SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Yesterday, 06:59 PM
Joined Mar 2011
259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyclayton View Post
Nice range. I am thinking of doing the same mod. Be interesting to see if the 2.4 gives out before the 5.8. I am thinking that if I do the 5.8 boost for video I may just fly out of control range on 2.4....... Looking for a cheap 5.8 amplifier is next to impossible it seems. cheepest I found was 55 bucks. But it looks nothing like the one you have. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Power...224956256.html
litehawkdown is offline Find More Posts by litehawkdown
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 09:40 PM
Joined Sep 2006
1,655 Posts
I just got an email from SpkyHawk, they have a sale on the D. Ends up being $130 after shipping. Good deal? How do I know if the camera's the newer version?
rcboosted is offline Find More Posts by rcboosted
Old Yesterday, 10:06 PM
Gold Coast Coolangata, Australia
Joined Nov 2003
1,631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyn View Post
I've done the 808 D lens mod and love it (twice now, after I killed my first VTx - oops!), but if you're talking about changing the angle of the camera relative to the horizontal plane of the the quad, there's a super easy mod for that and it's completely reversible. I actually did this one before the D lens mod. I hated that the camera had a 10 or 12 degree downward angle because when moving forward at high speed I was always staring straight at the ground. Now my camera is pointing straight ahead and it's a bit easier to see where I'm going.

Remove the lower frame, then the upper battery tray (4 screws). Push gently but firmly backwards on the box that cups around the camera/lens assembly until the back face of that box is perpendicular to the tray. You won't move it back very much, just 1 or 2mm at the most. Eyeballing the angle is close enough - you can adjust it later if you want to. Before reassembly, peel back the top ~2mm of paper backing on the back of the camera/lens and fold it over. This exposes a thin line of double stick tape which will lightly adhere the camera to the inside of that box and prevent it from falling into its original downward angle again (use some alternate method if you don't like using the double stick tape). You don't want to expose all of the double stick tape, or you'll permanently adhere the camera to the battery tray and never get it apart safely again. Put the upper battery tray back in, install the 4 screws, and mash the camera assembly back in that box until it sticks. Then reassemble the whole thing and you're good to go!

As I said above, you can reverse the whole thing if you don't like it. I much prefer the camera to be pointed straight ahead like this and only ran into problems when I tried to combine the D lens mod and this one - the D lens body extends out of the hole in the frame, limiting how much you can elevate it without more involved mods. But I think this is enough rambling for one post
Great tip, many thanks for this. Makes it much easier to fly indoors now.
TomC is offline Find More Posts by TomC
Old Yesterday, 10:26 PM
Joined Mar 2011
259 Posts
I like the sounds of a more forward facing camera. think I will give that a try.
Old Yesterday, 10:59 PM
Joined Mar 2011
259 Posts
Just ordered a bunch of stuff to do antenna mods to the TX. Going to mod both for longer range. will post back when all the stuff gets here .

Edit: I also went and ordered a bunch of stuff to do a brushless conversion. lol. I can`t stand playing find the burnt out motor drawing all my battery juice. Best to change all four. If I am going to do that might as well go BL with BLheli multi rotor firmware.

In the end these mods will cost me almost as much as the quad and transmitter. So it better rock!
Last edited by litehawkdown; Today at 05:30 AM.
Old Today, 08:59 AM
Joined Oct 2014
311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by litehawkdown View Post
Just ordered a bunch of stuff to do antenna mods to the TX. Going to mod both for longer range. will post back when all the stuff gets here .

Edit: I also went and ordered a bunch of stuff to do a brushless conversion. lol. I can`t stand playing find the burnt out motor drawing all my battery juice. Best to change all four. If I am going to do that might as well go BL with BLheli multi rotor firmware.

In the end these mods will cost me almost as much as the quad and transmitter. So it better rock!
Are you making brushless motors or did you find a source for them? If you found brushless motors that would fit, where did you find them, and what reputation does the manufacturer have for quality? I'd love to see a spec sheet for the motor giving things like efficiency and thrust as that depends on prop and throttle. Do you have links to pages with that data? Presumably you're using something like a nanoMultiWii, but what ESC are you using?
tedbyers is offline Find More Posts by tedbyers