New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 10, 2016, 12:19 PM
Find More Posts by Ken Myers
Commerce Township, MI
Joined Aug 2001
5,079 Posts
Thank you Wayne.

That may have been my post in a different thread, sorry for the repetition, but I'd not done as many packs at that time, and didn't notice what appeared to be a pattern, but I'll take your word that it just might be coincidental.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Ken
Ken Myers is offline Find More Posts by Ken Myers
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2016, 01:23 PM
Find More Posts by Wayne Giles
Rugby, UK
Joined Feb 2007
1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hethjo View Post
Thanks Chuck, John and Wayne.

Why I wanted confirmation, is I measured at 21.8 degrees, a Gens Ace 1300mA 25C at 9.24, 9.72 and 9.52 and a Tattu 1300mA 45C at 9.64, 10.00 and 9.48. That say to me that the C rating for both are essentially the same, even though the Tattu is supposed to be 45C.

These are brand new batteries, not used at all.

I curious, has anyone seen a 3S 5000mA that lives up to its C rating? I bought a 25C and measured only 18C.

Hennie
Hennie,

It could be that the GensAce and the Tattu are the same cells; you never know in the lipo world. The figures are pretty good and they should drop a little after the first few cycles.

Re the 5000mAh question, I bought 4 off 5000 3S 20C Turnigy Blue packs about 3 years ago to use on an electric bike and now use them to drive the test and calibration rig for the ESR Meter. I have been using one pack for well over 2 years and I agree that it did not get a hard life on the bike @ about 5C - 8C discharges but it has always shown extremely well on the meter ratings.
I put it in a temperate controlled enclosure today @25*C and soaked it for a couple of hours and then put it on an ESR Analysis meter and Cell Mode results are:-

2.32m.ohms 23C
2.40m.ohms 22C
2.28m.ohms 23C
2.28m.ohms 23C
2.28m.ohms 23C
2.32m.ohms 23C

I reckon that is pretty impressive for a 3 year old, admittedly lightly used, 20C rated pack bearing in mind that the Lipotool calculator is pretty conservative.

I know the pack off by heart and that slightly weaker cell 2 is a good test to ensure that the meter on test always picks it out.

If you can accept HK's customer "service", then Turnigy Blue lipos have been a good bet over the years. Having said that they could have just changed the cell supplier, but who knows in the Lipo Lottery world.

Wayne
Wayne Giles is online now Find More Posts by Wayne Giles
Old Feb 24, 2016, 03:48 AM
Find More Posts by Vedak
United States, CA, Carson
Joined Feb 2016
48 Posts
Ordered myself one via ProgressiveRC. Noticed a new update- looks like this one is rated 1-6s with 11-12,000mah capacity according to the photo.

Glad you designed this Wayne, I was initially going to pick up the Celllog. Prior to doing any research, I had thought to myself "how can a box with one button on it cost so much?!". Little did I know the impressive specs and it's abilities, glad I did my research. Because I would have ended up with the Cellog, thinking I made the best purchase. Happy that is not the case.

Looking forward to trying it out, as I have a few suspect Lipos. Should be at my doorsteps tomorrow. My application will be with RC Cars, whereas from what I have seen- about 90% of the folks here are flying. Hope it suits my application as well as it has for the RC Plane guys.
Vedak is offline Find More Posts by Vedak
Old Feb 24, 2016, 04:38 AM
Find More Posts by jj604
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
9,374 Posts
Wayne's a real cheapskate. The original had a button AND a switch so you could select pack or cells. Now it does it all automatically for you. He claims it makes it more convenient but I'm betting he was just trying to save money.

BTW: There used to be a very respected line of British HiFi Audio amplifiers back in the day when the Japanese were adding buttons and switches like measles to their units. If I recall it had one switch labelled "On/Off"and a knob labelled "Louder".

