OpenTX University Staff
United States, DE, Bear
Joined Apr 2007
3,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by javitu View Post
Are you talking to me?

Thats really a good idea... sorry for being so new
No need to apologize. We are all just trying to help each other.
maguro is online now Find More Posts by maguro
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2016, 02:35 PM
Find More Posts by velez
lapsus clavis
Joined Jun 2015
396 Posts
Hi, anybody knows whatīs the "glue" used to keep the antenna connectors firm on the Receiverīs PCB?

Thanks in advance
velez is online now Find More Posts by velez
Old Jan 07, 2016, 02:41 PM
Find More Posts by maguro
OpenTX University Staff
United States, DE, Bear
Joined Apr 2007
3,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by velez View Post
Hi, anybody knows whatīs the "glue" used to keep the antenna connectors firm on the Receiverīs PCB?

Thanks in advance
I don't know that anyone knows what the glue is, but regular hot melt glue works fine to fix replacement antennas in place. Alcohol works fine to remove the glue.
Old Jan 07, 2016, 02:43 PM
Find More Posts by velez
lapsus clavis
Joined Jun 2015
396 Posts
Thanks maguro.

I was looking for the exact glue on Google and read that hot glue was not a good long term solution, they recommended Neutral Cure Silicone Rubber. But that thing doesnīt look anything like the brown stuff the FrSky Antennas use.
Old Jan 07, 2016, 03:23 PM
Find More Posts by maguro
OpenTX University Staff
United States, DE, Bear
Joined Apr 2007
3,133 Posts
Quote:
Thanks maguro.

I was looking for the exact glue on Google and read that hot glue was not a good long term solution, they recommended Neutral Cure Silicone Rubber. But that thing doesnīt look anything like the brown stuff the FrSky Antennas use.
That is because they use an industrial glue, something not necessarily available to us.
Old Jan 07, 2016, 08:22 PM
Find More Posts by RCWASP
Learning to fly.......FAST!!
Australia, VIC, Bentleigh East
Joined Mar 2013
2,000 Posts
What about liquid electrical tape?
RCWASP is offline Find More Posts by RCWASP
Old Jan 07, 2016, 09:04 PM
Find More Posts by velez
lapsus clavis
Joined Jun 2015
396 Posts
Iīm gonna go with epoxy. Thanks guys
Old Jan 08, 2016, 03:09 AM
Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
United Kingdom, Horbury
Joined Oct 2007
7,488 Posts
Quote:
Iīm gonna go with epoxy. Thanks guys
If you use epoxy you may struggle to get it off again should you need to change antenna.
The physical connection of these sockets is pretty strong if fitted properly so a little hot glue is good enough, its really just a extra precaution.
nigelsheffield is offline Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Jan 08, 2016, 05:36 PM
Find More Posts by evadeom
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Dec 2005
21 Posts
Newby Question

Hi. I'm planning to get the Taranis transmitter and X4rsb receiver. I'm shopping for servos, 4 to be exact. Do I need to stick with Frsky servos or can I use other brands. Will analog Dymond d47s work? How about KST x08? Is there some document that will show how servos, receiver, battery all wire up? Appreciate your help.
evadeom is offline Find More Posts by evadeom
Old Jan 09, 2016, 03:55 AM
Find More Posts by Tomkfly
United Kingdom, England, Birkenhead
Joined Jan 2013
3,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evadeom View Post
Hi. I'm planning to get the Taranis transmitter and X4rsb receiver. I'm shopping for servos, 4 to be exact. Do I need to stick with Frsky servos or can I use other brands. Will analog Dymond d47s work? How about KST x08? Is there some document that will show how servos, receiver, battery all wire up? Appreciate your help.
Are you aware that the X4RSB only has pins for 3 channels? The 4 set of pins is reserved for SBUS. There are 16 SBUS channels, so if you want 4 channels you would need to use at least a SBUS servo for the 4th channel and you would also need a programmer to set the channel number, as the servo will be set to CH1 by default. Or you could use an SBUS decoder which lets you use up to 4 Normal servos per decoder and you can use up to 4 decoder so to give 16 channels. You also would need a programmer to programme the decoder if using more than one, as they come programmed to use channels 1-4. It is also advisable to use digital servos with SBUS.
The X4R without the SB on the end is a 4 ch receiver and is suitable for most makes of servo. ( no experiance of the ones you ask about, but if they are std types they should be okay). There is also alternative firmware you can burn to the Std X4R which allows you to use cppm, using CH 1 , mainly used for Multicopter controllers.
Tom
Tomkfly is offline Find More Posts by Tomkfly
Old Jan 09, 2016, 10:10 AM
Joined Dec 2005
21 Posts
Thanks for the explanation Tom. Sounds complicated with the programming and a programmer I am not. Sounds like X4R - 4 is the way to go. I appreciate your help.
Old Jan 09, 2016, 01:06 PM
Find More Posts by Tomkfly
United Kingdom, England, Birkenhead
Joined Jan 2013
3,423 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the explanation Tom. Sounds complicated with the programming and a programmer I am not. Sounds like X4R - 4 is the way to go. I appreciate your help.
The programmer is a simple tool, just selects the channels, and is very easy to use, but if you only want four channels, then the std X4R is the best option.

Tom
Tomkfly is offline Find More Posts by Tomkfly
Last edited by Tomkfly; Jan 09, 2016 at 04:09 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 01:29 AM
Joined Dec 2005
21 Posts
Thanks again Tom. Looks like X4R is my best option. 4 servos plus vario and a battery voltage sensor should be everything I can think of now that I'll need.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 08:31 AM
Find More Posts by Jet_Flyer
AKA 8178
Joined May 2004
3,231 Posts
Quote:
Thanks again Tom. Looks like X4R is my best option. 4 servos plus vario and a battery voltage sensor should be everything I can think of now that I'll need.
I have four X4Rs (white case) that I use in my smaller four channel aircraft.

If you buy the X4R from Aloft Hobbies they have $.99 22AWG servo connectors that I buy with it to make a power connection to the receiver rather than a Y cable on one of the ports.

First I range check the receiver to make sure everything works. Then I remove the case and cut a notch in the side of the case for the power wire. Then I cut the end of the 22AWG servo connector and solder the sort piece to the back side of the + and - servo connector inside the case. Red wire on + and black on -.

Then I replace the case and slide the heat shrink back on over the case.

Mike
Jet_Flyer is online now Find More Posts by Jet_Flyer
Old Jan 10, 2016, 08:34 AM
Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
United Kingdom, Horbury
Joined Oct 2007
7,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet_Flyer View Post
I have four X4Rs (white case) that I use in my smaller four channel aircraft.

If you buy the X4R from Aloft Hobbies they have $.99 22AWG servo connectors that I buy with it to make a power connection to the receiver rather than a Y cable on one of the ports.

First I range check the receiver to make sure everything works. Then I remove the case and cut a notch in the side of the case for the power wire. Then I cut the end of the 22AWG servo connector and solder the sort piece to the back side of the + and - servo connector inside the case. Red wire on + and black on -.

Then I replace the case and slide the heat shrink back on over the case.

Mike
You could also get s.bus feed to that connector, either inverted or none inverted.
nigelsheffield is offline Find More Posts by nigelsheffield