SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 15, 2014, 12:39 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,469 Posts
Discussion
Socketheads vs Shanked

I'm constantly testing and modifying my quads. My first sets were the SK450 and Deadcat and i've crashed, torn down, and rebuilt them more times than i could count.

Then i got other frames like the flamewheel and rctimer that used the shanked screws, and after just a couple of rebuilds, the hex hole in them is stripped and difficult to catch on the screwdriver. Different stores, different frames, different screw packs. I don't know what these are called so i'll just call them shanked.

Sockethead

Shanked

I also got a TBS frame from someone and when i tried taking it apart for cleaning, i had to use pliers because almost all of the hex holes were now rounded off.

Would i have any issues with using regular socket heads instead? They don't fit the hole as well since they don't have shims, but i'm concerned about vibrations since i know what happens when arms aren't screwed in tight. And socket heads don't seem to get rounded off anywhere near as often as the shanked.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2014, 07:25 AM
Joined Nov 2014
127 Posts
It's called shoulder bolts. This one have particularly short shoulder.
You need at least 8.8 class bolts (hardened). This is metric designation, America uses other classification.
Blackjack160 is offline Find More Posts by Blackjack160
Old Dec 15, 2014, 11:51 PM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,469 Posts
Searched for Shoulder Screws and i finally got results! Thanks a lot!
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member