well maybe I´ll need to buy new and bigger propellers too, something like 12". For now I only have 10x47. Maybe fly with two batterys.

Today I´ll do small video without the gimbal and I´ll post it here.
jsbroglio is offline Find More Posts by jsbroglio
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log ASK13 build log from Louis Kulicka plans Mike K Scale Sailplanes 111 Jan 05, 2014 12:22 PM
Build Log Hobby King Micro Yak-54 Build log tallflyer Foamies (Kits) 13 Jul 05, 2012 04:56 AM
Build Log D&L Designs 22.5 % CAP 231EX Build Log u2builder Scale Fuel Planes 15 May 24, 2011 11:43 AM