Old Nov 18, 2015, 08:33 PM
Find More Posts by dankar04
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
16,489 Posts
Discussion
Hobbico Upstar electric Glider ?

I bought this years ago. It has big ugly brushed motor. they say 540 size but its way bigger than that. Anyway i don't like it and would like to go bl motor / esc etc. Bird has 68" wingspan. there is like a plywood tray for servos/ battery etc.. It came with 8 cell ni-cad type battery 9.6 volt. I would use a three cell li-po. Just wondered what motor may fit firewall and wattage needed ? Motor would need to be mounted from fron like a heli motor.
The bird has this huge motor but fairly small prop. As is feel like it woukld be a lead sled as E-glider.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2015, 09:34 PM
Find More Posts by nateyok
United States, AZ, Marana
Joined Oct 2014
87 Posts
The eflite out-runners have worked well for me. a power 10 or 15 should be good enough, but then you would probably want a bigger prop, then you have to worry about the ESC if it has one already. Might be better to start over, buy a Radian if you want to thermal, it will do it right out of the box. Save that plane; forget replacing the motor, leave as is, put a rubber band around the propeller and go throw it off a slope and fly, if it gets tore up fix it and fly some more, if it crashes big time throw it in the trash.
nateyok is offline Find More Posts by nateyok
Old Nov 18, 2015, 09:47 PM
Find More Posts by peterlngh
Joined Apr 2012
3,638 Posts
Hi, dankar.

I'm a big fan of the KDA 22-20L from HobbyKing for most any 2 meter class powered glider. HK understates it's performance and mine, all three of them, are very happy to swing a 11 inch prop using a 3 cell battery. They come with all the hardware to mount on either side of the motor mount and even include a prop saver and an extra shaft. My 28 ounce Specter will climb, vertically, as high as I want it in about 15 seconds and it was adequate power in a 48 ounce DG 1000 but it got a bit hot. So? I went to a NTM 35-42 in the heavier glider. I like the NTM too but there have been some negative reviews.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_1000KV.html

Cheers!
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Nov 19, 2015, 09:30 AM
Find More Posts by dankar04
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
16,489 Posts
Thanks for replies. I'm not going to use a new in box model as sloper get real. The motor change out sounds good. there is firewall installed. I had an extra Heli 450 motor just to compare it was way small for firewall. i'll look a H/K motor and see specks on it.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:24 AM
Find More Posts by peterlngh
Joined Apr 2012
3,638 Posts
Hi again.

For some reason HK greatly understates the performance. They say that maximum current is 10 amps while other vendors say 25 amps. I have pushed mine close to 30 amps and 300 watts for brief bursts with no ll effects. Here's a link to the Keda spec sheet.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...46X7528X52.JPG

Cheers!
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh