Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:13 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Discussion
Cheap A123 cells on the way.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,7105416.story

Well, the A123 cell is officially pretty much Chinese property now.

Shouldn't be long before we in this trivial little market for A123s will be able to buy cheaper, higher capacity cells.

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:35 AM
Commerce Township, MI
Joined Aug 2001
4,519 Posts
Thanks for the 'news' Dereck. Interesting. Not sure we'll get different capacities. I'm afraid they won't be even concentrating on the cells we use now, as their 'other' cells are what is mostly being used. Dang it.
Ken Myers is online now Find More Posts by Ken Myers
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:43 AM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,863 Posts
we can always take apart them dewalt cells like we always do
and if that isn't available, what's stopping us from taking apart REAL car batteries and using those
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:46 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,377 Posts
The disappointing thing about all this is that I'm sure none of the money from the sale will go to pay back those federal grants.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:49 AM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcalldaylong View Post
we can always take apart them dewalt cells like we always do
and if that isn't available, what's stopping us from taking apart REAL car batteries and using those
Problem is that Dewalt no longer uses A123 cells. Fortunately, I have a large stash of DC9280's.

Also, car batteries typically use prismatic cells which are not very useful for our applications. http://www.a123systems.com/prismatic-cell-amp20.htm

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:52 AM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
Problem is that Dewalt no longer uses A123 cells. Fortunately, I have a large stash of DC9280's.

Also, car batteries typically use prismatic cells which are not very useful for our applications. http://www.a123systems.com/prismatic-cell-amp20.htm

Mark
Oh, I know. I was joking!
well, we still have HobbyKing to fall back on
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:09 AM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,860 Posts
If the manufacturer no longer manufacturers them then it's only a matter of time before the supply chain runs dry.
Ohmic is online now Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:24 AM
JustFlying
Joined Dec 2005
2,437 Posts
As good as A123 2.3Ah is, I decided some time ago that I will only use the packs I have until they are done for and not buy ant LiFePO4 anymore. That is unless they drastically improve to compare with the LiPo of the day. So, no loss for me here.
rebell is offline Find More Posts by rebell
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:38 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Snip from posted link.

Quote:
Just over a week ago Energy Secretary Steven Chu came to Chicago to announce that the DOE would spend an additional $120 million to enhance battery technology at Argonne National Laboratory in suburban Lemont.

“You have to be in this game,” Chu told the Tribune when the announcement was made.

In fact, the hub is designed to build batteries that are five times more powerful at a fifth of the cost in five years using a strategy that has been compared to the Manhattan Project, which led to the first atomic bomb.
Now where have I read similiar claims in the past?

I view this thread as just another prime canadite to be added to Julez's miracle battery anouncement thread.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Dec 10, 2012 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Put Snip Quote in quotes
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:21 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,860 Posts
Just a few short years ago 1,000W chargers were unheard of and many complained about the cost of Honda generators for field charging. Now they're the norm.

Who knows what the future holds....
Ohmic is online now Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:24 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohmic View Post
Just a few short years ago 1,000W chargers were unheard of and many complained about the cost of Honda generators for field charging. Now they're the norm.

Who knows what the future holds....
LOL! off topic, but I just picked up a HF $88 generator.

I decided to go this route after getting into bigger planes (60"+ ws) and having to pay upwards of 50+ per Lipo. and Yea, the 1000w chargers are expensive, but heck, it's much better than buying 10x $90 Lipos
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:23 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,272 Posts
When will Americans learn ?

There are a TON of Wall Street companies & US Government relatives & mistresses sitting at a LOT of LIFEPO4 desks waiting for a fat cat pension payout.

We WILL pay for it.
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:25 PM
Joined Mar 2003
9,272 Posts
I am sorry.

We WILL pay for all Chinese R & D to sell us safer & more efficient LIFEPO4 batteries.

More correct.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:02 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A123_Systems

Not bad. From start-up developing the A123 in 2001 to bankrupt and sold to China.

Now, our dear little cells can set off down the same road as MIG jet fighters, the AK 47, BMW's X5, those little outrunners we love in our hobby and who knows what else the Chinese have ripped off.

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:12 PM
Joined Mar 2003
9,272 Posts
Actually

We destroyed the A123 battery fortunes in America by greedy speculators, incompetant bussiness leaders, bloated saleries of top management & the creation of a federal pork barrel. It has never been competitive in anything except raising taxes & peeing it away to very savy Asians with a good work ethic.

Garbage in.....garbage out. Plus expenses of course.