It couldn't make you feel you were listening to the Berlin Philharmonic recorded at the bottom of a coal mine or at the top of a mountain. The one thing it did do well was produce absolutely superb sound.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedak View Post
Glad you designed this Wayne, I was initially going to pick up the Celllog. Prior to doing any research, I had thought to myself "how can a box with one button on it cost so much?!". Little did I know the impressive specs and it's abilities, glad I did my research. Because I would have ended up with the Cellog, thinking I made the best purchase. Happy that is not the case.
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Feb 24, 2016, 05:59 AM
Find More Posts by Vedak
Joined Feb 2016
48 Posts
Haha thanks for that John. I am quite sure I will be pleased with the purchase. While I'm no electrical savvy individual, I do enjoy learning the finer details of this great hobby.

Closest I've gotten to better than average audio, has been hifiman in ear monitors and audiotechica muffs. Can't say for sure I would have pursued it more, my hearing is not so great. But the gear certainly looked cool.

Hopefully someday I can gather the courage to pick up a heli or plane. It's where my interest began as a kid, ended up with rc cars because my dad didn't think I could handle an rc helicopter at the age of 11.

Back on topic, I am very interested in seeing what kind of IR my packs have. One of which is several years old, but continues to perform well, albeit not like new. While I'm also in the process of dealing with bad batteries from an eBay order. Replaced for a second time, and now the seller hasn't responded in close to two weeks.

This whole time I had been a fool, thinking the insane C ratings were true. Glad I stumbled upon the thread, very informative.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 06:27 AM
Find More Posts by ve3scp
VE3SCP
Joined Feb 2016
1 Posts
I received my ESR meter on Monday. Only 4 days from the UK to Canada. The meter was very well packaged wrapped in plenty of bubble wrap in a snug proper fitting box. Upon unwrapping the unit, the test leads were nicely tapped to the meter and the meter was in pristine shape. There was a nice instruction manual with easy to understand instructions.

Within minutes I was testing my collection of 1S and 3S packs. It was very informative information and confirmed my suspicions about some iffy lipos. I was able to quickly sort them out.

This is a great tool for anyone wanting to know whats going on inside their lipo batteries. Thank you Wayne for this great little meter.
ve3scp is offline Find More Posts by ve3scp
Old Feb 24, 2016, 05:06 PM
Rugby, UK
Joined Feb 2007
1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
Wayne's a real cheapskate. The original had a button AND a switch so you could select pack or cells. Now it does it all automatically for you. He claims it makes it more convenient but I'm betting he was just trying to save money.

John
John,

You're not that far off; actually it was wear on my thumb trying to insert the switches into the PCB rather than money which made me initially wonder if I could get rid of the switch.
All the credit for making a single button do so much must go to Phil_G who designed all the software; all I had to do was to give him a list of operations that it had to carry out.

Thanks for kind words Scott and Vedak, I hope you find your meters useful.

Wayne
Old Feb 24, 2016, 11:19 PM
Find More Posts by Vedak
Joined Feb 2016
48 Posts
Wayne,

Were there any major changes between the 100-12,000mah model progressive has pictured on their site, vs the normal 100-10,000mah?

I was curious after ordering the 100-12,000 and noticing a price increase, but ended up receiving the 100-10,000 model. Tested out today though, found it very useful.

Also, do connector convertors add much to the resistance? 90% of my packs are Traxxas connectors, and some are deans. Some future higher amp applications will be on EC5 connectors. I was debating on soldering on a traxxas connector in place of the supplied deans, but wasn't sure if it would throw off calibration.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 12:00 AM
Find More Posts by jj604
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
9,374 Posts
Vedak, it is still very early morning in England and I am sure Wayne is asleep but in the meantime for info.

The meter is unaffected by adapters in the main leads because it uses the "4 wire" or Kelvin method to measure the internal resistance.

It reads all voltages at virtually zero current through the balance connector. So within reason small contact resistances there have no effect.

The circuit adjusts the load current pulse to be correct in Amps so it does not matter if there is some additional adapter resistance in the power leads. The current will be adjusted to be the correct value automatically.

John
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Feb 25, 2016, 02:04 AM
Find More Posts by Vedak
Joined Feb 2016
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
Vedak, it is still very early morning in England and I am sure Wayne is asleep but in the meantime for info.

