HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 24, 2013, 12:08 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,228 Posts
The Jetco Thermic 50 RC was a really nice flying powered glider with the wing mounted power pod and a TD .010 or .020 and ACE Pulse Commander. Thermalled very well.
I had a lot of fun with a Flyline General Aristocrat with .049 and Ace Pulse commander. I also converted small Comet scale rubber kits to single channel 1/4A and 1/2A power taking advantage of light weight receiver, Adams actuators and battery packs.,
E-Challenged is online now Find More Posts by E-Challenged
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2013, 05:47 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Sep 2010
218 Posts
I'd like to find plans for the Jetco Thermic 50RC. I built one many years ago (1978), but didn't have a radio light enough to fly it. So, I just flew it as a free-flight with a Pee Wee .020 on top. Lots of fun and some really long chases. I did double a Jetco Thermic Trooper in 1976 and flew that as a rudder-only sailplane. It flew very well and I built another for single-channel and a TD .020 on top.
Moeregaard is offline Find More Posts by Moeregaard
Old Jun 24, 2013, 07:14 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, QC, Quebec City
Joined Sep 2006
5,886 Posts
You can get the plan+kit here:
http://www.pennvalleyhobbycenter.com...mthermic50.htm
Also on this page:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=5408
coriolan is online now Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Jul 14, 2013, 11:40 AM
Joined Jul 2013
1 Posts
Original Minnie Mambo still in box with everything wondering what the price is.

I found an old Sterling Model Minnie Mambo and I cant find one anywhere that has the price if anybody can help it will be greatly appreciated.
Rc Planes is offline Find More Posts by Rc Planes
Old Jul 14, 2013, 03:24 PM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Jan 2013
628 Posts
I think my box had $6.95 in pencil on it.
GallopingGhostlr is offline Find More Posts by GallopingGhostlr
Old Sep 12, 2013, 11:27 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,228 Posts
I had a lot of fun with the Thermic 50 RC motor glider. Had a motor pod for .010 or .020 on top of wing, angled upward. Flew nicely with Ace Pulse Proportional rudder-only tail-wagger system with Adams baby twin actuator. Thermalled like crazy, could fly in small venues. Simple stick-model design, plans are probably still available

Oops, redundant to previous post, sorry!
E-Challenged is online now Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Last edited by E-Challenged; Sep 13, 2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 02:13 PM
SantaAna CA
Joined Aug 2003
318 Posts
Wee R/C

Back in the early 60's, in my Model Builder Magazine days, I stirred up the single channel-ers by offering some plans of what we eventually got to call "Wee R/C" Favorite among
them was the Mini Mono, for which I still have full size plans, and they re still available.
At the same time, Cox had available a single channel system called "Fail Safe", with
a two-button transmitter that resulted in left/right, non-proportional control. I worked out a conversion with a two-axis gimbal for normal propo operation, still one channel. I made up a conversion kit with the otherwise impossible to get gimbal and all the other electronics that
Radio Shack no longer stocks, concentrating only on cell phones and over-priced batteries.
Conversion instructions and parts kit are also still available, the advise being to never throw anything away!!! Direct please: eloymz@att.net
EloyM is offline Find More Posts by EloyM
Old Sep 13, 2013, 04:11 AM
Who let the dogs out?
Pontefract, Yorkshire, UK
Joined Jul 2007
1,126 Posts
This year we had our second Single Channel & Retro Radio event, theres a brief report here:
[LINK]
Phil
More retro radio on my Youtube channel PHILG2864 and on www.singlechannel.co.uk
phil_g is offline Find More Posts by phil_g
Last edited by phil_g; Sep 13, 2013 at 04:45 AM.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 12:49 PM
Hey, watch this!
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Feb 2005
469 Posts
Starduster

I hesitate to post this as I’m afraid someone (almost anyone) smarter than me will punch holes in my idea. But since I’m basically a wild and crazy guy, I have decided to throw caution to the wind (in the form of a model airplane, heh, heh, get it?)

Background; in my early days of model airplane playing just over fifty years ago I built some 1/2A Free Flight models that flew with very little success mostly less because I had no understanding of basic setup and trimming – but I thought they were the most beautiful of all model airplanes and so I kept building and crashing them. I thought I might have a chance when I read the Starduster article in the September 1958 issue of American Modeler. I was particularly captivated when it said, “. . . there is no down thrust or side thrust used.” And trimming involved no more than 1/32 ply shims. Alas, I bent that one too.

Fast forward to last winter when I was lining up my cold weather building projects and I thought to myself, “hey you handsome devil why not build a RO project?” well, the Sharkface that glares at me from its usual perch under a pile or ARFs seemed to say, “hey looser you can barely keep me out of the dirt with three channels, do you really think you could handle me with only one?” I turned away in shame knowing that it was true.

Then I had an epiphany when I was sitting down in the “small room” thumbing through one of my treasured old Flying Models when I was looking at some photos of FF planes at the Nats. Inspiration struck like a dose of that well known “fast relief” product – sort of. I said to myself, “Why don’t you build a standard FF model – but control its glide with rudder via R/C, dummy?” I said it so loud that there was an echo.

