New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 11, 2015, 05:53 PM
Find More Posts by leo.geo
Joined Sep 2011
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin Power View Post
Hi Leo.

This has been one of the few planes that I own that I have not felt the need to upgrade anything.

To me, it just about has perfect power for a warbird, and even on 3 cells it has a fair whack of speed.

I run Zippy Compact 4000mah 3s 25c batteries in mine. Those batteries fit perfectly in the battery bay without modification.

I think even with the 4000mah battery, I still needed a bit of nose weight to get the CG right. Please be aware that the original manuals stated the wrong CG, so don't by that. Use the forum search tool, and you will find the information you need from this thread.

Good luck. This really is an awesome flying plane.

I have never had a nose over with this plane. That is flying from paved/tarmac areas. I gather that you are landing on grass? You could always add more rake to the landing gear that often makes a huge difference.
Thanks for the info mate, what sort of flight time are u looking at from a 4000mah 3s? Anyone use stock setup with 4s?
leo.geo is offline Find More Posts by leo.geo
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2015, 09:29 PM
Find More Posts by IfIHadWings
Eat, Fly, Dream, Repeat...
United States, GA, Jefferson
Joined Jun 2012
1,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leo.geo View Post
hi guys, just picked up one of these, this is a massive thread!! can you kind people give me a run down of info for this bird?

upgrades or mods??

4s stock capable??

mah batt size ranges up to???

many thanks pilots
LG....it's a great bird! My HH was a BNF that came with an Eflite 3s/3200 that works great. My other go-to battery for this model is a Zippy Compact 3s/3700. IMO it doesn't need 4s. Over time I have moved the battery placement aft with the sweet spot being ~1" from the Rx position in the BNF. The rearward battery coupled with #4 washers placed under the LG's rear mounting screws have all but eliminated nose overs. That being said, I agree 100% with others regarding practice, practice, practice. At one time, I had a number of spare OEM Eflite and APC 12x6 props just for this plane because I was breaking them pretty regular. My original spinner is battle-worn from kissing asphalt but I found a spare at my LHS so I'll replace it one day. You will notice that the ESC gets warm...some say you need to route air to it while others point out the heat simply means the sink is doing its job. I routed some air to the interior and created a venturi to draw the air out...it works on the bench so I assume it is making some difference in the air. Go for the Eflite retracts with the Eflite pre-bent struts if you can find them. Many, including me, have gone with other set ups but the Eflite combo works best. Add some Dave Brown wheels (I think they are 2.75"...there are photos in this forum)....makes landings on asphalt very sweet. Hope this helps....enjoy!

Tim
IfIHadWings is online now Find More Posts by IfIHadWings
Old Nov 13, 2015, 12:30 PM
Find More Posts by Merlin Power
Just throw it up!
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jul 2011
1,602 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the info mate, what sort of flight time are u looking at from a 4000mah 3s? Anyone use stock setup with 4s?
Due to the high KV motor, I find that I need to limit my timer to 5 mins. I am the type of person who tends to fly with heavy throttle use, so I am sure there is some people who fly for longer.
Merlin Power is offline Find More Posts by Merlin Power
Old Jan 21, 2016, 12:01 PM
Find More Posts by Sophisticat
United Kingdom, Northern Ireland, Newtownards
Joined Mar 2012
196 Posts
I agree, this plane flies fine on 3S.
I did want to increase my flight time and spotted these batteries; http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking...ck_Mono1_.html
I bought 3 and tried them yesterday. They fit the Hurricane battery bay with some mm to spare. The weight is similar and no CoG change.
They seemed to have much more power on tap than the stock E-flite battery. Flight times were about 7 mins at and just over half throttle. A little warmer on landing (20C appx., ambient was 8C).
They are quite expensive, but I'd pay similar for a weighty high C Overlander which are probably the best I'd normally see.
So far, I'm pleased with them.
Sophisticat is offline Find More Posts by Sophisticat
Old Jan 21, 2016, 12:24 PM
Find More Posts by Coot83
You haz hurricane?
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Jun 2012
1,350 Posts
Quote:
hi guys, just picked up one of these, this is a massive thread!! can you kind people give me a run down of info for this bird?

upgrades or mods??

4s stock capable??

mah batt size ranges up to???

many thanks pilots
I bought my hurricane back when they were sold in stores. My LHS told me to go with 4s with it as they said it flew happier on 4s.

If you do go 4s, either watch your throttle control or consider getting an 80 amp esc. The stock ESC will get hot with 4s in there after a few minutes. Mine on 4s goes fast enough to keep you on your toes. I have never flown a hurricane on 3s so I cant really compare what it flies like. I fly with a 4s 3300 battery pack.

It has nice snappy characteristics on 4s. Funny thing is this was my first real foamy that I learned to fly with throttle landings. At a minimum land this bird with 10-20% throttle. She can stall if you don't.

Coot
Coot83 is online now Find More Posts by Coot83
Last edited by Coot83; Jan 21, 2016 at 12:29 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 01:40 PM
Find More Posts by markeMark
markemark
United Kingdom, Wales, Pontypridd
Joined Apr 2013
225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coot83 View Post
I bought my hurricane back when they were sold in stores. My LHS told me to go with 4s with it as they said it flew happier on 4s.

If you do go 4s, either watch your throttle control or consider getting an 80 amp esc. The stock ESC will get hot with 4s in there after a few minutes. Mine on 4s goes fast enough to keep you on your toes. I have never flown a hurricane on 3s so I cant really compare what it flies like. I fly with a 4s 3300 battery pack.

It has nice snappy characteristics on 4s. Funny thing is this was my first real foamy that I learned to fly with throttle landings. At a minimum land this bird with 10-20% throttle. She can stall if you don't.

Coot
I have two of these, one which I fly regularly and one which has had just a couple of flights to get it properly trimmed. Must have had well over 100 flights with my original one and everything still working as well as the day I bought it. Everything is stock, and the only thing I've ever had to replace is one prop after a nose over. I have quite a few other E Flite models including a couple of the recent Mustangs and the Thunderbolt released late last year. They are good planes, but I think this is easily the best of the lot. It's a quality plane that flies well and looks even better.
markeMark is offline Find More Posts by markeMark
Old Jan 21, 2016, 01:44 PM
Find More Posts by Coot83
You haz hurricane?
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Jun 2012
1,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markeMark View Post
I have two of these, one which I fly regularly and one which has had just a couple of flights to get it properly trimmed. Must have had well over 100 flights with my original one and everything still working as well as the day I bought it. Everything is stock, and the only thing I've ever had to replace is one prop after a nose over. I have quite a few other E Flite models including a couple of the recent Mustangs and the Thunderbolt released late last year. They are good planes, but I think this is easily the best of the lot. It's a quality plane that flies well and looks even better.
Couldn't of put it better myself. I have a new PNP still in the box in case my hurricane ever loses signal and goes into the abyss...happened once before. Agreed though, this is my fav eflite plane by far. Its almost hard to believe it is an eflite plane just because of the different aspects it has to it.

Coot
Coot83 is online now Find More Posts by Coot83
Old Jan 23, 2016, 07:56 AM
Find More Posts by markeMark
markemark
United Kingdom, Wales, Pontypridd
Joined Apr 2013
225 Posts
Went through four batteries this morning and no nose overs despite our uneven grassy runway. Three washers under each of the screws at the rear of the retracts made a massive difference to my landings. I seem to land without nosing overs nine times out of ten. Certainly worth persevering with this plane, and has now become my favourite model to fly.
markeMark is offline Find More Posts by markeMark