The meter is unaffected by adapters in the main leads because it uses the "4 wire" or Kelvin method to measure the internal resistance.

It reads all voltages at virtually zero current through the balance connector. So within reason small contact resistances there have no effect.

The circuit adjusts the load current pulse to be correct in Amps so it does not matter if there is some additional adapter resistance in the power leads. The current will be adjusted to be the correct value automatically.

John
Thanks John!

I'm sure my question has been asked several times over, in fact I remember seeing the questions a few times in this very thread. For some reason my brain didn't absorb that info.

I feel like a nerd with this new tool!
Old Feb 25, 2016, 04:10 AM
Rugby, UK
Joined Feb 2007
1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedak View Post
Wayne,

Were there any major changes between the 100-12,000mah model progressive has pictured on their site, vs the normal 100-10,000mah?

I was curious after ordering the 100-12,000 and noticing a price increase, but ended up receiving the 100-10,000 model. Tested out today though, found it very useful.

Also, do connector convertors add much to the resistance? 90% of my packs are Traxxas connectors, and some are deans. Some future higher amp applications will be on EC5 connectors. I was debating on soldering on a traxxas connector in place of the supplied deans, but wasn't sure if it would throw off calibration.
Vedak,
The only major change between the 12000mAh version and the 10,000mAh version is the label!

The truth is that I made bog of it by changing the spec without sufficient thought.

Someone asked me if it was possible to use the meter to measure a 10.600mAh pack. It is, so I just increased the limit on the label without thinking it through. I have now reverted to 100 - 10,000mAh.

The situation is that there is no upper limit to the capacity of the pack that the meter will read IR values.

The on board PIC, however, limits the level of cell capacity that can be entered into the memory when reading max current and alpha C to10,000mAh maximum.
Apologies for that; I have now made a note to cover this point in the latest instruction manual.

John is correct about any extra resistance in the power leads; it just adds to the 'Pack' reading but has no effect whatever on the 'Cell' readings.

Wayne
Old Feb 25, 2016, 07:23 AM
Find More Posts by Vedak
Joined Feb 2016
48 Posts
Wayne,

Thanks for the clarification on the 12k vs 10k. While I didn't feel cheated, it did throw me off. It's like ordering a two pizzas, but one had an extra pepperoni.

Looking forward to using this often, now if only I had more batteries to test.

It's smaller and lighter than I had expected also, which is great. Very pleasant to use, much easier than I thought it would be too. I'm going to have to raid a buddies house just to test his lipos. It's like having a new hammer, I want more excuses yo use it.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 05:07 AM
Find More Posts by silver surfer1
Croatia, City of Zagreb, Zagreb
Joined Mar 2012
125 Posts
Hello,sorry i didn't read thru thread maybe answer is there....can i somehow measure 4S 16Ah 15C with this?if not,is there any other method except chargers?
silver surfer1 is offline Find More Posts by silver surfer1
Old Mar 11, 2016, 06:14 AM
Rugby, UK
Joined Feb 2007
1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver surfer1 View Post
Hello,sorry i didn't read thru thread maybe answer is there....can i somehow measure 4S 16Ah 15C with this?if not,is there any other method except chargers?
Yes, There is no problem in measuring a 4S 16AH 15C lipo with the standard meter.
There is no real upper limit to the lipo capacity that it will measure.. It will read the charge state and IR of each cell (assuming you have access to the balance connector). The memory for using the Lipotool in the meter is limited to 10 Ah, but that is the only limitation.
You can still put the IR result into the on line Lipotool to get the result.
Alternatively you can put 8Ah into the memory and multiply the max current result by the square root 2 ie 1.41.

Wayne

Wayne
Old Mar 13, 2016, 03:13 AM
Find More Posts by itsme2
United States, TN, Maryville
Joined Mar 2011
1,639 Posts
Does the $19.99 upgrade kit installation result in the upgraded meter providing all of the test readings, without exception, of the new version meter?

Thank you.
itsme2 is offline Find More Posts by itsme2