So here I am, having pondered this idea for almost a year now and this is where all that mental exercise has brought me; the high thrust line of the Starduster could handle the torque of a smallish outrunner on two cells swinging a 7-inch prop. The ESC, receiver, and one 5-gram servo wouldn’t add much weight. And there I’d have a rudder/motor glider that would scratch my itch for some rudder only guidance – at a speed I could likely handle. Motor control would make trimming for climb less painful that a screaming TD would deliver.
Picture it; it’s a cool, calm September morning. The sun is just starting to warm up the air over the recently tilled field. The intrepid model aviationist strides confidently to the flight line, throttles up, and launches the well-constructed craft. Spectators respond with awe inspired oohs and ahs as the model cuts graceful spirals into the firmament. When the ‘duster has become a speck the proud pilot smoothly throttles back and the transition to a sailplane takes place and soon the search for thermals can commence. Ah, I wonder what the poor people are doing.

And then maybe someday I could rig a pop up stab to “dethermalize” for cool landings that I dreamed of in my youth.

So whatcha think guys? Have some of youse already down it? Or am I wasting my valuable time?
Raymond-leflyr is offline Find More Posts by Raymond-leflyr
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 13, 2013, 01:22 PM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Jan 2013
628 Posts
Converting FF to RM (rudder + motor) is more common than you think, and an excellent way to control an FF. Regarding your Starduster, go for it!
GallopingGhostlr is offline Find More Posts by GallopingGhostlr
Old Sep 13, 2013, 03:20 PM
Who let the dogs out?
Pontefract, Yorkshire, UK
Joined Jul 2007
1,126 Posts
Yes indeed - in fact I often leave my Tomboy Senior to its own devices, just occasionally using the rudder to bring it back upwind every few circuits...

... or, you could resurrect that Sharkface, its an excellent rudder-only model and by far the most popular S/C model over here!
phil_g is offline Find More Posts by phil_g
Old Oct 05, 2013, 07:44 PM
Joined Nov 2006
466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond-leflyr View Post
I hesitate to post this as I’m afraid someone (almost anyone) smarter than me will punch holes in my idea. But since I’m basically a wild and crazy guy, I have decided to throw caution to the wind (in the form of a model airplane, heh, heh, get it?)

Background; in my early days of model airplane playing just over fifty years ago I built some 1/2A Free Flight models that flew with very little success mostly less because I had no understanding of basic setup and trimming – but I thought they were the most beautiful of all model airplanes and so I kept building and crashing them. I thought I might have a chance when I read the Starduster article in the September 1958 issue of American Modeler. I was particularly captivated when it said, “. . . there is no down thrust or side thrust used.” And trimming involved no more than 1/32 ply shims. Alas, I bent that one too.

Fast forward to last winter when I was lining up my cold weather building projects and I thought to myself, “hey you handsome devil why not build a RO project?” well, the Sharkface that glares at me from its usual perch under a pile or ARFs seemed to say, “hey looser you can barely keep me out of the dirt with three channels, do you really think you could handle me with only one?” I turned away in shame knowing that it was true.

Then I had an epiphany when I was sitting down in the “small room” thumbing through one of my treasured old Flying Models when I was looking at some photos of FF planes at the Nats. Inspiration struck like a dose of that well known “fast relief” product – sort of. I said to myself, “Why don’t you build a standard FF model – but control its glide with rudder via R/C, dummy?” I said it so loud that there was an echo.

So here I am, having pondered this idea for almost a year now and this is where all that mental exercise has brought me; the high thrust line of the Starduster could handle the torque of a smallish outrunner on two cells swinging a 7-inch prop. The ESC, receiver, and one 5-gram servo wouldn’t add much weight. And there I’d have a rudder/motor glider that would scratch my itch for some rudder only guidance – at a speed I could likely handle. Motor control would make trimming for climb less painful that a screaming TD would deliver.
Picture it; it’s a cool, calm September morning. The sun is just starting to warm up the air over the recently tilled field. The intrepid model aviationist strides confidently to the flight line, throttles up, and launches the well-constructed craft. Spectators respond with awe inspired oohs and ahs as the model cuts graceful spirals into the firmament. When the ‘duster has become a speck the proud pilot smoothly throttles back and the transition to a sailplane takes place and soon the search for thermals can commence. Ah, I wonder what the poor people are doing.

And then maybe someday I could rig a pop up stab to “dethermalize” for cool landings that I dreamed of in my youth.

So whatcha think guys? Have some of youse already down it? Or am I wasting my valuable time?
This post got me to thinking, so I went up into the attic and found a large box filled with various bits of incomplete 1/2A Stardusters. A fifteen second motor run and rudder control would work perfectly for my suburban soccer/flying site. Expanding (literally) on this theme, I found most of a Starduster 900 and a complete, ready to cover (after all joints are inspected carefully) Condor 800. A few of us put our heads together and figured that there is really no difference in blasting up to altitude with a motorglider or an old free flight that has been fortified with RC. Purists may scream about this, but I am thinking that flying Free Flights with electric power and the ability to bring them back to the field is better than not flying them at all. As a matter of fact, it sounds like it could be a whale of a good time!
Fravits is offline Find More Posts by Fravits
Old Oct 06, 2013, 07:34 AM
Marion, OH
Joined Jun 2008
18 Posts
Wee R/C

Eloy...You always had some great insights to the hobby. Glad to see you are still involved...maybe you will start to fly Pylon again.

I recently built one of Dombrowski's electric Nomad's and still have an .020 powered Nomad II. My son built an electric formula I Miss Dara for me....imagine that...a Miss Dara.

Thanks for all of the great articles, Pal.

Dan Kane, Sr.
Shorty59 is offline Find More Posts by Shorty59