Old Jun 21, 2013, 05:38 PM
Find More Posts by GBLynden
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
4,962 Posts
Discussion
Basic Advice for Beginning RC Heli Pilots

All that I have to say is stick with it.

This was me the day I got my first heli:
E-flight Blade MCX2 - Learning to fly lol (0 min 37 sec)

Now this is the most recent video of me flying the same heli:
E-Flight Blade MCX2 Ultra Micro Helicopter in Living Room (6 min 42 sec)

You can see that the level of skill is up huge and I fly mostly RC planes. The point of this thread is that at first it can be REALLY hard to make it work right. Just like with riding a bike, it just clicks one day and you are off and flying.

I hope this helps you guys!

GB
GBLynden is offline Find More Posts by GBLynden
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2013, 08:00 PM
Find More Posts by Hajile
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
5,736 Posts
Not bad for two weeks. That's all there is to it actually. Practice... practice... practice...

Sure it's more difficult than planes, but you get more flight hours since you can fly anywhere, any time. You don't have to rush through the lessons because even with just the basics, you'll pile on so many hours your skill level will move up without increasing the relative difficulty.

If i had a plane i'd only be able to fly once a week. With the helicopter, i was able to fly in the parking lot that's bordered by trees and crisscrossed by lighting cables.

Practice... practice... practice...
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
Old Jun 23, 2013, 01:00 PM
Find More Posts by Flying Pitcher
I autocorrect twice now.
Joined Apr 2013
4,833 Posts
i wonder if i should try that with my 450 in the living room cool flying, i like the first one, i wish my heli had that lighting. hehe, poor camera, first thing to be in the way. i'm so afraid to do any kind of forward or any flight on my heli, i just hover for now.

ALTHOUGH...i think i did a flight one time...i posted it here once i believe, i was trying side hover and lost orientation, so when i input the controls and it was doing something else, i hit throttle and it flew many feet up and behind me and behind my house, i controllably panicked and hit forward tilt and it appeared like 20 feet to the left again in my sight heading for the tree, so i pitched up and slowly went into "hover" and began coming down and landed.

sorry, i just feel like a man every time i recall that moment.scary. fhew, i wish i had that on video..

i like your machine and your flying too, i like the WHOOSHING by the camera!!!!, i guess nothing better that your heli when flying indoors or when weather is bad. here in florida, meh, pick any day and you're good to fly !!!
Flying Pitcher is offline Find More Posts by Flying Pitcher
Old Jun 23, 2013, 02:48 PM
Find More Posts by Switchy
Zipties and Velcro
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Mar 2013
595 Posts
Very good man. I like the lighting too. Next step pick up something like a V959 quad and start with that. A different world and will help sharpen those skills.
Switchy is offline Find More Posts by Switchy
Old Jun 23, 2013, 02:49 PM
Find More Posts by Switchy
Zipties and Velcro
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Mar 2013
595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pitcher View Post
i wonder if i should try that with my 450 in the living room cool flying, i like the first one, i wish my heli had that lighting. hehe, poor camera, first thing to be in the way. i'm so afraid to do any kind of forward or any flight on my heli, i just hover for now.

ALTHOUGH...i think i did a flight one time...i posted it here once i believe, i was trying side hover and lost orientation, so when i input the controls and it was doing something else, i hit throttle and it flew many feet up and behind me and behind my house, i controllably panicked and hit forward tilt and it appeared like 20 feet to the left again in my sight heading for the tree, so i pitched up and slowly went into "hover" and began coming down and landed.

sorry, i just feel like a man every time i recall that moment.scary. fhew, i wish i had that on video..

i like your machine and your flying too, i like the WHOOSHING by the camera!!!!, i guess nothing better that your heli when flying indoors or when weather is bad. here in florida, meh, pick any day and you're good to fly !!!
I dont think I would try that with your 450
Switchy is offline Find More Posts by Switchy
Old Jun 25, 2013, 02:52 AM
I am GBLynden
Joined Mar 2011
4,962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pitcher View Post

No 450 flying in your living room.......please good sir!
Old Jun 25, 2013, 08:30 PM
Find More Posts by satgod
United States, KY, Hardin
Joined Jun 2011
727 Posts
I taught a friend of mine with a phoenix sim and a mcpx
he learned all the basics and was flying simple circuits in less than 2 months and has now upgraded to a 450

I have hovered my 600 in the living room, I might be a little nuts or i'm seriously hooked on heli's
satgod is offline Find More Posts by satgod
Old Jun 26, 2013, 12:50 AM
I am GBLynden
Joined Mar 2011
4,962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by satgod View Post
he learned all the basics and was flying simple circuits in less than 2 months and has now upgraded to a 450

I have hovered my 600 in the living room, I might be a little nuts or i'm seriously hooked on heli's
I think it is a bit of both, but great job helping out your friend! That is a big step up that quickly.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 01:21 AM
Find More Posts by Hajile
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
5,736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by satgod View Post

I credit that with having someone to coach him in person. I've learned by myself and I got the flight sim before the CP heli and it was no help. It was better for me learning to hover a physical helicopter (GeniusCP) since I was able to watch it more carefully and understand what it's doing/about to do, than on the sim.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
Old Jun 26, 2013, 02:17 AM
Find More Posts by Essex2visuvesi
United Kingdom, England, Witham
Joined Feb 2011
899 Posts
also the butt clenches more when flying a real RC heli than a sim
Essex2visuvesi is offline Find More Posts by Essex2visuvesi
Old Jun 26, 2013, 07:47 AM
Find More Posts by freezywilly
Joined Jan 2012
521 Posts
Hajile has a good point. I also have the top sims but now rarely use them. By using a real heli you find out quickly what you have to work on and where your weak points are. CaptJac goes to great lenghts to teach proper setup on a sim. The stock sim leads your to many false
impressions of the heli flying characteristics..
freezywilly is offline Find More Posts by freezywilly
Old Jun 27, 2013, 03:10 AM
I am GBLynden
Joined Mar 2011
4,962 Posts
Sims are a tool for sure, but a tool that needs to be used wisely. I agree that they can be misleading and give a false sense of comfort if the big picture is not fully understood.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 01:17 AM
I am GBLynden
Joined Mar 2011
4,962 Posts
Bump for the new crop of RC heli noobs.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 03:30 PM
I am GBLynden
Joined Mar 2011
4,962 Posts
I haven't flown my MCX2 much the past few months, so this was a fun change of pace while I tested out my new camera:
E-Flite Blade MCX2 Ultra Micro Helicopter Flight Using Sony HDR CX290 Handycam (2 min 12 sec)
Old Feb 11, 2014, 09:36 PM
I am GBLynden
Joined Mar 2011
4,962 Posts
Another bump since we are getting closer and closer to flying season!