HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 29, 2013, 02:45 PM
rookie
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Dec 2012
546 Posts
Discussion
charging flight battery

Okay so I bought a 6v 1900ma flight battery . I also bought a receiver switch with a charge plug.
I tried to charge the battery wit the plug on the dx6i charger but did not seem to work. So I fabled up a connector to use my accucell 6 charger to charge the battery.
this seems to be working but will need a different plug when the battery is mounted inside the plane.
Any tips on charging and checking the charge on the flight battery?
Wilf
wilf370 is offline Find More Posts by wilf370
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2013, 03:46 PM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,544 Posts
ok a couple questions just too clarify things.

are you talking about a Nimh pack? with what kinda plug? Jr/Futaba,J plug (does it look the same as a servo plug?

I am not familure with Dx6i charger, and if it has a 4.8v .01 amp charge wire! like the futaba does!
whiskykid is offline Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sig Mustang 450
Old Jul 29, 2013, 04:40 PM
rookie
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Dec 2012
546 Posts
probably the same as the futaba
I think it's .01 amp.
I got it charged with the accucell. yes its a 6v nimh. yea the charge plug looks like a servos plug specktrum
it slides into the switchplug duo-bro. So the chargeplug the part you stick into the airplane to charge the battery would slide over the servos looking plug to charge battery
Old Jul 29, 2013, 09:27 PM
team sleprock
Joined Dec 2009
3,544 Posts
ya that's the thing about NMIH batt's, I had too buy a new charger for mine, those wall chargers will do it but might take a week.

if it's a matter of not being able too charge through the charge jack, the switch must be in the off position, if so then there must be a brake in a wire,or I had the same problem kinda, the plug that went into the charge jack had a Futaba pin on it, and I couldn't get the charge plug all the way in, once I pulled the plug out and trimmed the tab, it worked fine!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 29, 2013, 10:15 PM
rookie
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Dec 2012
546 Posts
well I got the charger from my electric planes. just don't have a proper charge jack for it just a hillbilly jack I made up. It will work for now. just curious what setups others where using.
I have started using my accucell for charging most of my nimh batteries as I can set the charge rate and it shows me how much amps I've put back in the battey
Wilf
Old Jul 29, 2013, 10:31 PM
team sleprock
Joined Dec 2009
3,544 Posts
luckily I had a plug set-up from my voltage meter that has the radio plug too check voltage and already had the banana plugs too plug into my new charger!
http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...6-charger.html
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 30, 2013, 12:54 AM
rookie
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Dec 2012
546 Posts
yea that's the same charger I have. Different brand name. Very handy units.
Wilf
Old Jul 30, 2013, 08:15 AM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,798 Posts
Something to watch out for on those fuse mounted connector holders is the connector sometimes pushes back a bit. Just enough to not make good contact. I dont use them anymore, just let the charge connector wire hang out between the wing and the wing saddle. Are you aware you need break in those NIMH batteries? They need to have about 3 charge/discharge cycles on them. They will work if you dont do that but you get reduced life out of them. Been using them a long time in my planes. Hang Time Batteries has a good write up about them.
Edwin
edwin1 is online now Find More Posts by edwin1