New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 08, 2012, 11:05 PM
Find More Posts by jofro
Joined Jan 2010
3,687 Posts
Mini-Review
"STUMAX90" powered delta foamy-now under new controls.

The wind has gone, kangaroos are out, great time to fly deltas. Enjoy the great video footage and what a sound, J.
jofro is offline Find More Posts by jofro
Last edited by jofro; Yesterday at 03:00 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2012, 11:23 PM
Find More Posts by av8ersteve
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofro View Post
The wind has gone, kangaroos are out, great time to fly deltas. Enjoy the great video footage and what a sound, J.
looks great! where's the vid? I wana hear!
av8ersteve is offline Find More Posts by av8ersteve
Old Nov 08, 2012, 11:44 PM
Find More Posts by jofro
Joined Jan 2010
3,687 Posts
Here we go, very gloomy today, flying in the light drizzle, J.
P1050204 (2 min 51 sec)
Old Nov 09, 2012, 11:30 AM
Find More Posts by falcon5
Capt. Z
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2004
2,695 Posts
Your fan is vibrating. You may need to loosen all four grub screws on the rotor and re tighten in the order Stu suggests. A Stu fan should not sound like that.
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:58 PM
Find More Posts by jofro
Joined Jan 2010
3,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon5 View Post
Your fan is vibrating. You may need to loosen all four grub screws on the rotor and re tighten in the order Stu suggests. A Stu fan should not sound like that.
I'm glad you enjoyed watching my video, J.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:54 AM
Find More Posts by MRGTX
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,964 Posts
Whoa, great looking plane. The paint job is super sharp.
Nice work. I will definitely check out the video when I'm not at work.

Quote:
I'm glad you enjoyed watching my video, J.
I think he was trying to be helpful...the RC hobby doesn't necessarily demand tact.
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:23 PM
Find More Posts by jofro
Joined Jan 2010
3,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGTX View Post
Whoa, great looking plane. The paint job is super sharp.
Nice work. I will definitely check out the video when I'm not at work.

I think he was trying to be helpful...the RC hobby doesn't necessarily demand tact.
Thanks for your Compl. When you design and build model that performs as seen in the vid. you don't fiddle, screw or mess around with, just enjoy flying it. Last thing I need is some SA commentary, J.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:02 PM
Find More Posts by falcon5
Capt. Z
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2004
2,695 Posts
Actually itís an easy fix, mine was doing the same thing and sounded exactly like yours in the video. I just loosened the four grub screws and re tightened them as explained in the Stumax manual and man it made such a big difference in the smoothness and sound of the fan. Well worth the very little effort IMHO. But hey if your happy with it, no worries.
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:19 AM
Find More Posts by MRGTX
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,964 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for your Compl. When you design and build model that performs as seen in the vid. you don't fiddle, screw or mess around with, just enjoy flying it. Last thing I need is some SA commentary, J.
At least you're modest!
But yeah...it's a one of a kind, made by your own hands and it seems to fly extremely well. You should be proud of that.

I have to ask- how did you determine where to place the CG on a scratch-built design like that? It appears to be balanced perfectly.
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:08 PM
Find More Posts by jofro
Joined Jan 2010
3,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGTX View Post
At least you're modest!
But yeah...it's a one of a kind, made by your own hands and it seems to fly extremely well. You should be proud of that.

I have to ask- how did you determine where to place the CG on a scratch-built design like that? It appears to be balanced perfectly.
Hi, yes it is very rewarding when model performs like that after all the work. With these designes I go back many years starting on tiny 55-64-70mm+units, learning from each. With CoG it's always challenge, you never know till you actually fly it as every model is different. This particular model was only my prototype before I built 25% larger "Wren44G" turbine powered one last year. Unfortunatelly slightly underpowered especially taking off the grass so extreme care must be taken during rotation, Regards Joe. (never mind modesty, I'm more into honesty)
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:12 PM
Find More Posts by jofro
Joined Jan 2010
3,687 Posts
I'm slightly puzzled why my turbine powered foamy (left) have a tendency to rock its wing tips during flight and identical 25% smaller EDF proto is solid as a rock. I wonder if the 190000+RPM motor torque has anything to do with it. I'm going to cut few inches off the w/tips and fit little winglets to see if it makes any difference before I try to instal stab. gyro, J.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:09 AM
Find More Posts by jofro
Joined Jan 2010
3,687 Posts
Oh boy, this SM90 is smooth, bit of aero routine today, John doing great video job, almost no sound of the power unit, see the great footage next.
"WREN44G" powered foamy, after redesigning my Elevons with new more streamline TE, I re-maiden it today and it's a different model, no gyro needed now! J.

dnes (3 min 41 sec)
Last edited by jofro; Nov 22, 2012 at 03:25 AM. Reason: video
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:39 PM
Find More Posts by jofro
Joined Jan 2010
3,687 Posts
Curently on drawing board is my latest design foamy, that will be powered by "PST600R" turbine and this Stumax powered prototype is coming very handy as my new test bed. Cuttig out my wing tips and installing winglets will give me great picture about performance of this new project, J.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:17 AM
Find More Posts by jofro
Joined Jan 2010
3,687 Posts
Very interesting, after removal 2/1/2 inches from my wing tips and replacing them with small winglets I have found quite a difference. Quite a dramatic balloning effect, almost needed full down trim to level it out the first flight. Also more responsive controls as the air stream between the fuse and the winglets becomes more direct over the Elevon surface. This was probably also the reason why I had such horrendous maiden with my "Triptych" on which I have installed winglets for the first time. Another good lesson in the pocket, J.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:55 PM
Find More Posts by jofro
Joined Jan 2010
3,687 Posts
My latest experiment with this "Stumax" powered prototype is fitting fixed kennards to see how it will affect CofG so it will give me some guide to install kennards on my latest "Touch of magenta" project with rather very long and sleek nose then some of my other designs. They have managed to slow down landings by 70km/h with aded kennards on "TU-144" so it will be interesting to see my results after few test flights, Joe.